Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:16 PM   #1
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

Allowing Advertising in Mac App

Hi
I am looking at allowing advertising in my mac app. Can anybody tell me if this is possible? Are there any companies out there that offer this, like they do for iOS apps?
Sam
gwelmarten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:27 PM   #2
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
#1 - Yes, you may have ads in your app.
#2 - These apps may be sold on the App Store.
#3 - I don't know of any companies giving libraries for adding ads to Mac Apps like they do for iOS apps. As far as I know (I admit I haven't looked into this much) - the best way to add ads to your Mac App is by using NSWebViews that load a local HTML page which grabs an ad, the same as any web ad works (something else I've never done... That's the basic idea I have.)
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:29 PM   #3
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
#3 - I don't know of any companies giving libraries for adding ads to Mac Apps like they do for iOS apps. As far as I know (I admit I haven't looked into this much) - the best way to add ads to your Mac App is by using NSWebViews that load a local HTML page which grabs an ad, the same as any web ad works (something else I've never done... That's the basic idea I have.)
Isn't the problem with this though that however you code it, the linked webpage will open in a very small window - the size of the NSWebView?
gwelmarten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:54 PM   #4
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwelmarten View Post
Isn't the problem with this though that however you code it, the linked webpage will open in a very small window - the size of the NSWebView?
I've never used NSWebView on a Mac before but I'm pretty certain that it won't open another window... why not just try it and find out? Make a simple app with a load button below an NSWebView and when the button is pressed load a local page with an IFrame or something in it that links to macrumors.com, for example... seems like a simple enough test that will tell you whether you can embed web contents (in this case, macrumors) next to your app UI (the button and window).

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Tags
advertising, app, mac