Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seoskaura

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
I'm thinking of getting a bigger interface to use Photoshop CS5/6. Don't ask me why I have/use both, I just do. I don't have the suites or anything, just Photoshop. I may or may not decide to get the Suites later on and I was just curious about the seamless/smooth results on a Mac Mini since I Don't know if I'm willing to shell out 1300$ for an iMac.

Just wanted people's opinions and experiences.

Also, if you did get a Mac mini, what's the ideal display?

Nate392

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
When I use Photoshop it works just fine, no hitches.
As far as display, I don't know too much... I just went cheap and got a free 23" ASUS from my parents. :D

seoskaura

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
When I use Photoshop it works just fine, no hitches.
As far as display, I don't know too much... I just went cheap and got a free 23" ASUS from my parents. :D

Ahaha, awesome. How long have you had it? Any glitches besides Photoshop? The thought of extreme portability if anything goes wrong with it is really nice. @_@

And there's no lagging with Photoshop?

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
I use the CS6 suite with 16Gb ram and a single 23" Dell, haven't had any problems, but then I don't do much print work either. Obviously people working with banner or whole-wall sized graphics might have some troubles.

I basically have Photoshop, Illustrator, Edge/Brackets, Chrome, Evernote, MAMP and iTunes open and working simultaneously. But I also don't keep too many PSD/AI files open at once either, 5 max maybe?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
The days of Photoshop being a high-end, "pro" task that will test the processing power of a computer are, for the most part, over.
The 2012 Mini is a frighteningly powerful machine, and handles Creative Suite 6 without dropping a stitch.

As for what size monitor is "best" -- well, no one ever regretted getting a monitor that was too big. I have two 20" screens which are very useful.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Barefeats.com has Photoshop speed tests that compare the Mini to the current iMacs.

As long as you don't rely on PS features that benefit from GPU acceleration you will be fine. But if you use those features a lot the Mini will be significantly slower than an iMac or MacBook Pro with a discrete GPU.

I'm a pro photographer with a new 2.3GHz Mini. My editing needs are relatively modest so it works well for me.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
As long as you don't rely on PS features that benefit from GPU acceleration you will be fine. But if you use those features a lot the Mini will be significantly slower than an iMac or MacBook Pro with a discrete GPU.
The GPU-acceleration features are pretty few and specialized. However, you can adjust how much the GPU does in PS preferences, so who knows whether handing it all back to the CPU might be faster?

Nate392

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
How long have you had it? Any glitches besides Photoshop? The thought of extreme portability if anything goes wrong with it is really nice. @_@

And there's no lagging with Photoshop?

A couple months. No glitches at all, especially since the blackout issue was fixed (at least for me). Nope, no lagging at all. Although, I don't happen to have anything else to compare it to, but it still runs great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.