Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:35 PM   #1
prfrma
macrumors regular

A petition: Swype/Swiftkey Flow

I think this is the biggest feature I want for the next version iOS.

Am I alone?

Would you like to form a petition to get Tim Cook to include it as options within iOS?
prfrma is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:36 PM   #2
bobfitz14
macrumors 65816

Would love to have this feature...though undecided about a petition
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:38 PM   #3
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God

It would be nice for sure but I wouldn't get too excited about Apple including it any time soon.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:31 PM   #4
AlphaVictor87
macrumors 6502a

I'm just not sure about the screen size. i think that its just a bit too small for this feature but that's just me. Would be nice though because i love using it on my nexus 7 and very much looking forward to it when i switch over to android for my next phone.
AlphaVictor87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:35 PM   #5
snappyfool
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaVictor87 View Post
I'm just not sure about the screen size. i think that its just a bit too small for this feature but that's just me. Would be nice though because i love using it on my nexus 7 and very much looking forward to it when i switch over to android for my next phone.
iPad?
snappyfool is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:51 PM   #6
Carlanga
macrumors 603

petitions for stuff like this or mostly anything don't work.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:21 PM   #7
prfrma
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
petitions for stuff like this or mostly anything don't work.
Maybe just a large number of us sending emails to tcook@apple.com requesting the feature?

They're not deaf to the needs of there consumers...
prfrma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:29 PM   #8
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Swype doesn't work for words that aren't in the dictionary. Thus, it's not as "flexible" as a QWERTY keyboard. Plus, there is a pretty good predictive dictionary feature built into iOS already. Type the first few characters and it will predict what word you are trying to type.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:43 PM   #9
AlphaVictor87
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappyfool View Post
iPad?
good point lol
AlphaVictor87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:01 PM   #10
Nale72
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
there is a pretty good predictive dictionary feature built into iOS already. Type the first few characters and it will predict what word you are trying to type.
Yes, but it could be better. I miss the predicition feature from my past Androids, where I got multiple predictions instead of only one. There were still one default prediction that you chose by clicking a blank, just like on the iOS. But if you wanted another predicted word you just clicked on that one. And on my HTC at least, you also got the letters you had written in a "bubble" that you added to your personal dictionary by clicking/chosing.
Nale72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:13 PM   #11
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nale72 View Post
Yes, but it could be better. I miss the predicition feature from my past Androids, where I got multiple predictions instead of only one. There were still one default prediction that you chose by clicking a blank, just like on the iOS. But if you wanted another predicted word you just clicked on that one. And on my HTC at least, you also got the letters you had written in a "bubble" that you added to your personal dictionary by clicking/chosing.
If I'm understanding your post correctly, the last feature you mentioned is in iOS too. You can type "omw" and it will type "on my way". Or "ymmv" and it will type "your mileage may vary".
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:17 PM   #12
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by prfrma View Post
Maybe just a large number of us sending emails to tcook@apple.com requesting the feature?

They're not deaf to the needs of there consumers...
lol nope, this is not a feature many want anymore, maybe when it came out it would have been more possible to request it. Even google has it's own version of swype now and I don't think apple wants to be called a copycat on a keyboard.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:27 PM   #13
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

This is my least favorite feature on my Android phone to be honest.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:56 PM   #14
prfrma
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
lol nope, this is not a feature many want anymore, maybe when it came out it would have been more possible to request it. Even google has it's own version of swype now and I don't think apple wants to be called a copycat on a keyboard.
So swiftkey and Android following on from Samsung and HTC have embedded swype as a bonified feature and your trying to argue that the reason they did this was because no one wants it anymore?

I like swype because it feels like calligraphy, but instead of writing letters, your writing words or sentences, it's fluid, gesture based typing on a surface that demands nothing less, and every time I use it I find it fun.
prfrma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:20 PM   #15
TaEbOm
macrumors member

Quote:
Swype doesn't work for words that aren't in the dictionary. Thus, it's not as "flexible" as a QWERTY keyboard. Plus, there is a pretty good predictive dictionary feature built into iOS already. Type the first few characters and it will predict what word you are trying to type.
You can easily add words to the dictionary and swype them with ease so it is flexible.
TaEbOm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:29 PM   #16
aerok
macrumors 65816

The best thing about Swift Keyboard is the multilanguage function. I text in both English and French, there is no need to switch keyboard everytime, Swiftkey can correct for both language at the same time. Very intuitive.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:36 PM   #17
dcpmark
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I think this is the biggest feature I want for the next version iOS.

Am I alone?
No, I'm a huge fan, and I really miss these keyboards from my android days that ended with the iPhone 5. That, widgets, and a "clear all notifications" button.
dcpmark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:23 PM   #18
phositadc
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Uh you do know that with Swype keyboards you can tap letters, too, right? There is really no downside to a good Swype keyboard. I would love having Swype on iPhone.

Also, good predictive keyboards predict your next word before you type any letters at all. Apple's prediction is fail compared to Swype or swift key.
phositadc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:12 PM   #19
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Quote:
So swiftkey and Android following on from Samsung and HTC have embedded swype as a bonified feature and your trying to argue that the reason they did this was because no one wants it anymore?

I like swype because it feels like calligraphy, but instead of writing letters, your writing words or sentences, it's fluid, gesture based typing on a surface that demands nothing less, and every time I use it I find it fun.
I was referring on the apple side not the droid side. When it was hot everybody wanted to have it on the iPhone, never came except some crappy attempts on the jb side, now w/ the new smarter apple keyboards there is no need unless you were coming from android.

That is fine, but is your choice.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:41 AM   #20
Nale72
macrumors regular

Quote:
If I'm understanding your post correctly, the last feature you mentioned is in iOS too. You can type "omw" and it will type "on my way". Or "ymmv" and it will type "your mileage may vary".
Then you didn't understand it correctly . You are talking about pre-defined words, which is available in both iOS and Android. But you have to go into the keyboard/spelling/dictionary settings and add them manually before you can use them, right?

What I'm talking about is that you can type a word or a name that isn't in the dictionary (and therefore won't show up as a predictive word) and the letters you have written will be in a bubble furthest to the left, with predictive words to the right of it, with a default word highlighted (that will be chosen if you press blank). If you want to write your spelled word and also want it to be added to your dictionary you just press it.

As far as I understand, the only way of adding a word to your personal dictionary is to manually add it under settings. Or does it automatically add the words you type and not correct using the predicted word? If the latter is the case, the only thing I miss is getting multiple predicted words when typing .
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:02 PM   #21
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nale72 View Post
Then you didn't understand it correctly . You are talking about pre-defined words, which is available in both iOS and Android. But you have to go into the keyboard/spelling/dictionary settings and add them manually before you can use them, right?

What I'm talking about is that you can type a word or a name that isn't in the dictionary (and therefore won't show up as a predictive word) and the letters you have written will be in a bubble furthest to the left, with predictive words to the right of it, with a default word highlighted (that will be chosen if you press blank). If you want to write your spelled word and also want it to be added to your dictionary you just press it.

As far as I understand, the only way of adding a word to your personal dictionary is to manually add it under settings. Or does it automatically add the words you type and not correct using the predicted word? If the latter is the case, the only thing I miss is getting multiple predicted words when typing .
You can add new words on the fly. iOS learns as you type. So over time, it will be able to better predict what you are intending to type. This works for words/phrases not in the dictionary.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by phositadc View Post
Uh you do know that with Swype keyboards you can tap letters, too, right? There is really no downside to a good Swype keyboard. I would love having Swype on iPhone.

Also, good predictive keyboards predict your next word before you type any letters at all. Apple's prediction is fail compared to Swype or swift key.
Then what's the point of Swype? If I don't use the swipe feature, it's no different than the regular default keyboard.

YMMV, but the iOS keyboard predicts my next word sometimes. Most of the time it's correct. What I would want to see is a keyboard that isn't linear and can map the keys based on finger travel. So even if you type slightly slanted or missed a key by a 1mm or something, it will dynamically shift the entire keyboard so it fits your typing patterns. I think someone made this before and it was available as an app for jailbroken devices.

Another cool thing would be typing on any given surface. Like this:

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1671234/...phone-keyboard

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaEbOm View Post
You can easily add words to the dictionary and swype them with ease so it is flexible.
I didn't know. Thanks for the info though.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:45 PM   #22
JetBlack7
macrumors 68000

Personally I'm quite satisfied with the current keyboard option and layout.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:37 PM   #23
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

I'm not against this, I think it'd be pretty cool, but this petition will go as far as the one to deport Piers Morgan, no where.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:26 PM   #24
MEJHarrison
macrumors 6502

I would like to have the option. Never tried it personally, but it would be fun to fool with.

Still, I think it would be a good addition. If nothing else, it might convince my girlfriend to switch someday. Yes, Swipe is one of her big reasons for loving her Galaxy SIII.

I fail to see the harm in adding a new keyboard that can still behave just like the old keyboard.
MEJHarrison is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:45 AM   #25
Nale72
macrumors regular

Quote:
You can add new words on the fly. iOS learns as you type. So over time, it will be able to better predict what you are intending to type. This works for words/phrases not in the dictionary.
Thanks, didn't know that. Sounds great, even though it would be even better to be able to add them right away "on the fly" .

Quote:
Then what's the point of Swype? If I don't use the swipe feature, it's no different than the regular default keyboard.
If you don't want to use the function, it wouldn't be a point, but to the ones wanting it it would. And since you can type just as normal it wouldn't be any downsides for you and others don't using it, only upsides for the ones who wants it.

Quote:
What I would want to see is a keyboard that isn't linear and can map the keys based on finger travel. So even if you type slightly slanted or missed a key by a 1mm or something, it will dynamically shift the entire keyboard so it fits your typing patterns. I think someone made this before and it was available as an app for jailbroken devices.
I thought I had seen a keyboard calibration option on iPhone, but can't find it now. I can't remember if I had it on my Xperia Ray (think so but not sure), but I'm sure you could calibrate the keyboards on my past HTC phones so that it would suit the way you typed.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6