Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:16 AM   #26
iEvolution
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
Ill make sure to bump this thread in march after you & everybody else buys the ipad 5
Funny you say this because I've stopped buying Apple products. Its not because of the apparent new 6 month upgrade its Apple's lack of ethics.

The lightning adapter with zero benefits over the old adapter. Then to block 3rd party developers for months while they try to hog all the profits for conversion adapters and can't even keep up with demand? Some company Apple has become.

I'll see you in March and let you know that I didn't buy one.
iEvolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:18 AM   #27
Brounmoney
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
The problem is when was the last time we saw Apple do something is different from what the line already has? I think these are all just rumors just like the iPhone 6 have a 4.3 to a 4.5 inch screen, and then offering the smaller size for cheaper. These rumors come out every single time before Apple releases a new product. Guess what the ipad 5 when ever it comes out may look a little different, but the size is going to be the same. Apple just does not change there lines that much. I mean look at the mini it really is just a smaller ipad with a few more curves. From the iPhone all the way up to the ipad they all have that same look, so that when you see them you say Apple. Rumors are fun but I would take them with a grain of salt.
Brounmoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:43 AM   #28
Defender2010
macrumors 68000
 
Defender2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccio View Post
So, $1.000.000 question... What if iPad 5 will "only" be thinner and lighter with not significant hardware improvements, assuming that the new policy is to release two tablets every year, a minor and a major upgrade. What if the iPad 5 is just the minor upgrade? Would you buy it, or again as it happens with the iPad 4, are you going to wait the iPad 6?
I think anyone following releases would agree that the next iPad should see more than a minor upgrade. It's had the same form factor for 3 generations now, we should expect a redesign...which I would personally say would not count as a minor upgrade. If the bezels are not reduced (or if they are) we should physically see:

-Chamfered edges - because that's their thing right now!
-Metal volume, power (anyone notice these buttons are the same size - help to reduce cost?) and side switch buttons.
-White/black headphone socket on the respective coloured iPads.
-Two Speakers
-Polished Apple logo on the back - perhaps the back will be like the Mini too for each colour.

Those are the only things I would bet on for certain if I was a betting man. I may win or lose the bet!
Bezel size, weight and overall size are dependent on all the other factors mentioned in other threads (IGZO display etc), until parts start to leak we can't really be sure of more.
__________________
W2P KLD talking...what's your handle, WR2 GFO?
Defender2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:31 AM   #29
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEvolution View Post
Funny you say this because I've stopped buying Apple products. Its not because of the apparent new 6 month upgrade its Apple's lack of ethics...
Who will you go with?

Google is blocking Google Maps on Windows Phone even though there is no reason to do so. It works just fine on IE and there was no technical change to prompt that action.

Microsoft made deals replace Google search with Bing on some Motororla products.

Google wouldn't give turn by turn navigation on the iPhone unless Apple gavethem acess to detailed user info.

There are many, many examples of every large tech corporation behaving poorly. If you are going to bycott a company because of how they act, enjoy your pad of paper.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:45 AM   #30
D.T.
macrumors 68030
 
D.T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vilano Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
If you are going to bycott a company because of how they act, enjoy your pad of paper.
I'm sure the paper companies are destroying owl habitats and not providing safe work conditions.
D.T. is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:16 AM   #31
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
I'm sure the paper companies are destroying owl habitats and not providing safe work conditions.
Exactly. Best write in some dirt with your finger if you want a tablet from a company with good ethics.

Besides being smaller, the move from Mini to Micro-USB did nothing for the consumer, and it screwed all those people with Mini-USB accessories.

Selective outrage is awesome.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:19 AM   #32
jamesryanbell
macrumors 68020
 
jamesryanbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
As far as form factor, there hasn't really been a major update since iPad 2 (going flat in the back instead of rounded). iPad 3's big deal was Retina (which was huge), and iPad 4 was relatively minor (processor and connector...although the processor was a great selling point to those who care). iPad 5 should be the next big form factor change if everything we're hearing is right. It'll be the new "one to have". Can't wait. That's when my money will be spent.
__________________
iPhone 5S White/Silver 64GB AT&T
iPad Air White/Silver 16GB AT&T
MBA 11" / 27" ACD / ATV3
jamesryanbell is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:21 AM   #33
RenoG
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEvolution View Post
Funny you say this because I've stopped buying Apple products. Its not because of the apparent new 6 month upgrade its Apple's lack of ethics.


I'll see you in March and let you know that I didn't buy one.
So this tells me that you still use a type writer very heavily, oh wait but you posted on this site with what?.....A device you will no longer buy? You do know that no matter which company you purchase from it will be one that lacks certain ethics whether you are privy to them or not..Its like saying you will boycott a particular company because they pollute the earth from their manufacturing process..Well thats everybody
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:21 AM   #34
Scarpad
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccio View Post
So, $1.000.000 question... What if iPad 5 will "only" be thinner and lighter with not significant hardware improvements, assuming that the new policy is to release two tablets every year, a minor and a major upgrade. What if the iPad 5 is just the minor upgrade? Would you buy it, or again as it happens with the iPad 4, are you going to wait the iPad 6?
I just picked up an IPAD 4 64 gb wifi, for just that reason. The thing is a screamer, when I compare how fast my Ipad 3 was before I sold it to get a mini. I'm not sure what more they could do to it to make the performance any better, so if its just a form change then I know I would'nt be interested. I can see me keeping this Ipad for several generations much like I did for the Ipad 1. It does everythnig I need it to.
__________________
Imac 2011 I5 12gb * Ipod Touch 5g 16gb* Ipad Air 128gb LTE *ATV 3
Scarpad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:34 AM   #35
GekkePrutser
macrumors 6502a
 
GekkePrutser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
I would so buy that!

I never really care about specs, I bought the iPad 3 on launch day because of the beautiful retina screen, I'm skipping the iPad 4 because the 3 is plenty fast for me (don't play games).

But it is kind of heavy, I got an iPad mini for this reason but got rid of it because it couldn't replace my big iPad due to the bad screen and the typing was too awkward.

A smaller, lighter 9.7" iPad would be the best combination for me!

I wonder how true this is though.. Would love to see some mockups. March is only 3 months away, usually mockups are leaked by then.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
-Polished Apple logo on the back - perhaps the back will be like the Mini too for each colour.
I really hope this one won't come true.

The plastic Apple on the back of the big iPads is also a WiFi antenna. I compared both their WiFi ranges when I had a mini, and the mini had significantly worse WiFi range because it doesn't have a back antenna. I really hope they keep this one.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslnschld View Post
The nice thing about the bezel is that it gives your fingers a place to hold on without being on the screen when you need to hold it in one hand. I would hate to see it go for that reason.
But it's way too heavy to hold in one hand anyway... I could do without.
GekkePrutser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:45 AM   #36
Defender2010
macrumors 68000
 
Defender2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by GekkePrutser View Post
I would so buy that!

I never really care about specs, I bought the iPad 3 on launch day because of the beautiful retina screen, I'm skipping the iPad 4 because the 3 is plenty fast for me (don't play games).

But it is kind of heavy, I got an iPad mini for this reason but got rid of it because it couldn't replace my big iPad due to the bad screen and the typing was too awkward.

A smaller, lighter 9.7" iPad would be the best combination for me!

I wonder how true this is though.. Would love to see some mockups. March is only 3 months away, usually mockups are leaked by then.

----------



I really hope this one won't come true.

The plastic Apple on the back of the big iPads is also a WiFi antenna. I compared both their WiFi ranges when I had a mini, and the mini had significantly worse WiFi range because it doesn't have a back antenna. I really hope they keep this one.

----------



But it's way too heavy to hold in one hand anyway... I could do without.
This is just not true - apart from the original iPad, where the antenna extended to the Apple logo inside the device. Otherwise (since iPad 2 onwards) the antenna (s) is on the edge of the device. Plus, it is not a problem for a WiFi signal to travel through aluminium. In my experience the Mini does not have worse range than any other iPad model. So, Lose The Plastic Apple, Apple!
__________________
W2P KLD talking...what's your handle, WR2 GFO?
Defender2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:48 AM   #37
mattopotamus
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
This is just not true - apart from the original iPad, where the antenna extended to the Apple logo inside the device. Otherwise (since iPad 2 onwards) the antenna (s) is on the edge of the device. Plus, it is not a problem for a WiFi signal to travel through aluminium. In my experience the Mini does not have worse range than any other iPad model. So, Lose The Plastic Apple, Apple!
I will agree with the person you quoted....maybe not on their logic as to why, but the mini does not have the wifi range the 4 had in my experience.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:59 AM   #38
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GekkePrutser View Post
...The plastic Apple on the back of the big iPads is also a WiFi antenna. I compared both their WiFi ranges when I had a mini, and the mini had significantly worse WiFi range because it doesn't have a back antenna.
The cellular Mini has a plastic antenna cover on the back as well.

__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:40 AM   #39
mrkjsn
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyriley View Post
Wtf does "mini curves" mean?
Shape...form...style..."wtf" do you think it means?
__________________
13"MBP, iPhone 4, iPad 3, iPad mini
mrkjsn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:14 PM   #40
Che Castro
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEvolution View Post
Funny you say this because I've stopped buying Apple products. Its not because of the apparent new 6 month upgrade its Apple's lack of ethics.

The lightning adapter with zero benefits over the old adapter. Then to block 3rd party developers for months while they try to hog all the profits for conversion adapters and can't even keep up with demand? Some company Apple has become.

I'll see you in March and let you know that I didn't buy one.
Why are you in this forum if you stopped buying apple products
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:44 PM   #41
brand
macrumors 68040
 
brand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 127.0.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
Why are you in this forum if you stopped buying apple products
Because he is a Troll.
brand is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:56 PM   #42
SR71
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyriley View Post
Wtf does "mini curves" mean?
I think it's supposed to mean curves like the mini has... I don't know lol, I'm just posting it here because I thought some forum members would find this info interesting. iLounge has a pretty good track record, which is also why I posted this.
__________________
-------------------------------
-Mid-2013 13" MacBook Air
-16 GB Verizon iPhone 5

-------------------------------
SR71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:40 PM   #43
rowspaxe
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEvolution View Post
One of the best things about Apple is when you buy their products you are 'current' for at least a year. For me this 6 month release cycle is actually quite a turn off.
I have seen this view expressed in many of the ipad threads, I keep trying to understand it. In some way people feel they have to have the latest ios device, but they don't feel they have to have the latest macbook pro. I guess it goes to the issue that people use ios devices in public spaces, so there is more of a fashion brand participation aspect.
rowspaxe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:44 PM   #44
Tigger11
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rocket City, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEvolution View Post
Funny you say this because I've stopped buying Apple products. Its not because of the apparent new 6 month upgrade its Apple's lack of ethics.

The lightning adapter with zero benefits over the old adapter.
The Lightning adapter has lots of benefits over the old adapter, size being the easiest one to see and understand, its silly to make the changing of a 10 year old plug to a much better next generation plug capable of much faster transfers into a big conspiracy.
Tigger11 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:07 PM   #45
OafTobark
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1441 View Post
Dumb. Need the edges to manage the size of a 9 inch tablet.
Size, or weight?

More bezel = more edge room the hold on = better grip.

You wouldn't need that if the iPad takes after the mini design. It'll be incredibly lighter and extremely slim meaning way easier to hold, and less strain on the wrists.
__________________
iPhone 5s; Verizon 16gb - Space Grey
MacBook Air - 11.6" i5
OafTobark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:30 PM   #46
racer1441
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by OafTobark View Post
Size, or weight?

More bezel = more edge room the hold on = better grip.

You wouldn't need that if the iPad takes after the mini design. It'll be incredibly lighter and extremely slim meaning way easier to hold, and less strain on the wrists.
Sure you do. You end up needing to hold it by touching the screen with a smaller bezel.
racer1441 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:57 PM   #47
SR71
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Personally, I think that if Apple releases the iPad 5 with the current specs (A6X, 1GB RAM, retina display, etc..), but with a lighter and thinner chassis that has the iPad Mini-style design, with slightly thinner bezels (I think the current bezel is 0.75" all-around, so the new iPad could have slightly thinner bezels that are, say, 0.5" thick).

This would make for a "smaller" iPad, while still keeping the same 9.7" display. This would also make it lighter because they'd be able to shave off that extra metal and glass. Combine this with making it thinner and you've got one hell of an iPad.

This is definitely feasible, and is what I am expecting to see come March. Thoughts?
__________________
-------------------------------
-Mid-2013 13" MacBook Air
-16 GB Verizon iPhone 5

-------------------------------
SR71 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:30 PM   #48
Shadyriley
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71 View Post
I think it's supposed to mean curves like the mini has... I don't know lol, I'm just posting it here because I thought some forum members would find this info interesting. iLounge has a pretty good track record, which is also why I posted this.

Still don't get it. The iPad mini has curves?
Shadyriley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:33 PM   #49
SR71
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyriley View Post
Still don't get it. The iPad mini has curves?
Most likely just means the style of it. I think by curves, he means how the edges on the iPad mini "curve" up more so than the edges do on the regular iPad. In the end, I think he just means that the iPad 5 will adopt the iPad Mini design, that is to say, black/slate and white/silver color options, the chamfered edge, and the polished Apple logo.
__________________
-------------------------------
-Mid-2013 13" MacBook Air
-16 GB Verizon iPhone 5

-------------------------------
SR71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:07 PM   #50
virginblue4
macrumors 65816
 
virginblue4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEvolution View Post
Funny you say this because I've stopped buying Apple products. Its not because of the apparent new 6 month upgrade its Apple's lack of ethics.

The lightning adapter with zero benefits over the old adapter. Then to block 3rd party developers for months while they try to hog all the profits for conversion adapters and can't even keep up with demand? Some company Apple has become.

I'll see you in March and let you know that I didn't buy one.
As Tim Cook said, Apple physically couldn't create the iPhone 5 with the old dock connector. There was not enough room.
__________________

iPhone 5S, gold, iOS 8b2
iPad mini with Retina display, silver, iOS 7.1.1
Late 2012 27" iMac - 3.4GHz i7, 1TB Fusion, 24GB RAM, 680MX 2GB
virginblue4 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Very Cheap "Android experience" between iPad Mini and iPad Air :-) CiccioAtSea Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 36 Nov 25, 2013 06:37 PM
iPad: How will a smaller ipad 9.7" work? gadget123 iPad 5 Jan 13, 2013 11:20 AM
iPad Mini: So, now the iPad mini is the "ideal" form factor for the iPad Dolorian iPad 69 Nov 6, 2012 08:04 PM
All iPads: The "justify you iPad mini purchase/iPad 4 upgrade/neither" thread comatose81 iPad 5 Nov 5, 2012 05:12 AM
All iPads: iPad mini and iPad 4...problem is neither is great, so which one is "good enough"? flavr iPad 8 Nov 4, 2012 11:26 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:05 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC