Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
So after 1 week and I can't get used to the 27"

So I might go back to the MAXed out 21" or dare I say the rMBP

Question is, whats better on the GPU as both have 650 GPU, but the rMBP is 1GB ram but higher screen res

I've currently got the 680MX in this 27", gutted to see it go but the screen fonts and menu's just hurt my eyes

Dont know why but its not good and my eyes feel dry using it

Mac_i_Am

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2004
austin, tx

Question is, whats better on the GPU as both have 650 GPU, but the rMBP is 1GB ram but higher screen res

I've currently got the 680MX in this 27", gutted to see it go but the screen fonts and menu's just hurt my eyes

I thought you could increase the fint size in system pref?
What about changing the resolution?

For web, Cmnd + =(equal key) increases everything.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011

Seriously? Who can't get used to a bigger screen?!?! So strange to see these posts. I often wonder if it's people trying to justify returning because they have guilt having spent money they didn't have. It's the only thing I can think of.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I somewhat felt the same way until I got "Zoom" for Chrome. Its a much better experience now. You can also make the font in iTunes bigger as well as the font in Finder. It is good now for me after doing these changes.

mapleleafer

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2009
It's the only thing I can think of.

From your post, I'm not surprised.

Problems with the 27" (and the 21.5") have been reported before. If the OP can, get to a store and have a look at the 21.5'. The fonts are much more readable.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Seriously? Who can't get used to a bigger screen?!?! So strange to see these posts. I often wonder if it's people trying to justify returning because they have guilt having spent money they didn't have. It's the only thing I can think of.

I am also in the camp that doesn't like the resolution of the 27-inch. I haven't liked it for years, but it has been the only option if you want the high-end specs. I prefer the old 24-inch size and resolution for work and web browsing. The 27 is great for playing games, but for everything else I find it annoying that everything is so small. I'm using a 20-inch Dell display right now and prefer it for web browsing.

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008

Mate,

I paid cash for the machine and dont have an issue with cost.

I dont want to pay £2k for a device which hurts and damages my eyes

----------

You say go back to 21... What made you go 21 to 27?

Yeah I had a 2010 21" and the GPU was struggling

When I read about the 680MX only in the 27" and the upgradeable RAM I decided on the 27"

----------

From your post, I'm not surprised.

Problems with the 27" (and the 21.5") have been reported before. If the OP can, get to a store and have a look at the 21.5'. The fonts are much more readable.

Yes I have been to the store. The 21 feels alot easy on the eyes

Why is the 27" slightly smaller but so much different to the eye

Its a real shame

----------

I am also in the camp that doesn't like the resolution of the 27-inch. I haven't liked it for years, but it has been the only option if you want the high-end specs. I prefer the old 24-inch size and resolution for work and web browsing. The 27 is great for playing games, but for everything else I find it annoying that everything is so small. I'm using a 20-inch Dell display right now and prefer it for web browsing.

So have you still got the 27". You sig has it crossed out ?

Does that mean its gone back ?

I'm really thinking of trying a rMBP..

Is the 21.5" and rMBP both desktop CPU or mobile CPU ?

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
My vision isn't perfect, but my god, there seem to be a lot of people who need glasses and are in denial if the 27" model's text is too small, LOL.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Beerglass007: Is it mainly web browsing? If so try this:

-download firefox and in tools/options/content/fonts and colors,advanced,change min font size to 15 or 16.
-then download firefox extension "theme font and size changer" and set size to 14 or 15
theme font and size changer

sucramdi

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
Quebec
If were to have similar feelings, would I be able to exchange my iMac at the Apple store for a different mac even after the return period is over?

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
So have you still got the 27". You sig has it crossed out ?

Does that mean its gone back ?

I'm really thinking of trying a rMBP.

I returned mine due to a problem and haven't decided what I'm going to replace it with. I'm actually using my dad's computer while I decide what to do.

Here is a post of mine from three years ago discussing the screen size.
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/9280516/

Personally, I find web browsing and general use to be much better on a smaller screen. I never adjusted to the 27-inch for web browsing, email, and word processing, but I loved playing games on it.

In 2011, I bought a 21.5-inch iMac, and it was a relief to use it for web browsing, but it was too small for working or playing games.

I wish that they'd enable the scaled resolutions that are on the Retina MacBook Pro for the iMac, because if you could bump up the resolution to maybe 120% it would be great. I do that when I use Windows on the 27-inch, and it works great, except only Microsoft apps seem to be DPI aware.

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
i returned mine due to a problem and haven't decided what i'm going to replace it with. I'm actually using my dad's computer while i decide what to do.

personally, i find web browsing and general use to be much better on a smaller screen. I never adjusted to the 27-inch for web browsing, email, and word processing, but i loved playing games on it.

In 2011, i bought a 21.5-inch imac, and it was a relief to use it for web browsing, but it was too small for working or playing games.

I wish that they'd enable the scaled resolutions that are on the retina macbook pro for the imac, because if you could bump up the resolution to maybe 120% it would be great. I do that when i use windows on the 27-inch, and it works great, except only microsoft apps seem to be dpi aware.

totally agree!!!!!!!!!

Spot on mate!!!!!

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I somewhat felt the same way until I got "Zoom" for Chrome. Its a much better experience now. You can also make the font in iTunes bigger as well as the font in Finder. It is good now for me after doing these changes.

I do the same, but Chrome doesn't play very nice with a lot of web pages when zoomed. At least on the Mac. That feature seems to work much better in Windows than on OSX.

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
I returned mine due to a problem and haven't decided what I'm going to replace it with. I'm actually using my dad's computer while I decide what to do.

Personally, I find web browsing and general use to be much better on a smaller screen. I never adjusted to the 27-inch for web browsing, email, and word processing, but I loved playing games on it.

In 2011, I bought a 21.5-inch iMac, and it was a relief to use it for web browsing, but it was too small for working or playing games.

I wish that they'd enable the scaled resolutions that are on the Retina MacBook Pro for the iMac, because if you could bump up the resolution to maybe 120% it would be great. I do that when I use Windows on the 27-inch, and it works great, except only Microsoft apps seem to be DPI aware.

I think I'm going to send it back and get the rMBP and a 24" IPS screen running a lower native res

Then I have best of all worlds

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
Dude, it is not damaging your eyes...straining possibly, but not damaging. How old are you? Makes a difference.

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Dude, it is not damaging your eyes...straining possibly, but not damaging. How old are you? Makes a difference.

I had a 21" imac for 2.5 years no issues, work on a Lenovo T410 laptop 8 hours a day no problems.

Get a 27" imac....bang my eyes burn and hurt

Trust me i'm gutted and want to love this machine, but my eyes don't and its hurting my head....

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia

That is weird, i went from a 24" to the 27" and i have LESS strain on my eyes now. Perhaps you need to look at getting glasses as your eyes could be the actual issue. Im not meaning to be rude btw.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006

I had a 21" imac for 2.5 years no issues, work on a Lenovo T410 laptop 8 hours a day no problems.

Get a 27" imac....bang my eyes burn and hurt

Trust me i'm gutted and want to love this machine, but my eyes don't and its hurting my head....

After going from the 21.5-inch iMac to the 27-inch, I found my eyes being strained too. I think it's because the screen is so large and bright. Turning the brightness down might help that.

I think I'm going to send it back and get the rMBP and a 24" IPS screen running a lower native res

Then I have best of all worlds

That would be a good setup, if you can find a display you like. I haven't found anything that looks as good, to me, as the Apple displays.

My hope is that Apple will someday begin offering monitors in multiple sizes again, and release a headless iMac that uses desktop video cards. I'm afraid that will never happen, though.

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
My vision is corrected annually and it makes no difference, the 27" 1440p displays strain my eyes a bit more than lower res screens.. I don't really care though as I want the real estate.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Bottom line if you're having issues with the 27" screen, then return it and get the 21". Generally the larger the monitor the better off most people are but if you're incurring eye strain, headaches etc then why suffer.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER

Perhaps the real problem isn't the computer, but your eyes? You might want to get them checked. If you are around 40 and don't already wear glasses then you are in the cross hairs of needing reading glasses. I now have to wear reading glasses to use my computer as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.