Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OchBerry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
My mac mini arrives next week and I was thinking about picking up an extra lightning cable to keep plugged into one of the USB ports so I do not have to reach behind it every time I want to sync my devices.

Can this be an issue or is the port and cable inactive until the lightning connector is plugged into something.?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My mac mini arrives next week and I was thinking about picking up an extra lightning cable to keep plugged into one of the USB ports so I do not have to reach behind it every time I want to sync my devices.

Can this be an issue or is the port and cable inactive until the lightning connector is plugged into something.?
There's no problem with doing that. Nothing happens until you plug both ends in.

OchBerry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Excellent, I was worried about putting strain on the mini by drawing unnecessary power at all times with it plugged in.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Excellent, I was worried about putting strain on the mini by drawing unnecessary power at all times with it plugged in.
The cable itself doesn't draw power. Only devices you plug it into draw power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.