Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:58 AM   #76
Riemann Zeta
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I think Apple gave up on QT and QTKit, so there is little incentive for them to recode a fully QT7-like modernized version. Mac OS went through a very confusing transition of video APIs, but now Mac OS and iOS use the same video frameworks and methods.
Riemann Zeta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:02 AM   #77
gumblecosby
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
From the Perian mailing list regarding Quicktime:
---
"Part of the issue is that Perian is a QuickTime Plug-in. QuickTime is a 32-bit-only technology, and Apple is moving away from 32-bit. If they were to keep maintaining it, they would be using outdated APIs that Apple will (if they have not already) pull the plug on support. In fact, I'd be surprised if Perian even builds in Xcode 4.4

From what I can tell, the only replacement for QuickTime Codec plug-ins is VideoToolbox introduced in Mountain Lion. However, it seems that documentation on how to use it is sparse at the moment. If someone was able to wrap ffmpeg around a VideoToolbox plug-in, then applications that use AVFoundation wouldn't need to depend on Perian."
----

Seems something was introduced in Mountain Lion. It's just that nobody is fully sure what it does
gumblecosby is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:03 AM   #78
iBug2
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann Zeta View Post
I think Apple gave up on QT and QTKit, so there is little incentive for them to recode a fully QT7-like modernized version. Mac OS went through a very confusing transition of video APIs, but now Mac OS and iOS use the same video frameworks and methods.
The new video kit of OS X is called AV foundation, which is the core of QTX as well. Both iMovie, FCPX use AV foundation and not QTKit. QTKit has been claimed EOL since SL. The fact that QTX did not get all the features of QT7 Pro is because it stopped making sense for Apple to charge for editing features which are already inside iMovie. When you get iMovie for free with every new Mac, nobody would buy QTX Pro for 30$. Not to mention, editing within QT 7 have always been a bust compared to actual NLE's.
__________________
MP Hex D700 32GB-1TB, rMBP 2.7 15" 16GB, ATD, iPhone 4S, iPad Air
iBug2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:44 AM   #79
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a
 
Mike MA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Germany, Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
apple.com/feedback
I found it to be more promising when filing a bug report at the link below:

https://bugreport.apple.com/cgi-bin/....woa/wa/signIn

Once you do this you can be quite sure that the issue is retrieved and followed up. Issues like the slow shutdown times and Airport problems for example seemed to be of interest as Apple asked for sysdiagnoses and protocols.
__________________
Macbook Air 13" (late 2010) - Apple TV2 - Time Capsule - Galaxy S4
Mike MA is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:56 AM   #80
milo
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBug2 View Post
The new video kit of OS X is called AV foundation, which is the core of QTX as well. Both iMovie, FCPX use AV foundation and not QTKit. QTKit has been claimed EOL since SL. The fact that QTX did not get all the features of QT7 Pro is because it stopped making sense for Apple to charge for editing features which are already inside iMovie. When you get iMovie for free with every new Mac, nobody would buy QTX Pro for 30$. Not to mention, editing within QT 7 have always been a bust compared to actual NLE's.
Sure it doesn't make sense to try and charge $30 for QT pro (frankly I don't think it ever did) but that's no reason for the functionality to not be available. There's still a need for basic things like trimming a movie and resaving, or file conversion, or exporting audio, or just adding an audio file to a movie, none of which should require a full NLE to do. Not to mention that using even iMovie for those things is a pain compared to QT7.

Saying QT player doesn't need those features is like saying Apple doesn't need the textedit app since Pages exists.

And if AV foundation is the new 64 bit version of QT, Apple needs to support it in their own apps beyond the two for video editing, like Logic. But I guess that would require the programmers to do some actual work.
milo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:11 AM   #81
unsung719
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: 1989
my biggest problem with mountain lion is the slow shutdown time. my 2011 macbook air with lion installed shut down in seconds (like 1-3). after upgrading to mountain lion it takes upwards of 20 seconds to shutdown. rubbish.
unsung719 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:35 AM   #82
The Bulge
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Up your ass.
Fix internet sharing. Last time it mostly worked was in Tiger.
The Bulge is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:41 PM   #83
cmChimera
macrumors 68000
 
cmChimera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
Firstly, its against forum rules to accuse people of trolling (not to mention highly pathetic). Secondly I'm not trolling. I'm stating fact.

Its a case of it only being a feature for the select few people that use it. Nothing 'big' has come to OS X in a long time now short of welcomed performance improvements.

Lets actually look at it objectively:

Game center - It has next to no real use if you dont do multiplayer gaming heavily on your mac. Gaming on the mac is already fairly niche (although granted it is growing). Even then, who the hell needs it? Seriously it's such a minuscule usage market. The biggest annoyance is that some tit decided to disable the ability to delete it.

Mail - It's a good app. But its only a good app if you need it. With the likes of very well made webmail clients, it's not something I'd personally ever want to use. Gmail and Outlook webmail clients do a pretty amazing job, and are updated a hell of a lot more often than Mail.app is.

AirDrop - A useful little feature, doesnt work for me however. Never has done, and never really tried to fix it. Certainly not worthy of being listed as a major OS feature.

iCloud - I had high hopes for it. But a measly 5GB free limit, and piss poor performance outside the US made it very much an annoyance more than a feature. Dropbox and Google Drive do a way better job of file syncing. The only plus of iCloud is storing notes in it, and using Photo Stream...assuming you dont hit your limit within the first 15 minutes of using the darn thing! At the end of the day, it's just MobileMe rebranded after the monumental mess they made of it.

Safari - Cant really include that. It's not a core part of the OS. It's a downloadable app.

Drill into the features of mountain lion. Look at Apple's page on it. The feature list really is quite pathetic.

Notification Center - it does an 'ok' job but Growl is still way more convenient than having to keep opening up some silly hidden sidebar that's been bodged into the top corner of the screen. Most apps still use growl however, and will do for the foreseeable future. Especially given that Apple are locking down the OS X features to only work with MAS apps.

Reminders - Should be an optional app in the MAS, not built into the system.
Notes - The same as reminders.

iMessage - Nice. But never works for me on any of my machines. Spends ages spinning a wheel only to tell me it couldnt connect to the Apple servers. Littlesnitch doesnt even show it trying.
Facetime - Same situation as iMessage
(A note about both iMessage and Facetime - dont forget that these replaced iChat. So only half a feature there really)

Power Nap - Not a notable feature
Dictation - Only a feature if you do a lot of writing
Sharing - Only a feature if you want to annoy people on Facebook and Twitter by posting junk all the time.
Facebook/Twitter Integration - I'd rather not have Facebook baked into the OS - there's no need for that - EVER.

Airplay - possibly the best feature of Mountain Lion. This one actually has its uses!

GateKeeper - No. Just No. If you think this is a good idea, you either dont understand anything about tech, or are very naive.

Then they list "Over 200 new features". Most of which are individual tiny things like reordering table headers using voice over - thats not worthy of being called a feature. I'm not exaggerating here either - thats actually listed as one of the 200 features: http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/features.html

Am I being negative? You bet your ass I am. However out of everything I've listed as a "Feature" of Mountain Lion. I can honestly say that I've only ever found Airplay to be helpful. Even then I've only used it once in a blue moon.

Its not as if I'm a light user either. I'm on my mac from 8:30AM to about 6:00PM Mon-Fri working.
Your opinion is far from objective. Most of the things you list are enjoyed by me, and likely many others. You may subjectively dislike those features, but don't pass of your opinion as fact.
cmChimera is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:45 PM   #84
Howard Ellacott
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
You can thank Criag Federighi for this as he took over as Senior Vice President of Software Engineering after Bertrand Serlet left in 2011. Serlet moved to Apple with Jobs from NeXT and was Senior VP in S.E., and was mainly responsible for Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard. Criag Federighi is a hack, responsible for allowing Forstall to incorporate iOS **** into OS X while dropping the ball on improved graphics drivers and OpenGL Core support, a revised HFS+ Finder system, lack of full multiple display support, "Mission Control", horrible memory management, and pushing for an annual release cycle. The odds are, it won't change.
I think someone needs to point out to you that Craig (at least spell his name correctly) took over as head of OSX in 2011. Lion was previewed to everyone in 2010, when Bertrand Serlet was still in-charge of its development; so I don't really see how it can be Federighi's fault?
Howard Ellacott is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:03 PM   #85
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God
 
bedifferent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Ellacott View Post
I think someone needs to point out to you that Craig (at least spell his name correctly) took over as head of OSX in 2011. Lion was previewed to everyone in 2010, when Bertrand Serlet was still in-charge of its development; so I don't really see how it can be Federighi's fault?
Bertrand had nothing to do with 10.7. He was on his way out, and at that time there was no S.V.P. of S.E. at Apple. Craig was acting head of S.E. at the time of Bertrand's departure. Read up on it, it's very interesting.

Oh, and thanks for pointing out my typo.

Quote:
I think someone needs to point out to you that Craig (at least spell his name correctly) took over as head of OSX in 2011
Please don't rudely correct someone with false information. You catch more flies with honey...

As for your statement, that's incorrect.

Quote:
Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 08:35 am
Serlet joined Apple in 1997 and has been involved in the definition, development and creation of Mac OS X. Before his time at Apple, Serlet spent four years at Xerox PARC, then joined NeXT with Jobs in 1989. He holds a doctorate in Computer Science from the University of Orsay, France.

"I've worked with Steve for 22 years and have had an incredible time developing products at both NeXT and Apple, but at this point, I want to focus less on products and more on science," Serlet said.

He will be replaced by Craig Federighi, Apple's vice president of Mac Software Engineering. In his new role, Federighi will assume Serlet's responsibilities and will report directly to Jobs.

Federighi is responsible for the development of Mac OS X, and has been managing the Mac OS software engineering group for the past two years. It was Federighi who gave a live demonstration of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion at a media event last October.

"Craig has done a great job managing the Mac OS team for the past two years," Serlet said. "Lion is a great release and the transition should be seamless."

Federighi worked at NeXT, followed by Apple, and spent a decade at Ariba where he held several roles including vice president of Internet Services and chief technology officer. He returned to Apple in 2009 to lead Mac OS X engineering. Federighi holds a Master of Science degree in Computer Science and a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from the University of California, Berkeley.
Source:

Mac OS X software chief Bertrand Serlet to depart Apple

The article and news was announced in March, 2011, and from Serlet himself:

Quote:
Craig has done a great job managing the Mac OS team for the past two years
Which means CrAIg [no typo there] had been heading OS X development for two years prior to March, 2011, hence his return to Apple in 2009 (doing the math in case it's confusing). Federighi was not announced officially on Apple's board of directors until October, 2012.

It seemed until recently no one had taken over as Senior VP of Software Engineering. No one had that title until Craig Federighi was [finally] listed on Apple's Executive Profiles. Here is an interesting article about the fate of OS X (I don't agree with all of it, but the writer has some valid points):


Another Crystal Clear Sign That OS X Is Going to Die Really Soon
__________________
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Arthur C. Clarke

Last edited by bedifferent; Jan 9, 2013 at 01:28 PM.
bedifferent is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:14 PM   #86
Risco
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
Firstly, its against forum rules to accuse people of trolling (not to mention highly pathetic). Secondly I'm not trolling. I'm stating fact.

Its a case of it only being a feature for the select few people that use it. Nothing 'big' has come to OS X in a long time now short of welcomed performance improvements.

Lets actually look at it objectively:

Game center - It has next to no real use if you dont do multiplayer gaming heavily on your mac. Gaming on the mac is already fairly niche (although granted it is growing). Even then, who the hell needs it? Seriously it's such a minuscule usage market. The biggest annoyance is that some tit decided to disable the ability to delete it.

Mail - It's a good app. But its only a good app if you need it. With the likes of very well made webmail clients, it's not something I'd personally ever want to use. Gmail and Outlook webmail clients do a pretty amazing job, and are updated a hell of a lot more often than Mail.app is.

AirDrop - A useful little feature, doesnt work for me however. Never has done, and never really tried to fix it. Certainly not worthy of being listed as a major OS feature.

iCloud - I had high hopes for it. But a measly 5GB free limit, and piss poor performance outside the US made it very much an annoyance more than a feature. Dropbox and Google Drive do a way better job of file syncing. The only plus of iCloud is storing notes in it, and using Photo Stream...assuming you dont hit your limit within the first 15 minutes of using the darn thing! At the end of the day, it's just MobileMe rebranded after the monumental mess they made of it.

Safari - Cant really include that. It's not a core part of the OS. It's a downloadable app.

Drill into the features of mountain lion. Look at Apple's page on it. The feature list really is quite pathetic.

Notification Center - it does an 'ok' job but Growl is still way more convenient than having to keep opening up some silly hidden sidebar that's been bodged into the top corner of the screen. Most apps still use growl however, and will do for the foreseeable future. Especially given that Apple are locking down the OS X features to only work with MAS apps.

Reminders - Should be an optional app in the MAS, not built into the system.
Notes - The same as reminders.

iMessage - Nice. But never works for me on any of my machines. Spends ages spinning a wheel only to tell me it couldnt connect to the Apple servers. Littlesnitch doesnt even show it trying.
Facetime - Same situation as iMessage
(A note about both iMessage and Facetime - dont forget that these replaced iChat. So only half a feature there really)

Power Nap - Not a notable feature
Dictation - Only a feature if you do a lot of writing
Sharing - Only a feature if you want to annoy people on Facebook and Twitter by posting junk all the time.
Facebook/Twitter Integration - I'd rather not have Facebook baked into the OS - there's no need for that - EVER.

Airplay - possibly the best feature of Mountain Lion. This one actually has its uses!

GateKeeper - No. Just No. If you think this is a good idea, you either dont understand anything about tech, or are very naive.

Then they list "Over 200 new features". Most of which are individual tiny things like reordering table headers using voice over - thats not worthy of being called a feature. I'm not exaggerating here either - thats actually listed as one of the 200 features: http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/features.html

Am I being negative? You bet your ass I am. However out of everything I've listed as a "Feature" of Mountain Lion. I can honestly say that I've only ever found Airplay to be helpful. Even then I've only used it once in a blue moon.

Its not as if I'm a light user either. I'm on my mac from 8:30AM to about 6:00PM Mon-Fri working.

----------



All of that means nothing.

I'm talking about a core OS feature here. To the end user, all they see is that Apple took the perfectly functional Quicktime they had on their previous OS X release, and 'dumbed it down' by removing a bunch of features. Then to add insult to injury, replaced said features with a pathetic social network integration where you can share videos to facebook/twitter.
These are not statements of fact, rather they are opinions that are personal to you. Regardless if there are any nuggets of truth within your post, you come across as aggressive and forceful and that is no way to conduct yourself on a forum or anywhere for that matter.
__________________
15" Macbook Pro 2012, 2.3ghz, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD | iPhone 5s 32GB Space Grey
Risco is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:23 PM   #87
SeattleMoose
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Der Wald
What made Snow Leopard the very best OS X release (to date) was that Apple said out of the gate that attention was going to be focused not on new features (e.g no new "social" features), but on PERFORMANCE and STABILITY.

I have a 2012 Mac Mini with 10.8.2 and a 2007 MBP with 10.6.8. I still like the ride MUCH better with 10.6.8 and don't plan on EVER updating my MBP to Lion or Mountain Lion. If it ain't broke.....

Only Snow Leopard measures up to the phrase that "used" to apply to Apple products...."it just works".
SeattleMoose is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:28 PM   #88
el-John-o
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleMoose View Post
What made Snow Leopard the very best OS X release (to date) was that Apple said out of the gate that attention was going to be focused not on new features (e.g no new "social" features), but on PERFORMANCE and STABILITY.

I have a 2012 Mac Mini with 10.8.2 and a 2007 MBP with 10.6.8. I still like the ride MUCH better with 10.6.8 and don't plan on EVER updating my MBP to Lion or Mountain Lion. If it ain't broke.....

Only Snow Leopard measures up to the phrase that "used" to apply to Apple products...."it just works".
I've honestly been very happy with the performance and stability of Mountain Lion, though I do have high hopes for the future.

Leopard was a release with a host of new features, along with a host of bugs and occasional issues. Snow Leopard was what Leopard should have been. I think the same may come of future versions. I think it's a smart move for Apple to move to smaller, cheaper, incremental updates over large and potentially disastrous ones. In turn we have a more frequent release cycle and less new features per release, but hopefully more stability.
__________________
Windows7 PC - Phenom II 965@4GHz x4 Cores, 16GB DDR3-2133, Radeon HD7970 | iPhone 5 32GB | iPad WiFi+3G 64GB | Mid 2012 MacBook Pro 13", Dual 256GB SSD's in RAID 0, 16GB DDR3-1600
el-John-o is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:30 PM   #89
SirYossi
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Penfield
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulge View Post
Fix internet sharing. Last time it mostly worked was in Tiger.
Works fine in OS X.7 used it couple times at work
only did it to try to see if it worked and it worked
SirYossi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:56 PM   #90
ConCat
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: In an ethereal plane of existence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
Sure it doesn't make sense to try and charge $30 for QT pro (frankly I don't think it ever did) but that's no reason for the functionality to not be available. There's still a need for basic things like trimming a movie and resaving, or file conversion, or exporting audio, or just adding an audio file to a movie, none of which should require a full NLE to do. Not to mention that using even iMovie for those things is a pain compared to QT7.

Saying QT player doesn't need those features is like saying Apple doesn't need the textedit app since Pages exists.

And if AV foundation is the new 64 bit version of QT, Apple needs to support it in their own apps beyond the two for video editing, like Logic. But I guess that would require the programmers to do some actual work.
Actually, Quicktime X can trim movies, it can export to a few different types of movie, and you can export audio only. Don't think you can add audio to a movie, but 3 out of 4 aint bad.
ConCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:30 PM   #91
DesterWallaboo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Western USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentaluproar View Post
They added social features. Uploading video clips from Quicktime X to vimeo and facebook is MUCH easier now. It's surprising how useful that is.
And removed the Pro features....
DesterWallaboo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:11 PM   #92
The Bulge
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Up your ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirYossi View Post
Works fine in OS X.7 used it couple times at work
only did it to try to see if it worked and it worked
It doesn't work with 3G sticks and in Mountain Lion it's even worse than usual.
The Bulge is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:36 PM   #93
milo
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
Actually, Quicktime X can trim movies, it can export to a few different types of movie, and you can export audio only. Don't think you can add audio to a movie, but 3 out of 4 aint bad.
True about trim, but video and audio exports have extremely limited options compared with the QT7 - for audio the only option is literally "audio only", no settings available at all. And while it does have trim, it's still missing basics like copy/paste as well as less info in the info window, and no more movie properties and AV controls windows, both of which included a number of info and options.
milo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:37 PM   #94
iBug2
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
Sure it doesn't make sense to try and charge $30 for QT pro (frankly I don't think it ever did) but that's no reason for the functionality to not be available. There's still a need for basic things like trimming a movie and resaving, or file conversion, or exporting audio, or just adding an audio file to a movie, none of which should require a full NLE to do. Not to mention that using even iMovie for those things is a pain compared to QT7.

Saying QT player doesn't need those features is like saying Apple doesn't need the textedit app since Pages exists.

And if AV foundation is the new 64 bit version of QT, Apple needs to support it in their own apps beyond the two for video editing, like Logic. But I guess that would require the programmers to do some actual work.
I'm pretty sure the new version of Logic will be based on it, and your old Quicktime 7 Pro still works. So Apple isn't taking away a functionality. They only aren't putting it inside the new Quicktime. I do have a QT Pro licence yet I haven't used Quicktime for some editing work for a long time now. iMovie seems much easier for the type of stuff I do. Text Edit / Pages example is not the right kind of analogy imho. Apple still has Quicktime and iMovie. One is for viewing, the other is for creating. I think it's the same for Pages/ Text Edit. I use Text Edit to read things but I'd rather type in Pages if the stuff I type is going to be longer than a page.

But, as a viewer app, Quicktime Player X needs picture controls, which is still missing. So I don't really mind the editing features being obsolete, but I do mind the viewer ones being obsolete, since they are now touting it as a viewer app.
__________________
MP Hex D700 32GB-1TB, rMBP 2.7 15" 16GB, ATD, iPhone 4S, iPad Air
iBug2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:02 PM   #95
milo
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
I guess we disagree about textedit as well, it's absolutely a "creation" app and plenty of people use it that way. Apple's app for just "viewing" would be preview, and even that seems to have more editing features than QTX.

And we'll have to see about Logic, hopefully the next major update will bring back all the missing video features in 64 bit mode, but we'll see. It's about time, three years those features have been gone.
milo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:16 PM   #96
JohnDoe98
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBug2 View Post
I'm pretty sure the new version of Logic will be based on it, and your old Quicktime 7 Pro still works. So Apple isn't taking away a functionality. They only aren't putting it inside the new Quicktime. I do have a QT Pro licence yet I haven't used Quicktime for some editing work for a long time now. iMovie seems much easier for the type of stuff I do. Text Edit / Pages example is not the right kind of analogy imho. Apple still has Quicktime and iMovie. One is for viewing, the other is for creating. I think it's the same for Pages/ Text Edit. I use Text Edit to read things but I'd rather type in Pages if the stuff I type is going to be longer than a page.

But, as a viewer app, Quicktime Player X needs picture controls, which is still missing. So I don't really mind the editing features being obsolete, but I do mind the viewer ones being obsolete, since they are now touting it as a viewer app.
First, QT 7 isn't hardware accelerated so though it works, it's wretched in terms of performance, and that is a major problem. Second, to do anything in iMovie you have to import the entire film which takes considerable time, and only then you can work on it. If all I want to do is make a quick modification to the video/audio, there should be an easy solution, which is why QT 7 was so useful. Third, iMovie has existed since 1999, so it has existed alongside QT 7 and before, for a while now, yet we still found QT 7 Pro useful and worthy of those features. I don't see why everything changes now that we have QT X.

The same pattern has emerged in other areas too. Just compare Airport Utility 5.6 with Airport Utility 6, the latter has a nicer newer interface but its features are severely limited and there doesn't seem to be much happening to lead us to think they will be fully restored.
JohnDoe98 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:20 PM   #97
DJJAZZYJET
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KattDaDon View Post
I don't get why you re wrote this cause its already there in the article above
Because the 'graphics drivers' will hopefully improve the annoying choppy animations.

Last edited by DJJAZZYJET; Jan 9, 2013 at 05:31 PM.
DJJAZZYJET is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:55 PM   #98
DesterWallaboo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Western USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
I guess we disagree about textedit as well, it's absolutely a "creation" app and plenty of people use it that way. Apple's app for just "viewing" would be preview, and even that seems to have more editing features than QTX.

And we'll have to see about Logic, hopefully the next major update will bring back all the missing video features in 64 bit mode, but we'll see. It's about time, three years those features have been gone.
I'm not holding my breath on Logic..... after seeing what they did to FCP X.
DesterWallaboo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:48 PM   #99
rdlink
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
You've just contradicted yourself there.

You called my opinion invalid. I'm calling yours invalid.

425 million people use the Gmail webmail client. You dont hear people bitching and moaning about it.

As for the comment about Microsoft that shows you're very narrow-minded about this whole thing. Have you even looked at just screenshots of Outlook Webmail?

(For the record, I'm not a Microsoft fan, and avoid using their stuff wherever possible, however I like to keep an open mind, and have actually tested outlook webmail instead of spieling off a load of rubbish declaring it crap just because Microsoft made it)
I'm one of the 425 million (Or at least I was until I got a smart phone and started running a Window VM on my Mac at work, so I can check my email using my the Mail app on my Mac host machine). That doesn't make the interface any less crap. People will put up with a lot of crap for free or cheap. Android's proof of that.

And I use MS all the time. I have to. It's my job. I have a long, long history with MS. And I can say with certainty this: Throughout the years, the rarely "get it." Windows 8 is proof of that.
__________________
Desktop, Desktop, Laptop, Phone, Tablet
rdlink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:06 AM   #100
milo
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesterWallaboo View Post
I'm not holding my breath on Logic..... after seeing what they did to FCP X.
No question Logic is a low priority for them, but there just isn't any reason to expect them to totally scrap the app and start over like FCX.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Seeds Build 12F13 of OS X Beta 10.8.5 to Developers MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 13 Jul 8, 2013 08:25 AM
Apple Seeds Build 12D58 of OS X Beta 10.8.3 to Developers MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 97 Mar 15, 2013 09:15 PM
Apple Seeds Build 12D76 of OS X Beta 10.8.3 to Developers MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 204 Mar 13, 2013 04:41 AM
Apple Seeds Build 12D74 of OS X Beta 10.8.3 to Developers MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 165 Mar 10, 2013 08:18 AM
Apple Seeds Build 12D65 of OS X Beta 10.8.3 to Developers MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 117 Feb 19, 2013 01:43 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC