Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
Hi
I am looking at allowing advertising in my mac app. Can anybody tell me if this is possible? Are there any companies out there that offer this, like they do for iOS apps?
Sam

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
#1 - Yes, you may have ads in your app.
#2 - These apps may be sold on the App Store.
#3 - I don't know of any companies giving libraries for adding ads to Mac Apps like they do for iOS apps. As far as I know (I admit I haven't looked into this much) - the best way to add ads to your Mac App is by using NSWebViews that load a local HTML page which grabs an ad, the same as any web ad works (something else I've never done... That's the basic idea I have.)

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
#3 - I don't know of any companies giving libraries for adding ads to Mac Apps like they do for iOS apps. As far as I know (I admit I haven't looked into this much) - the best way to add ads to your Mac App is by using NSWebViews that load a local HTML page which grabs an ad, the same as any web ad works (something else I've never done... That's the basic idea I have.)

Isn't the problem with this though that however you code it, the linked webpage will open in a very small window - the size of the NSWebView?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Isn't the problem with this though that however you code it, the linked webpage will open in a very small window - the size of the NSWebView?

I've never used NSWebView on a Mac before but I'm pretty certain that it won't open another window... why not just try it and find out? Make a simple app with a load button below an NSWebView and when the button is pressed load a local page with an IFrame or something in it that links to macrumors.com, for example... seems like a simple enough test that will tell you whether you can embed web contents (in this case, macrumors) next to your app UI (the button and window).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.