Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I guess what I don't understand, is that 6.1 is basically already out, and has been since the initial beta. Apple doesn't modify much of the code regarding what might be any potential exploit. I highly doubt any exploit that was present in beta 1 has been closed in beta 4 or the GM. That said, hopefully planetbeing can beta test his exploits and get something out the door in time for 6.1's release date.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I guess what I don't understand, is that 6.1 is basically already out, and has been since the initial beta. Apple doesn't modify much of the code regarding what might be any potential exploit. I highly doubt any exploit that was present in beta 1 has been closed in beta 4 or the GM. That said, hopefully planetbeing can beta test his exploits and get something out the door in time for 6.1's release date.

I guess I don't understand how do you know more about what changes can occur in betas than planetbeing :p What is so wrong w/ being careful? It's not like 6.1 is gonna come out on '14.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community

There is zero chance any jailbreak will be released until after Apple has done it's public release of 6.1
And the hackers will hold the jailbreak until they find at least one more exploit so they can hold one in reserve.

https://twitter.com/planetbeing/status/288939722913492992

Last edited:

Knockoutjosie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this means we may not see it released at all then?

They would release the jailbreak.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 80

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I guess I don't understand how do you know more about what changes can occur in betas than planetbeing :p What is so wrong w/ being careful? It's not like 6.1 is gonna come out on '14.

I obviously don't know more than planetbeing. Going by history of iOS releases though, generally exploits they find before the GM drops are not patched in the released version of the software. Thus if he has a working exploits now on the beta then the chances of a 6.1 JB look good IMO.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World

Not really, it would mean that Apple closed all the holes, the prime hole being one they have had for some time, they would like to use that as entry point for future jailbreaks, if they release it because of that reason it would probably mean no jailbreak for some time to come after this one.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Look at it this way:

I have something that a LOT of people want.

I don't want to give it up until I have a backup plan to make SURE I can continue to enjoy it (because after I give it to everyone else they might try to take it away from me).

I could care less if you want the exploit I found. I get to have a jailbreak for MY phone, and as soon as I find another way to do it (so releasing it doesn't mean I might lose MY jailbreak), I'll do it. Until then, I get to enjoy MY jailbreak, and you get to wait...

This ^ is why there will probably never be another meaningful public release anytime soon. The jailbreakers of the world figured out it was easier just to JB their own stuff and not release it publicly because then they could CONTINUE to use the exploit (because Apple wouldn't care to try and close something only a handful of pira... err... jailbreakers are utilizing).

If they find an ADDITIONAL hole, then sure, they'll give it up... Maybe, unless they decide to keep that one too lol...

Move on from jailbreaking. I have, and I can't tell you how nice it is to no longer be concerned with what firmware or basesband I have... I just update and enjoy the phone. And if I didn't enjoy it non-jailbroken I would BUY SOMETHING ELSE.

It's great!

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Look at it this way:

I have something that a LOT of people want.

I don't want to give it up until I have a backup plan to make SURE I can continue to enjoy it (because after I give it to everyone else they might try to take it away from me).

I could care less if you want the exploit I found. I get to have a jailbreak for MY phone, and as soon as I find another way to do it (so releasing it doesn't mean I might lose MY jailbreak), I'll do it. Until then, I get to enjoy MY jailbreak, and you get to wait...

This ^ is why there will probably never be another meaningful public release anytime soon. The jailbreakers of the world figured out it was easier just to JB their own stuff and not release it publicly because then they could CONTINUE to use the exploit (because Apple wouldn't care to try and close something only a handful of pira... err... jailbreakers are utilizing).

If they find an ADDITIONAL hole, then sure, they'll give it up... Maybe, unless they decide to keep that one too lol...

Move on from jailbreaking. I have, and I can't tell you how nice it is to no longer be concerned with what firmware or basesband I have... I just update and enjoy the phone. And if I didn't enjoy it non-jailbroken I would BUY SOMETHING ELSE.

It's great!

conclusion:
You haven't got any clue why they jailbreak and why they don't release it now.

Your post only shows a high level of ungratefulness on your part, if they don't release it like NOW they are the bad guys……

Maybe a reality check would do on your part.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
:(

That's in part why some Dev's pulled out of the JB scene, tired of the constant demands and abuse, who can blame them for that?

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Lets keep in mind alot of those nice Cydia apps costs us money. So it's not entitlement. If any of those JB devs ever got paid then they OWE a jailbreak to us if it exists.

I'm sure they are more than willing to turn over what they have once its reasonable to do so. If giving up their only one means death to the jailbreak, then that would be irresponsible...we will just have to wait.

----------

That's in part why some Dev's pulled out of the JB scene, tired of the constant demands and abuse, who can blame them for that?

If they recieved money for one of their apps then paying customers can blame them for leaving..I was around when jailbreakjng first began and am sad to see what it's become today. Back then people did it for prestige, now it's done for money. Makes them no different than apple. So if they want to accept payment then they accept all that goes with it.

----------

If they recieved money for one of their apps then paying customers can blame them for leaving..I was around when jailbreakjng first began and am sad to see what it's become today. Back then people did it for prestige, now it's done for money. Makes them no different than apple. So if they want to accept payment then they accept all that goes with it.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Not really, it would mean that Apple closed all the holes, the prime hole being one they have had for some time, they would like to use that as entry point for future jailbreaks, if they release it because of that reason it would probably mean no jailbreak for some time to come after this one.

All holes closed = perfect software?...no. There will always be holes. Finding the hole will just become harder, that's all (i.e Longer wait for jailbreaks in the future).

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Lets keep in mind alot of those nice Cydia apps costs us money. So it's not entitlement. If any of those JB devs ever got paid then they OWE a jailbreak to us if it exists.

Some Devs have paid apps in Cydia, they don't OWE us anything, they developed an app that worked on a jailbroken firmware. I don't remember seeing any contract that they need to provide follow ups for there working apps.

Perfect example of the modern entitlement generation...

They still do it for prestige, on the side the make some money on some apps, the jailbreaks have been free so far, voluntary donations for countless of hours put in to get a working jailbreak. Same entitlement mentality

All holes closed = perfect software?...no. There will always be holes. Finding the hole will just become harder, that's all (i.e Longer wait for jailbreaks in the future).

They have had one of the bugs for over a year, i asume it is @chpwn's one.
Of course there will always be holes, however turnover rates on iOS updates are faster and the SHSH method no longer works (for the moment) so there might be a point in time where it will take too long to develop a good untether before a new major iOS version comes out, some smart guys at Apple as well which only job is to find bugs….

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
To those who think someone owes you a jailbreak

You are wrong !

Examine any hacks/apps you purchased, nowhere will you see a guarantee that you will be provided a lifetime jailbreak for every future firmware version.

Besides, jailbreak hackers rarely develop paid Cydia apps for this very misplaced belief.

Schnedi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
things are clear.

If iOS 6.1 closes the exploit they have, they will release the jailbreak for iOS 6.0.x

If iOS 6.1 doesn't close the exploit they won't release any jailbreak, cause they'll use it to find more issues for future jailbreaks...

BUT If 6.1 doesn't close the actual exploit AND they don't find any other exploit, WOULD they release the jailbreak? planetbeing hasn't answered to that (i think).

sorry if my english is not good :S

Last edited:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Correct, the have some leads, even Saurik chiped in and put in some ideas.
It's a game of chess, always think X-number of steps ahead of your opponent, so if 6.1 doesn't close all exploits they will wait to ensure future jailbreaks.
I think they are close.

@planetbeing also mentioned it's a team effort (exploits by different members) and it will be a team decision to release any jailbreak.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Can we stop with the whole entitlement thing already? It's old, and is no better than calling people isheep...

Android people don't charge a dime for their work, so why do the Cydia devs? And android hacks do far far more than jailbreakjng does.

Fact is, charge money for your work and you have it coming to you. If the devs that do jailbreak want money then Cydia should share with them.

You guys need to go see what android rooting is all about. They ask for donations but never force it in exchange for an app or hack.

I have spent a lot of money on Cydia apps and would expect those that recieved my money to do everything in their power to ensure jailbreak lives on. That would also mean holding out for the sake of jailbreakjng future.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Can we stop with the whole entitlement thing already? It's old, and is no better than calling people isheep...

Android people don't charge a dime for their work, so why do the Cydia devs? And android hacks do far far more than jailbreakjng does.

Fact is, charge money for your work and you have it coming to you. If the devs that do jailbreak want money then Cydia should share with them.

You guys need to go see what android rooting is all about. They ask for donations but never force it in exchange for an app or hack.

I have spent a lot of money on Cydia apps and would expect those that recieved my money to do everything in their power to ensure jailbreak lives on. That would also mean holding out for the sake of jailbreakjng future.

Like i said you don't have a clue…

The Jailbreak is free as are 80% of the Cydia tweaks.
If i remember correctly the nice apps for android are paid as well in the android market.

What is a lot of money? $10, $100, $1000? With $1-3 dollars a piece it is still cheap for that remaining 20% in Cydia.

I've read numerous posts by android switchers that rooting is indeed easier, android still can't get close to iOS, especially on jailbroken devices, which is complete freedom, android rooting is mostly for a different ROM, which ties you to a Dev's setup on that ROM (like in the old WINMO days)

It's a personal choice to go to Android or stay with iOS, but make sure that you get all your facts strait and you tell a fair story.

"Fact is, charge money for your work and you have it coming to you"
Sounds like a 12-year old to me…that mind set will not get you very far in life.

Your last statement is not well thought through…
They are doing exactly everything in their power to ensure jailbreaking lives on and make your purchased cydia app work in the future as well. Almost all the cydia devs (hundreds, not just the jailbreak devs) give you a free update for the next firmware or jailbreak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.