Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:01 PM   #26
aerok
macrumors 65816

I thought the same until I bought the Note II. Took me time to get used to it but now I can't imagine using anything smaller!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:31 PM   #27
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide opeN View Post
I'll chime in once again.

I used to think that AMOLED was wack, what with it's less that stellar brightness in the daytime and that blueish hue.
Sounds about right
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:06 PM   #28
kdarling
macrumors G5

One reason big screens are popular is that many of us use our smartphone for everything, except as a phone most of the time.

Personally, I take maybe one or two calls a day. All my other usage is web browsing or news or weather or shopping or TV or other apps... all of which look and work much better on a bigger screen. In fact, the bigger the better.
kdarling is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:51 PM   #29
ChrisTX
macrumors 68030

I used to think I wanted a massive phablet, but after using the Nexus 4 I've come to realize that it truly is the perfect size. I ALWAYS have my LTE iPad with me so the LTE argument is really a mute point for me, and the screen is large enough, even with the Soft buttons at the bottom.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:02 PM   #30
Nabooly
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
I thought the same until I bought the Note II. Took me time to get used to it but now I can't imagine using anything smaller!
Agree....the short week it took me to adjust is nothing in comparison to the huge increase in functionality and productivity!
Nabooly is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:35 PM   #31
isephmusic
macrumors 6502

The reason I don't buy phablets is because there are days you go to sixflags/the beach/ sporting events where it's just not possible and that's why the market for a 4inch to 4.5 inch phone would be ideal in addition to the perfect size of an iPad mini accompanying a high end laptop for real work uses
isephmusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:24 AM   #32
Saturn1217
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Not trying to dispute your experience but since this persists (especially in Android forums) I wish to provide a counter example.

I went from a 3.8-inch mytouch 4g to a 4.65-inch galaxy nexus.

I LOVE this phone.

I have been using it for many months now so I think I am sufficiently used to it.

The phone is still too big.

If I could buy a 4.3-inch galaxy nexus (or other stock android device). I would in a heart beat.

But no one offers such a phone so just like iOS users who might prefer a larger screen, on the android side I am stuck with a phone I fear dropping every time I try to use it on a crowded bus one-handed (not an unusual scenario).

Again I have no issue with people who like bigger phones. But it is annoying that you can't buy a quality smaller phone with android (that has any possibility of getting software support).

Ok I'm done now...
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:18 AM   #33
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn1217 View Post
Not trying to dispute your experience but since this persists (especially in Android forums) I wish to provide a counter example.

I went from a 3.8-inch mytouch 4g to a 4.65-inch galaxy nexus.

I LOVE this phone.

I have been using it for many months now so I think I am sufficiently used to it.

The phone is still too big.

If I could buy a 4.3-inch galaxy nexus (or other stock android device). I would in a heart beat.

But no one offers such a phone so just like iOS users who might prefer a larger screen, on the android side I am stuck with a phone I fear dropping every time I try to use it on a crowded bus one-handed (not an unusual scenario).

Again I have no issue with people who like bigger phones. But it is annoying that you can't buy a quality smaller phone with android (that has any possibility of getting software support).

Ok I'm done now...
To each his own, I don't mind a large phone as I do not require any one handed operations so all is good with me. And when I actually do, it's for simple browsing so one handed works just works fine!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:36 AM   #34
sagar4995
macrumors 6502a

i've never used the note 2, and everytmie i spot 1 i think its ridiculously huge!! interesting to read that users actually love it... i cant see myself using one, but then again, i never have...
Instagram ID - SagarChablani
sagar4995 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:44 AM   #35
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Silly is good, just remember they only build what sells.
maxosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:45 AM   #36
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagar4995 View Post
i've never used the note 2, and everytmie i spot 1 i think its ridiculously huge!! interesting to read that users actually love it... i cant see myself using one, but then again, i never have...
I see alot of iPhone users squint and cramp up their hands because of how ridiculously small their screen is.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:01 AM   #37
sagar4995
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
I see alot of iPhone users squint and cramp up their hands because of how ridiculously small their screen is.
hahaha. touche.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:27 AM   #38
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Damn... And I thought my S5603 had a big screen when I got it (I guess it was bigger than the screens of the fliptops everyone else had at the time in my town )

mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:29 AM   #39
adder7712
macrumors 68000

I thought the first iPhone had a "massive" screen when it came out 5 years ago.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:32 AM   #40
F123D
macrumors 68040

Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
Quote:
My very first reaction when I saw one in person was wow, that's pretty big. Once I spent some time and played around with it, I absolutely love it. 5" is probably as small as I'll go from now on.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:14 AM   #41
hyteckit

Quote:
If they are squinting at the iPhone, they'll probably be squinting on a Nexus 4 or 13" laptop too because of their poor eyesight.
hyteckit is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:50 AM   #42
greenyoga
macrumors member

I think that's too small,it will be difficult to type,and not convenient for the game.
greenyoga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:04 AM   #43
Sounds Good
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
One reason big screens are popular is that many of us use our smartphone for everything, except as a phone most of the time. Personally, I take maybe one or two calls a day. All my other usage is web browsing or news or weather or shopping or TV or other apps...
Bingo. This is me. And this is why I'd like a screen that's larger/wider than my current iPhone 4. I'm just concerned that the Galaxy Note 2 might be a tad *too* big, so I'm trying to find the right size for me. Any thoughts on that, since we seem to have the same needs?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by isephmusic View Post
there are days you go to sixflags/the beach/ sporting events
Perfect example of one of my concerns!
Sounds Good is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:27 AM   #44
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
First time I saw it I thought the same but what I took into account was the user reviews and all users absolutely love it and size wasnt an issue so I just went and got one and they were right and I love the size, when I pick up my wifes 4s it seems soo tiny. I cant go back to anything much smaller now.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:37 AM   #45
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

I think everything smaller than the note is ok, the dna is ok buy the galaxy s 3 is the perfect phone size.

The note 2I always said was way too big, but the more I play with it, the more I'm realizing how wrong I was, Samsung did big premium phone the right way.

Unlike LG and their "intuition" which is a brick of a phablet.

4" is too small

----------

IPhone feels like a cheap kids toy when you've played with an s3 or note 2.

But we all know the iphone 5 isn't a kids toy, is a mid range premium priced smartphone
thehustleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:23 AM   #46
sagar4995
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
First time I saw it I thought the same but what I took into account was the user reviews and all users absolutely love it and size wasnt an issue so I just went and got one and they were right and I love the size, when I pick up my wifes 4s it seems soo tiny. I cant go back to anything much smaller now.
yeah ur not the 1st person im hearing this from. i picked up a galaxy s3 n fell in love with the screen size. used to have an i4 so for me, it was a huge change. 1 month into the s3, my wife gifted me an i5 for my bday so i got back into the apple world n gave away my s3 to my father in law. apart from the screen size, and the widget customization on the android i wasnt too impressed with the android as i ran into quite a few bugs n issues... but, this thread isni't about that. incase anyone's curious to know the issues i faced, lemme know n ill happily discuss them.

IMO, if they made the i5 4.5", that'd be killer!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:32 AM   #47
ChrisTX
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by isephmusic View Post
The reason I don't buy phablets is because there are days you go to sixflags/the beach/ sporting events where it's just not possible.
Why is a Note II or an equivalent not possible at these places? That really makes no sense to me.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:07 AM   #48
vikingjunior
macrumors 6502

Quote:
yeah ur not the 1st person im hearing this from. i picked up a galaxy s3 n fell in love with the screen size. used to have an i4 so for me, it was a huge change. 1 month into the s3, my wife gifted me an i5 for my bday so i got back into the apple world n gave away my s3 to my father in law. apart from the screen size, and the widget customization on the android i wasnt too impressed with the android as i ran into quite a few bugs n issues... but, this thread isni't about that. incase anyone's curious to know the issues i faced, lemme know n ill happily discuss them.

IMO, if they made the i5 4.5", that'd be killer!
Then they would have to create a back button and Apple is to stubborn to do that!
vikingjunior is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:43 AM   #49
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
What amazes me is the UI designers haven't taken size into account and designed GUIs that can be sensibly used for important stuff with one hand (left or right)
They do on the Note 2, but I agree that I'd like to see more of those features spread throughout the other apps. We are going to be calling on the devs to add in a few more features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwhaler View Post
Weird argument. 4.6 is perfect, but 4.8 is too big and 5.0 is obscene? The make a variety so customers can pick up what is right for them, which for me happens to be 5.5 at the moment ... keep in mind that certain features like split window multitasking really benefits from a larger screen size and wouldn't work well on something below 5" unless it was 1080p.
Agreed, and split screen multitasking is one of the many features that drew me to the Note 2. In the end, the screen size thing is all relative. We used to think the iPhone's 3.5" screen was huge. Hell, I remember when DSLRs got those enormous 1.8" screens on the back of them.

Quote:
Same here. I did however never forget the Palm TX which is surprisingly around the same size as the Note 2. I've finally been able to replace my TX with something worthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
One reason big screens are popular is that many of us use our smartphone for everything, except as a phone most of the time.

Personally, I take maybe one or two calls a day. All my other usage is web browsing or news or weather or shopping or TV or other apps... all of which look and work much better on a bigger screen. In fact, the bigger the better.
You always come and add sensible statements to any conversation. I tip my hat to you sir, and agree with your statement with extreme gusto.

Quote:
To each his own, I don't mind a large phone as I do not require any one handed operations so all is good with me. And when I actually do, it's for simple browsing so one handed works just works fine!
Interesting thing is it's nearly impossible to do any meaningful typing on the iPhone with one hand. You need two, even on a tiny screen like that. Anything else really is a one handed task. The same thing goes for just about every phone I've ever used, big or small.

Quote:
That, or they are always zooming into a webpage to see what's going on, then scrolling and scrolling and scrolling only after reading a few lines.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:13 AM   #50
maccompatible
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
My very first reaction when I saw one in person was wow, that's pretty big. Once I spent some time and played around with it, I absolutely love it. 5" is probably as small as I'll go from now on.
maccompatible is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices