Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:50 PM   #76
ericrwalker
Banned

Exactly, people look at the specs and want "more power". What good is a Lamborghini if you're towing a trailer full of cow manure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
Differences in RAM from iOS to Android are like differences in the speed and number of cores in each device's CPU and GPU -

How does Apple keep iOS devices running as smoothly as Android devices at half the cores and less GHz? Similarly, how does Apple blow every Android device out of the water when the A6X only has 4 GPU cores versus the double digits in the Tegra 3 and others?

Better memory allocation and software optimization. What iDevices lack in raw computing power, they make up for by not only having tighter software/hardware optimization but also much better memory allocation and efficiency.

All you need to do is run geekbench to see this. Look at the 4 scores given and look at the scores for memory performance and memory bandwidth - apple's chips/RAM perform better on these scores almost every time (some by wide margins).

This (and the difference in "multitasking" between iOS and Android) is why Apple keeps specs where they are. Because the entire package is tightly optimized for maximum efficiency and overall performance that keeps up (and in some cases surpasses) the competition.
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:53 PM   #77
bjm2660
macrumors 6502

Price and form factor
bjm2660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:54 PM   #78
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
What good is a Lamborghini with a Toyota Camry engine.
That's the thing, there is a balance of the operating system and the hardware with current Apple products.

With vehicles it's always a power to weight ratio. It's the reason a 600cc sport bike can outperform most cars.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:59 PM   #79
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
That's the thing, there is a balance of the operating system and the hardware with current Apple products.

With vehicles it's always a power to weight ratio. It's the reason a 600cc sport bike can outperform most cars.
Upon further thought, my analogy should have been "Its better than a Camry pulling the same load. I agree about the balance, but that balance would be made better with 1GB RAM. My 2 has 512, and I def see some issues from RAM.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:05 PM   #80
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
Upon further thought, my analogy should have been "Its better than a Camry pulling the same load. I agree about the balance, but that balance would be made better with 1GB RAM. My 2 has 512, and I def see some issues from RAM.
Fair enough, though the iPad 2 has what processor as well? If you find there is some stutter it may be RAM and/or the processor. There are a lot of apps that have been released that are much more RAM/GPU/CPU intensive since the release of the iPad 2.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:06 PM   #81
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

The iPad Mini, the Camry of the iPad line...its grounded to the ground!
mpayne2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:07 PM   #82
jonnyb098
macrumors 6502a

Sorry, the full size iPad is much more bang for the buck. When has a laptop or desktop computer EVER cost only $170 more for a bigger screen thats double resolution, double the RAM and a faster CPU and GPU? Easy, NEVER!
jonnyb098 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:16 PM   #83
jjhoekstra
macrumors regular

The mini fits a large coat pocket and is very light, so it is easy to take with me and it does all that I need: Email, Internet, eBook and Airplay. So why buy one of those mega-iPads? They feel so 2010...
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:25 PM   #84
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Fair enough, though the iPad 2 has what processor as well? If you find there is some stutter it may be RAM and/or the processor. There are a lot of apps that have been released that are much more RAM/GPU/CPU intensive since the release of the iPad 2.
Yes but the Mini is basically an iPad 2 (A5 with 512MB RAM), so any RAM issues on the 2 are bound to happen on the Mini.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:00 PM   #85
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502

Because they are the cheapest iPad available currently. That is really the only reason. It has nothing to do with specs.

Most Apple product owners don't bother to read MacRumors.com for hours upon end trying to figure out which is the best iPad before they buy it. They walk into the store (or go to the Web site), see which one is the cheapest and buy that one.

It's the same reason that the 16GB iPhone 5 is the most popular model. It is the cheapest.
Breaking Good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:46 PM   #86
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Good View Post
Because they are the cheapest iPad available currently. That is really the only reason. It has nothing to do with specs.

Most Apple product owners don't bother to read MacRumors.com for hours upon end trying to figure out which is the best iPad before they buy it. They walk into the store (or go to the Web site), see which one is the cheapest and buy that one.

It's the same reason that the 16GB iPhone 5 is the most popular model. It is the cheapest.
So based on your logic....:
If Apple made a bad product, people would still buy it cause its Apple.... Hmm.
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:51 PM   #87
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

Because a lot of people prefer the size. I had both the nexus 7 and the nexus 10. The nexus 10 was a lot faster and the screen was ridiculously good. But I still ended up returning it as I liked the size of the nexus 7 a lot more. If I hadn't already had the nexus 7 I probably would have kept the nexus 10 but 7 inch tablets are better for my use IMO.
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:08 PM   #88
Oridus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Good View Post

This. I hardly think its due to size. People clamor for apple products but there are a very large amount of people that don't want to or can't fork $500 for the latest tech.... They see the mini, the price, and he fact that it is new with an apple on the back.... And they're thinking impulsively to buy it. Also, we have to wait a fe more months to get non holiday sales figures to try to get a good grasp of mini vs full size preference. Because of the price, the mini most likely sold more due to gifting for Xmas.

Personally, I think he mini and reg I've pads will even out in sales figures since the holidays are over. I hardly think that the mini is viewed as a superior device to the reg size by most general consumers (many people on these forums don't qualify IMO as regular consumers to me.... I've seen how picky people on here can be).
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:14 PM   #89
yinz
macrumors 6502a

If cost is the big issue, how will the rumored new/cheaper/larger iPhone fair against the flagship iPhone which will be more expensive...?

Will the same thing happen like the Mini. Will the cheaper iPhone eat at the iPhone's pie and consume the market?
yinz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:30 PM   #90
Oridus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinz View Post
If cost is the big issue, how will the rumored new/cheaper/larger iPhone fair against the flagship iPhone which will be more expensive...?

Will the same thing happen like the Mini. Will the cheaper iPhone eat at the iPhone's pie and consume the market?
Nope, because there are always rich people, techie people, or people that always want the greatest that will do whatever it takes to have the best.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:46 PM   #91
That70sGAdawg
macrumors 6502

Location: North Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
Quote:

For my car, a 5 year old BMW. For my tablet: an iPad Mini with AT&T LTE...
Stay Thirsty my friends
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:34 PM   #92
RieRie
macrumors newbie

I think the iPad mini is popular because its much more purse friendly for women. My iPad 2 fit in about two of my purses (the kind that hold everything but the kitchen sink). My mini, on the other hand fits in nearly all of my purses with a sleeve and it goes everywhere with me.
RieRie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:07 PM   #93
fteoath64
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm2660 View Post
Price and form factor
Form-factor and WEIGHT more than anything else. At half the weight of the regular iPad, the mini is easier to hold and more comfortable for reading for hours. This makes usages very high as the battery lasts long as well. Price matters less here ...
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:21 PM   #94
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
How so? The only difference between the mini and the 3rd gen is the screen and GPU/RAM to run said screen.

Differences between the mini and the 2 include:
-LTE
-Bluetooth 4.0
-Better cameras
-Siri

CPU wise the mini, 2 and 3 are all equal (all running an A5 - the A5X simply added a more robust graphics processor)

Even better - all those features I mentioned as differences from the iPad 2 are the same features found in the 4th gen.

I get the reason everyone says its an iPad 2 is the screen. But lets not forget the iPad 3 is just an iPad 2 with retina.

So one could say the "iPad mini is a smaller iPad 3 without retina" more accurately than saying the "iPad mini is a smaller iPad 2"
The core, most important parts, CPU, GPU, screen resolution, are all iPad 2
And it is very likely iPad 2 can do Siri, just Apple will not allow it.
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:10 AM   #95
Kim Sux
Banned

I think the mini size is better for a tablet. The iPad is just a little too big and heavy for personal use.
Kim Sux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:17 AM   #96
LeeM
macrumors 6502a

id be interested to see sales figures of ipods this christmas against last year, i think the ipad mini may well have replaced ipods as the main kids christmas present. i know my girlfriends 2 cousins (12 and 13) both got them
LeeM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:24 AM   #97
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeM View Post
id be interested to see sales figures of ipods this christmas against last year, i think the ipad mini may well have replaced ipods as the main kids christmas present. i know my girlfriends 2 cousins (12 and 13) both got them
Cannot see going with the latest ipod for the price even with the extra space over the mini. People get headaches with the mini, imagine them reading or surfing with the ipod.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:28 AM   #98
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
Cannot see going with the latest ipod for the price even with the extra space over the mini. People get headaches with the mini, imagine them reading or surfing with the ipod.
Except that the iPod Touch is still a more pocketable device.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:03 AM   #99
chicagdan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
I haven't understood this at all. Why is the iPad mini twice as popular as the regular sized iPad? The mini is slightly under double the size of the iPhone, which isn't that big. Full sized iPad is about 3 times the size. Was the full sized too big or something? Or was it apple being greedy with Amazon leading the way with a cheap 7" tablet?
I bought the original iPad on day one in 2010 and carried it around with me every day until Christmas, when my wife gave me a new iPad mini. Personally, I think the mini is shockingly good ... but then again I'm comparing it with the relatively slow, objectively heavy first iPad model. It's a joy to read on the mini, which is what I use it for most. Having a product so small that it can fit in your pants pocket is a big deal ... plus it's a flat out gorgeous device.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:44 AM   #100
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeM View Post
I would too.

I think the Touch is an outstanding device, for $299 your get 32GB storage, a retina display (326PPI), ultra portability, and device that's very "camera like" if one of your main uses is as a digital cam. Basically an iPhone 5 without the phone, especially now that they use the same display hardware.
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad