Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular Kickstarter smart watch project Pebble, which broke records by raising over $10 million in its funding push, has announced at CES today that the device will begin shipping to Kickstarter backers on January 23. With over 85,000 orders placed, it will take approximately 6-8 weeks to fulfill the Kickstarter orders, after which the watch will be available for general sale.

pebble_watches.jpg
Image from Engadget
Pebble is just one of a growing number of smart watches, and Apple has even been rumored to be working on its own project. But Pebble's relatively large e-paper display and an API for app developers have generated considerable buzz for the project.

Pebble supports both iOS and Android devices via low-power Bluetooth 4.0, with iOS devices requiring a minimum of iOS 5 for basic compatibility and iOS 6 for the full set of features. When paired with an iOS 6 device, Pebble can display many of the alerts that typically pop up in Notification Center. Pebble is also working on building out a cloud infrastructure that would allow users to sign in to a web site or web app with their Pebble accounts and receive notifications from the site pushed to their watches.

Article Link: Pebble Smart Watch to Begin Shipping January 23

ThatsMrsGeek2U

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2012
I'm finally coming around to the idea of a watch again, finding that I can't have my phone laying around with young kids.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
I've been looking forward to this announcement. I wasn't a backer, but I'm on board now. This looks awesome.

So if I ordered today, I expect I wouldn't get until April? Ughhhhh.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Judging from the pic, it will probably ship on 23rd September.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
It is looking pretty nice. I like some of the minimalist watch faces and the music controls will be great.

I am hoping that they are able to get some good app support, runkeeper will be great as I always keep my phone on me during my runs.

Would be really nice if there was some kind pedometer app that integrates with a service like Fitbit.

billyt1963

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
In this case the nine twenty three is the time. There are a few different ways to display time. I think I actually like that one.

Billy

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
That and the display doesn't seem very nice either.

I like the e-ink display because it is always on. Any of the other watches that are based on an LCD display, although higher resolution, are always off. You have to push a button to turn the screen on every time, because otherwise the battery wouldn't last more than a few minutes.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I like the idea of this watch, but I'll wait until at least version 2.0 before I pull the trigger.

The next iteration will get some of the 1.0 bugs ironed out and might offer some different band choices. I'd like to see this technology in a watch with a round face and stainless steel band.

Blomkvist

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
North Carolina
I am a backer on the Kickstarter campaign...very excited to get this in my hands and try it out.

I am hoping that some developer comes out with a fitbit/fuelband like application for this watch. It seems to me that this functionality would best fit into a sports watch...and I think Pebble would be a great platform.

Ashyukun

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
I like the e-ink display because it is always on. Any of the other watches that are based on an LCD display, although higher resolution, are always off. You have to push a button to turn the screen on every time, because otherwise the battery wouldn't last more than a few minutes.

This is one of the main reasons I'm looking forward to getting mine- I LOVE my Nano watch, but hate having to tap the button to turn the display on to see the time.

Blomkvist said:
I am hoping that some developer comes out with a fitbit/fuelband like application for this watch. It seems to me that this functionality would best fit into a sports watch...and I think Pebble would be a great platform.

I'm also really hoping this is one of the launch apps that is available for it- that and a sleep-cycle tracker/alarm. If done well it could destroy the other fitness trackers just for how much else you can do with the Pebble.

I'm glad we finally have a ship date for them- but I'm also worried about how long it will be until mine actually ships out. Definitely curious as to what priority order they'll use for shipping them. Order in which the backers signed up? Single-unit order first? Preference to multiple-unit orders? I'm unfortunately figuring I won't get mine until well into March. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will come in around my birthday. :p

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Ahhh finally. Eagerly awaiting my Pebble in black, it has been a long long wait since the Kickstarter closed.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
I like the idea, but I don't think I want to take off my existing time piece. Very tough for the geek in me.

I'll wait for the next gen and more integration/acceptance before I consider again.

d-klumpp

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2010
Chicago
Real watches don't use batteries

Not only am I puzzled by the concept of a cheesy electronic watch, what's the point of having a remote screen for my phone –– a phone that's rarely more than an arm's length away??

Real watches are usually Swiss and are always mechanical. Unless one is training for a marathon, to be caught with something else is an embarrassment.

Dave

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Yes. It's not retina. It's e-ink.

I think it's a great project - and certainly seems to be better than previously released similar-type watches.

Technically and legally, the screen is e-paper, not e-ink. Similar, but different. The screen in the Pebble is manufactured by Sharp and doesn't use e-Ink's technology and isn't licensed by e-Ink.

Looking forward to getting mine. Once they were Xmas gifts, now birthday, Mother's Day and graduation gifts. Funny how the timing of it all worked out in the end. That is, of course, unless Apple announces a watch this Spring. Then I'm doomed again.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
I missed the kickstarter but I pre ordered as soon as I saw the potential.

It's an amazingly cheap and cool way to be connected and personalise the whole 'watch' experience.

There are other more premium smart watches but they are stupid prices.

I am quite happy to give them $119 to see how much I enjoy having it. Shame I've got to wait another 2 or 3 months though by the looks of it!

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I'm glad we finally have a ship date for them- but I'm also worried about how long it will be until mine actually ships out. Definitely curious as to what priority order they'll use for shipping them. Order in which the backers signed up? Single-unit order first? Preference to multiple-unit orders?

Wondering the same myself. Hoping I get included on some of the earlier shipments so I get it before I move.

Ahhh finally. Eagerly awaiting my Pebble in black, it has been a long long wait since the Kickstarter closed.

Agreed!

Not only am I puzzled by the concept of a cheesy electronic watch, what's the point of having a remote screen for my phone –– a phone that's rarely more than an arm's length away??

Real watches are usually Swiss and are always mechanical. Unless one is training for a marathon, to be caught with something else is an embarrassment.

Dave

This conversation again? Do we really need to re-hash this everytime another post is made about a smart watch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.