Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lauren14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Hello. Please can anyone help me. We were burgled at the weekend. Among the stuff taken were two ipods belonging to my children - a nano and a classic. Both were sync-ed to my MacBook (which, thankfully, wasnt taken). I have no proof of ownership to show the insurance - they were fairly old, so we no longer have the boxes, manuals, etc - and I cant find the original receipts. Any tips on how else I can prove that we actually owned these items - are they somehow linked to my itunes account, or my Macbook - is there somewhere I could pull up a page showing the ipads/pods, and the serial numbers? Many thanks!!!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That sucks, sorry to hear that.

Go to iTunes>Preferences>Devices and hover the mouse pointer of the iPod backup. The SN will pop up in in a window.

Here is a screen shot (purposely omitted most of the serial #):
Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 9.29.31 AM.png

The iPad that I am hovered over hasn't been connected to my Mac in ages (clearly) and it still shows that serial #. I also have the serial to an older iPhone in there.

lauren14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
That sucks, sorry to hear that.

Go to iTunes>Preferences>Devices and hover the mouse pointer of the iPod backup. The SN will pop up in in a window.

Here is a screen shot (purposely omitted most of the serial #):
View attachment 389005

The iPad that I am hovered over hasn't been connected to my Mac in ages (clearly) and it still shows that serial #. I also have the serial to an older iPhone in there.

thank you Jessica. Now, having the SN is there anywhere I can punch that in to show what product is associated with the unique SN?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
No problem. Maybe someone knows another way, but that's all I do know. I hope it works out somehow.

nastebu

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
You're probably thinking about this too hard. If you have photographs of them or of someone in the family using them that will be sufficient. Call your agent and ask--better yet, round up all of your questions and ask at the same time since the insurance company logs every time you call and its always better to bother them as little as possible.

It's worth noting that the insurance company will assess their value based on how old they are and so their depreciated value. They are probably worth very little in terms of the insurance claim. It sucks, but you won't get replacement costs on an old bit of consumer electronics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.