Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Nice! I literally just got my ST Sim and am going to set it up on my iPhone 4. If I won't have to fool around to get MMS to work it will be sweet.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Data is not a problem. MMS is. An iPhone Configuration Utility profile, even those provided by unlockit.co.nz, will not provide the proper settings for MMS. MMS can only be achieved on Straight Talk on the iPhone through a) the T-Mobile SIM swap trick or b) jailbreaking.

Why? Because the phone automatically uses AT&T's carrier bundle, which automatically uses the AT&T MMS settings and disables any changes to said settings. The only way to "properly" fix the issue is for Apple to issue a Straight Talk carrier bundle.

Not entirely true. I just set my mother in law up with an iPhone 4 on straight talk and got MMS to work using the unlocker.nz etc. but I imagine since Walmart is selling this, the workaround won't be needed. I think.

----------

Nice! I literally just got my ST Sim and am going to set it up on my iPhone 4. If I won't have to fool around to get MMS to work it will be sweet.

Good luck. It took me 3 hours of trial and error getting the ST sim to work on the inlaws iPhone 4. Well, the MMS anyway. What a pain.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Unseemly

This may be the last straw. The iPhone 5? At Wall*Mart? On their prepay plan?

The Apple brand is becoming like Volkswagen was in 1965.

breeze

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2006
Apple's eating everybody's lunch

Tim Cook is expanding and taking Apple's ubiquity and distribution model where no man has gone before. This is his expertise.. coupled with Apple's DNA it will be monumental.

The empire expands to that make it's new corporate spaceship offices worthy...

davidgrimm

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2006
North Texas
ST saves more than $950 over ATT.

I don't see how this really saves anything. I pay $150/month for two iPhones on AT&T with unlimited text and data, and more minutes than we can ever use. (I think I have 8000 rollover minutes right now.) The old iPhones can be sold for almost as much as a new phone costs every two years, so they are basically free at this point. So... $140 with crippled voicemail or $150 for the real thing. Wow, $10. How does that add up to $950?

Well, lets look at 1 iPhone.

ATT
phone = $200
24 months of service at $110 (4 gig of data) = 2,640

Total ATT costs (before taxes) = 2,840

ST
Phone = $650
24 months of service at $45 = $1,080

Total ST (before taxes) = $1,730

Savings = $1,110 over the 2 year contract.

The phones are worth the same at the end of the 24 month period. ATT subsidizes the phone for a profit. Did you think they were simply giving it to you?

The ability to say change plans without being tied by a nasty contract to an uncaring company = priceless!

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri

Then don't buy it. Waste your money on a "classy" phone plan with a "classy" phone. The rest of us will save over $1000 a year and nobody will know who our provider is or where we bought our phone.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002

I was wondering when this kinda post was gonna show up XD. It almost made me lol in real life. :)

ElZeus

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
Someone needs to buy one of these new ST branded iphone 5's and test two things.

1. Is it unlocked? (work with tmobile usa out of the box)
2. Does this perticular model's visual voicemail/MMS work out of the box (one of the downsides of using ST)

LoL @ all the people butt hurt about an iphone being sold at walmart on a mvno and at the people ashamed of being on ST. First world problems.:confused:

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
LoL @ all the people butt hurt about an iphone being sold at walmart on a mvno and at the people ashamed of being on ST. First world problems.:confused:

Maybe you Just Don't Get It. But some of us started buying Apple stuff in the early 1980's.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I get it. Your position is disgusting. They are computer products, not some ticket into a special club.

In the 90s, kids in schools in low income areas were using Apple products. How do I know this? I went to one. Does that bother you? If it does, you are a disgusting person.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Data is not a problem. MMS is. An iPhone Configuration Utility profile, even those provided by unlockit.co.nz, will not provide the proper settings for MMS. MMS can only be achieved on Straight Talk on the iPhone through a) the T-Mobile SIM swap trick or b) jailbreaking.

Why? Because the phone automatically uses AT&T's carrier bundle, which automatically uses the AT&T MMS settings and disables any changes to said settings. The only way to "properly" fix the issue is for Apple to issue a Straight Talk carrier bundle.

Shouldn't an iPhone sold by a supported carrier come with the appropriate carrier files?

Do we know if the ST phones will come unlocked? (Or if an unlocked iPhone5 from the Apple store is a viable alternative?)

Last edited:

Magrathea

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
The logic behind this comment is baffling. The transfer of 2 GB of "information" to your phone is the same information at HSPA and LTE, you just get it faster at LTE speeds, so when you're trying to look up a phone number it takes 1 second instead of 10 seconds to access the same info.

It's like saying if you had to chose between home internet capped at 1GB per month that it's better to have dial up instead of cable\dsl because it's the same amount of data. WTF... use some common sense people. Same data consumption, but stuff gets to you 10x as fast with LTE.

Show me your data that supports this mate!

No, not so fast. Sure dial up and a 1Mbps are easy to see the difference between but when it come to say 3-5Mbps and 30Mbps you really think that the page will load that much faster. In theory yes but unless the ping times, network latency, is that much better with LTE I don't think you'll see the difference. When you get to a certain min speed I doubt if you will see the difference. Sure if you're downloading a massive file then LTW will win but a regular webpage, doubt it. Lot depends upon how big of a pipe the web server uses.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
Shouldn't an iPhone sold by a supported carrier come with the appropriate carrier files?

Do we know if the ST phones will come unlocked? (Or if an unlocked iPhone5 from the Apple store is a viable alternative?)

Well, I'm assuming now that Apple "officially" supports Straight Talk, they'll release a carrier bundle. As of right now with the BYOP SIM program, it just uses the AT&T carrier bundle.

Although, I'm concerned that the phone seems to be in Straight Talk packaging, which seemingly goes against the way Apple markets their phones. Could it be possible that it's not a "supported" carrier and ST is buying iPhones at wholesale, repackaging them, and selling them???

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
Remember that the $45 plans for straight talk are just $38.26 at crazygametime.com so $38.26+$25 = $63.26 a month for the new iPhone 5 WITHOUT having to pay the $126-$199 subsidy price of the phone like with the carriers in addition to their $80-$130 monthly bills. This is an absoutely killer deal and frankly blows away the other methods of getting an iPhone 5 especially being that:
1) AT&T no longer offers an unlimited plan, and even the people that are grandfathered are throttled after they hit 3GB with no exceptions. With Straight Talk, they may throttle you but a kind request to their customer service and they will UNthrottle you. Try doing that with AT&T. I've been doing this with my 4S with straight talk for 8 months. I average 6GB a month in data, and I average 6000-7000 download speed.
2) Verizon doesnt offer unlimited anymore (but those lucky people who are grandfathered have the coveted unlimited LTE if they paid full price for their iPhone 5s)
3) sprint is unlimited but their network is slow. It's also more then the straight talk plan.
4) Tmobile is a great option, but again only if you live in area serving up LTE-like HSPA+ speeds. It will be interesting to see if the straight talk iPhone 5 will work with a cut straight talk Tmobile SIM.

This is a great deal, and people who think it isn't seriously haven't done their homework. Plus, whenever the next iPhone comes out you can sell the iPhone 5 on eBay and pay off the remaining balance due and apply the rest of the money towards the new phone. It's a win-win.

crypticgeek

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
The logic behind this comment is baffling. The transfer of 2 GB of "information" to your phone is the same information at HSPA and LTE, you just get it faster at LTE speeds, so when you're trying to look up a phone number it takes 1 second instead of 10 seconds to access the same info.

It's like saying if you had to chose between home internet capped at 1GB per month that it's better to have dial up instead of cable\dsl because it's the same amount of data. WTF... use some common sense people. Same data consumption, but stuff gets to you 10x as fast with LTE.

You're missing the point. Who cares if you can download at blazing fast speeds if you can download so much so quickly you exceed your cap for the month in a few days? We're not talking about "looking up a phone number". We're talking about downloading large files, streaming media, etc. You know...the applications that make a high speed data connection worthwhile in the first place?

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY

Well from a marketing perspective, Straight talk is using imagery from Apple of the iPhone 5, which they could only get permission to if they had direct contact with apple. And any significant quantity of iPhones would have to come directly from the manufacturer, so we can safely assume that ST is dealing directly with Apple on some level. I don't think it's too ridiculous that apple produces these with the minor modifications that are required in a carrier file to make MMS and internet work. I wouldn't even be surprised if we saw "ST" as the carrier in the top left.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010

HAHA, I was going to post something similar. WALMART. LOL. And this is the kind of front page news Apple is getting on MacRumors now.......LOL.

EddieCurrent

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
So they sell the plan as "no contract" yet if you cancel you're still paying monthly for your phone for 2 years. And the average person who finances a cell phone for 2 years doesn't have the credit rating to get approved for said financing, lol. This is a a new low, even for Walmart... bringing in the most ghetto of clientele.

Uhhmm no one says you have to only pay $25 a month. But an interest free FOREVER loan on a $650 to $850 purchase is a good deal.

My AT&T plan is about $95 out the door. With straight talk I would pay $50 LESS. Applying that to my iPhone payment would pay off a 16GB iPhone is 13 months. For the 11 months that would've remained on my AT&T contract I could pocket the $550 I would save and at the end STILL have a phone that is for more valuable on the open market as it is UNLOCKED.

Being smart with your money is not ghetto. :D

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
Well, lets look at 1 iPhone.

ATT
phone = $200
24 months of service at $110 (4 gig of data) = 2,640

Total ATT costs (before taxes) = 2,840

ST
Phone = $650
24 months of service at $45 = $1,080

Total ST (before taxes) = $1,730

Savings = $1,110 over the 2 year contract.

The phones are worth the same at the end of the 24 month period. ATT subsidizes the phone for a profit. Did you think they were simply giving it to you?

The ability to say change plans without being tied by a nasty contract to an uncaring company = priceless!

Interesting you could save enough to buy the new iPhone that comes out every year and still be saving serious coin over the ATT plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.