Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpa66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Hey all. I posted this in the iMac forum, but it was suggested that I post it here, instead. So, here is my query:

I have a G5 iMac (I know, it's really old ) that I need to transfer files from to my new Mac Mini. The problem is that it won't start up. It's had this problem in the past, and all I had to do was open the back up and restart it as per Apple's G5 instructions.

The first LED light stays on, but the second one flickers then shuts off. Lights 3 and 4 do not come on. This has led me to believe that it's a problem with the power supply. However, I noticed that at least two capacitors are definitely bad, and I was wondering if replacing those ( and maybe replacing any more after a thorough check ) would solve my problem.

Or is the power supply the likely culprit?

Thanks,
JP

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
The fact that two are bad is certainly the cause of the issue. You can also open up the power supply and check for bad caps there.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
The imac g5 is one of the worst macs ever created, and any people who still are using these god awful pieces of crap I salute you.

jpa66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Yes, it's lasted me over 8 years, and I've only had trouble with it over the last 1-2 years ( and it wasn't much trouble ). The fact that it's crapped out now is simply Murphy's Law kicking in.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Can't you take the hard drive out, throw it in an external case or dock and move your files off of it? I believe those were all SATA drives if I recall correctly.

jpa66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
That may be a possibility, but I'm not too savvy when it comes to that, so I'm going to have to take it to someone who is experienced in that sort of thing. If you or someone could point me to a tutorial that explains how to do it, then I could decide if it's within my capabilities. I hate to muck around with it, since I have important work files on it which I can't afford to lose.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
That may be a possibility, but I'm not too savvy when it comes to that, so I'm going to have to take it to someone who is experienced in that sort of thing. If you or someone could point me to a tutorial that explains how to do it, then I could decide if it's within my capabilities. I hate to muck around with it, since I have important work files on it which I can't afford to lose.

If you pay them apple will still repair it

jpa66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Eh, as much as I'd like to have it repaired, I really don't think that it's worth what it will cost. I just need some important files that I have on it (well, maybe about half of the data on the hard drive), so it's probably most cost-effective to simply take the harddrive out.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Eh, as much as I'd like to have it repaired, I really don't think that it's worth what it will cost. I just need some important files that I have on it (well, maybe about half of the data on the hard drive), so it's probably most cost-effective to simply take the harddrive out.

then I would just take out the hdd mount it in a case and get the data out

simple

jpa66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
How simple?

I can swap out the memory, add anything that just plugs in, but am a bit wary of anything else unless it's truly east to do (i.e. screw-up factor is very low).

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
How simple?

I can swap out the memory, add anything that just plugs in, but am a bit wary of anything else unless it's truly east to do (i.e. screw-up factor is very low).

It's pretty easy. Open up case, remove hard drive, throw it (okay, place it) in an enclosure.

jpa66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
I assume that I can get the enclosure at any computer store ( i.e. Microcenter, BestBuy, Staples, etc. )? Any recommendations, or is one as good as the other?

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago

Which exact G5 iMac is it? What speed CPU and what size screen? ifixit has tutorials on every one. I have a G5 iMac 20" 1.8Ghz (without camera) and opened it up before and it's simple to do, pop some screws off and take the back off. But the later G5's have to go in through the front and it's more work.

Once you or someone else takes the hard drive out, you just put it in either a 3.5" SATA enclosure like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817388035 Which would allow you to use that hard drive with your newer Mac also...

or put it in a dock, which I find great for quick tasks and doesn't require an external case or any screws...

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MS-US007U3

The docks can be used with 2.5" laptop size hard drives as well as 3.5" desktop hard drives.

And if you do buy either a dock or external case, you might as well make sure it is a newer USB 3.0 version so you get the best speeds with your new Mac mini (assuming it's a 2012 with USB 3.0).

Last edited:

jpa66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Which exact G5 iMac is it? What speed CPU and what size screen? ifixit has tutorials on every one. I have a G5 iMac 20" 1.8Ghz (without camera) and opened it up before and it's simple to do, pop some screws off and take the back off. But the later G5's have to go in through the front and it's more work.

I'm almost positive that mine is the same one that you have - I'll have to double-check, though. I'll check out ifixit.

Thanks!

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
I assume that I can get the enclosure at any computer store ( i.e. Microcenter, BestBuy, Staples, etc. )? Any recommendations, or is one as good as the other?

Microcenter is your best bet for selection and price if you have one nearby. They even price match online prices. You just need a 3.5" external case for SATA hard drives and USB 3.0 out (preferably, instead of just USB 2.0, which is slower and not much cheaper), or a SATA hard drive dock (with USB 3.0 preferably). I linked to an example of each. They will normally be more expensive in a store, so if you could print out the page with the items on it and show it to them at Microcenter they will match the price if it's the same make and model.

----------

I'm almost positive that mine is the same one that you have - I'll have to double-check, though. I'll check out ifixit.

Thanks!

Here is the ifixit how to on hard drives in the earlier G5 iMacs:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+G5+20-Inch+Model+A1076+Hard+Drive+Replacement/873/1

And here is the same procedure on the later models with the iSight camera, not so fun...

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+G5+20-Inch+Model+A1145+Hard+Drive+Replacement/1147/1

The other thing is, if you are going to do it, you'll need some tools. A Torx 10 screwdriver (and a Torx 6 and Torx 8 if it's the later model iMac), and a spudger is preferable. But you can use a butter knife if need be instead of a spudger. This is one of the times a butter knife wouldn't be so bad for this particular job and since it's a dead Mac with virtually no resale value, you wouldn't be worried about scratches, etc.

You can buy Torx screwdrivers right on ifixit, or from Other World Computing, or on Amazon, or at Microcenter.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
If there are blown caps, then the logic board has definitely failed. Ifixit's guides are usually quite stellar, detailed, and easy to follow. If you don't need the computer anymore, you could consider parting it out or selling it as is. You might be able to squeeze some more value out of it yet.

jpa66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
CCkid - thanks for all the information. It appears that doing this is within my capabilities. I'm going to give it a shot.

Thanks again.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
CCkid - thanks for all the information. It appears that doing this is within my capabilities. I'm going to give it a shot.

Thanks again.

You're welcome. Keep us updated and if you run into any problems just post them here, someone will be happy to help.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
really guys?

I think I said it best last summer "Owning an imac G5 is like owning a 84' Jaguar, Its fast and will impress your friends, but it will spend 90% of the time in the shop costing you money."

an iMac G5 is fast :D compared to what
Actually I use mine a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.