Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:28 PM   #1
wiivile
macrumors regular

How does iCloud backup 1gb of data in 1 minute?

I recently set my iPhone 5 to backup via iCloud, and it said the backup size would be 1gb. It finished in about 1 minute. How is this possible?? Can I be sure it uploaded the whole backup?
wiivile is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:00 AM   #2
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Yes, you can. Also don't forget that it backs up daily as long as the device is plugged in and on Wi-Fi. You can also do a manual backup from within Settings>iCloud>Storage and Backup if you feel it didn't complete.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:53 AM   #3
wiivile
macrumors regular

umm i dont think its possible to back up 1gb in 1 minute even if over wifi at standard modern internet speeds....
wiivile is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:17 AM   #4
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
umm i dont think its possible to back up 1gb in 1 minute even if over wifi at standard modern internet speeds....
I believe that Verizon FIOS can move a GB that fast, although the plan that the average perosn would get, it would take closer to 2 minutes to move a GB. However, the WiFi would be the limiting factor in that case and you would be looking at a few minutes to move a GB of data over a perfect WiFi setup.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:34 AM   #5
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Was this also your first backup or a later one? If it's a later one, it's only backing up changes made to the first one.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:20 AM   #6
guitarmandp
macrumors 6502

I am convinced when you delete something it does not go away and it is cached.

I had a CD of my friends band at 128Kbps that I ripped years ago. It was backed up to iTunes match. Last year I started upgrading all of my CD's to lossless. I reripped this CD and it uploaded in like 10 seconds to iTunes match. As a taste I deleted the files from my computer and the cloud claims that the files are 256Kbps but I don't buy it. There's no way you could upload that entire CD that's in lossless and convert it to 128 in that short of time.
guitarmandp is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services