Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many of you are on Hipstergram?

• Yes I am

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Yes I am - I just like lurking & following ppl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No I am not

Votes: 11 91.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
I love taking pics and sharing them w/ the iPhone since the 3G days. I also enjoy looking at pics taken from the iPhone more then the point and shoot pics, since we can control the focus & white balancing areas. The average Joe's point and shoot pics are blurry from hitting the shutter button too hard, unfocused or not focused at the right spots and the white balancing is write off.

Instagram came along in 2010, it was such a great idea and slowly I noticed everyone had to use that damn Lo-Fi filter on all of their pics. It really makes no sense to abuse it; the IP4, IP4S and IP5 cameras are amazing. Why would anyone like to time warp back in time when we are moving forward in time with camera technology? Some photos do like cool with vintage filter if the photo fits that theme.

The really bad part about Hipstergram; since it's trying to recreate the Polaroid era in a digit form, I now see ppl take pics only in portrait mode and uploading them to Facebook all the time.

Side tracking a bit here:

A couple of months ago I saw an entertaining accident, pulled out the IP5 and started to take pics for my FB group. Some kid beside my pulls out his IP5 and started to take pics in potrait mode and I got really annoyed, so I screamed at him. "YO!!! Turn that iPhone sideways, our monitors are not mounted vertically dumb ass!"

664783_10151245670318908_1423668650_o.jpg

To the main question now, how many of you are on Hipstergram?

PS: I love looking at our IP5 pic thread, most of you guys take some seriously nice and skillful pics.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1449454/

Last edited:

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE
A couple of months ago I saw an entertaining accident, pulled out the IP5 and started to take pics for my FB group. Some kid beside my pulls out his IP5 and started to take pics in potrait mode and I got really annoyed, so I screamed at him. "YO!!! Turn that sh8t sideways, our monitors are not mounted vertically dumb ass!"

i dont know whts more disturbing. the fact that u thought the accident was "entertaining" or the fact that u yell at random kids. :rolleyes:

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
My current two fav pics, posting these in IP5 pic thread.

Attachments

• IMG_0057.JPG
    IMG_0057.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 77

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
i dont know whts more disturbing. the fact that u thought the accident was "entertaining" or the fact that u yell at random kids. :rolleyes:

I vote both :) :) :)

The accident was entertaining b/c no one got hurt, her friend told me this was her 2rd "braking accident" within 3 years and by the time the lady's car got hooked up with the tow truck she was laughing about how it all happened.

Last edited:

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
The really sh8tty part about Hipstergram; since it's trying to recreate the Polaroid era in a digit form, I now see ppl take pics only in portrait mode and uploading them to Facebook all the time.

FYI Instagram crops pictures to be square. So whether a picture is taken in portrait or landscape, you just won't be able to tell in the final product.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I like it better than facebook b.c i mostly use facebook to look a pics. I have met a lot of people through pictures on instagram. My best friend met her husband on instagram :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Who cares if a picture is taken in portrait or landscape? Are you the picture police? If so, you're dead wrong in that photos are taken in both portrait and landscape. To another poster's point, Instagram crops to square so your yelling at random children makes you look like a silly child yourself. Calling the kid a dumbass is ironic at best.

TIMG your picture please, search the forums as there is a thread for instagram users already, and stop laughing at people who have wrecked their cars because if Karma exists, it'll find you.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
FYI Instagram crops pictures to be square. So whether a picture is taken in portrait or landscape, you just won't be able to tell in the final product.

Yeah I know for Hipstergram you must crops the pics in a square. That's the whole Polaroid vibe they're trying to re-create :) It's just easier for ppl to now be lazy and shoot in portrait mode all the time, even for pics that's not gonna be uploaded to that network.

All of this reminds me of ...

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Yeah I know for Hipstergram you must crops the pics in a square. That's the whole Polaroid vibe they're trying to re-create :) It's just easier for ppl to now be lazy and shoot in portrait mode all the time, even for pics that's not gonna be uploaded to that network.

All of this reminds me of ...

Good lord I can't even watch videos on youtube or facebook that were taken in portrait.

I do everything landscape, but I actually turn the phone the other way. My photostream (same on my wife's iPad and iPhone and my iPhone + our digital camera with eye-fi card) all goes to the same folder on my server. If we take a picture with the phone in portrait the picture will end up sideways on my daughters website. If we take it in landscape the way you have it in that picture it will be upside down. It took a lot of me rotating pictures of my daughter before my wife started taking pictures with the home button to the right. Unless taking with the front camera, then the come button has to be on the left. Probably not an issue for most people though, but since the pictures are automatically put on my server, the rotation of the picture is important if I don't want to rotate them all.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Video is different from a still photo. This kid is talking about photos not video, afaik.

I agree, but I personally prefer photos in landscape regardless. Though I don't think there is a "wrong" way to a picture, but I would say most pictures should be landscape unless you're trying to capture something tall. Nearly any screen you're going to look at the photos on is going to be wider than it is tall.

unfortunately for my situation I need to take all pictures landscape with the home button to the right. Unless I want to rotate them later on a server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.