Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:49 AM   #1
MatthewWV
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
PS3 Controller with Macbook Pro

Hi, could somebody please send me a link of a PS3 controller which will be compatible with my Macbook Pro (to play games such as Grand Theft Auto with) from www.ebay.co.uk or any U.K. website as I do not know which ones will work as I have been told that some of them are not compatible

Thanks
MatthewWV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:50 AM   #2
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewWV View Post
Hi, could somebody please send me a link of a PS3 controller which will be compatible with my Macbook Pro (to play games such as Grand Theft Auto with) from www.ebay.co.uk or any U.K. website as I do not know which ones will work as I have been told that some of them are not compatible

Thanks
Try the gaming section or the MacBook Pro section..
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:31 AM   #3
SDAVE
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Nowhere
I would look into the wired Xbox 360 controller instead. It works in Portal, Half Life 2, etc.

If you're dual booting into Windows, then you'll do much better.

The PS3 controller will work, even without drivers, but I don't think the support is there in all games as much as the XB360 controller.

Anywho, here's more info:

http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/


__________________
iPhone 5, MacBook Pro (2011), Mac Pro 2008, Apple Cinema Display 30" Aluminium

Last edited by SDAVE; Jan 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM.
SDAVE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:44 AM   #4
MatthewWV
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDAVE View Post
I would look into the wired Xbox 360 controller instead. It works in Portal, Half Life 2, etc.

If you're dual booting into Windows, then you'll do much better.

The PS3 controller will work, even without drivers, but I don't think the support is there in all games as much as the XB360 controller.

Anywho, here's more info:

http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/


Image
I currently have a wireless Xbox controller which I only use for my Xbox - but heard you need a network adapter to use it or something? What is this and how would I go about configuring it all? I've never done this before - where can you get the adapters from?
MatthewWV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:58 AM   #5
SDAVE
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewWV View Post
I currently have a wireless Xbox controller which I only use for my Xbox - but heard you need a network adapter to use it or something? What is this and how would I go about configuring it all? I've never done this before - where can you get the adapters from?
You have the wireless version? It would probably be cheaper to buy a new USB wired one. Look at eBay, I bet you can find the white version for cheap (it looks pretty good!) compared to the black one. Also the cable is REALLY long so you're definitely covered as far as sitting far away from your monitor.

I game via a Projector in my room that's connected to the Mac Pro (I also switch between a PS3 and Mac Pro)..a 115" display is pretty cool and works great

I bought this controller a long time ago, never owned an Xbox360, but comes in handy once in a while when I game.

I think you need to get this to make the wireless work via USB. But the ratings aren't so high.

P.S. I was playing Assassins Creed III and Hitman Absolution under Windows without any problems. Black Ops II as well, though I didn't finish most of them (the real world called, haha)
__________________
iPhone 5, MacBook Pro (2011), Mac Pro 2008, Apple Cinema Display 30" Aluminium

Last edited by SDAVE; Jan 9, 2013 at 10:04 AM.
SDAVE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:58 PM   #6
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
The Microsoft wireless gaming adapter lets you use wireless Xbox controllers on a PC. It works fine if you get a genuine Microsoft one. I have one myself.

The bad reviews are from people who bought knockoffs. Unfortunately Amazon combines product reviews from all resellers under one page, including the genuine resellers and the ones selling counterfeit goods.

You are fine if you just get one from a trusted source.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:36 PM   #7
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601
 
OrangeSVTguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Northeastern Ohio
I use a wireless PS3 dual axis 3 controller. There is an app called game pro companion? In the App Store. I think it was $4.99 or something when I purchased it. I haven't used it much in Mountain Lion, if I used it at all and worked. You can reprogram the buttons and all and get the dual shock vibration effect.

Edit:
It's called GamePad Companion and the AppStore has it for $7.99.
__________________
Browsing the forums from my Powerbook G4

Last edited by OrangeSVTguy; Jan 9, 2013 at 08:57 PM.
OrangeSVTguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: Use your PS3 controller tweak! BHP41 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 37 Mar 9, 2014 04:23 PM
Ps3 controller pairing help Thedogjob Mac Basics and Help 1 Aug 15, 2013 04:18 PM
OS X: PS3 controller on iMac? bobright Mac and PC Games 0 Apr 22, 2013 11:58 PM
OS X: PS3 Controller with Macbook Pro MatthewWV Mac and PC Games 3 Jan 9, 2013 11:14 AM
Can't pair PS3 controller ohmygollyjosh Mac Peripherals 0 Jun 21, 2012 08:14 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC