Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Chrome is just Safari for hipsters.

Or not.

In any case. Defenition of hipster:
A person who follows the latest trends and fashions.

Surely everyone who owns the latest Apple product could be considered a "Hipster"

(for what its worth, I hate the term...sounds extremely childish when you see people calling other people "Hipsters", like its some form of cult).

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
I don't get all this FF hate. I use it daily, always with ~50+ tabs spread across several windows, and I never have a problem.

At the strong urging of one of my friends, I tried Chrome once. First thing I wanted to do was make the tabs so they could get infinitely small. Oh, there's no setting for that. Maybe an extension? No, of course not (maybe this has changed since then, I dunno). Okay, what about moving the close button off the tabs so I don't accidentally click it? Oh, you can't do that either. And wtf is up with this "single menu" BS? So, after about 5 mins, I deemed it useless and deleted it.

And Safari I can't stand because it crashes whenever you have large quantities of tabs open, and it will even refresh the page when you visit a tab you haven't visited in a while. Unacceptable in a desktop browser. Not to mention it has the same lack of customizability as Chrome.

BTW, I use FF on my rMBP and haven't had a problem with it looking fuzzy, but I keep it at 1920x1200 which looks A LOT better :D

spb3

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2012
thanks for a thorough response. loved firefox on my pc. was quick, plenty of plugins/addons. naturally was the first thing i installed on my iMac. it has been hogging memory a lot. some serious hangups.
on BF purchased a macbook and just stayed with safari. no lagging at all. the only thing i miss is icons for the bookmarks - they are not displayed in safari.

I am working for over 10 years as a web developer now. Back while I used windows as my developing platform, I loved Mozilla and Firefox. But ever since I switched to using Mac, I hated Firefox!

Aetles

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Sweden
I want to use Camino.

http://caminobrowser.org/

It seems that the development has stopped. Not any update or further plans on camino blog.

That brings back memories. Camino (then Chimera actually) was the browser of its time. It was very Mac-like, it was fast and it had tabs. Tabs! That was a small revolution. (No, they didn't invent tabs, but it was my first contact with tabbed browsing.)

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Remotely related: There's this guy at school who downloads Chrome every time he uses the school computers. And the thing is, is that the guest accounts that the students use are temporary, so each time you log out all the stuff you've downloaded gets wiped & reset. But he still downloads Chrome every time he needs to use the computer for ten or fifteen minutes. Coz Safari, Firefox or whatever-else-is-on-there totally won't cope with loading up a few Wikipedia articles :cool:

My browser of choice is Chrome, but that guy is just plain retarded...

I don't get why people are so annoyed by other people's preferences... browser, phone, os...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Or not.

In any case. Defenition of hipster:

A person who follows the latest trends and fashions.

Maybe in the UK, but in the U.S. a "hipster," sees him or herself above "mainstream" values and products. They are more sub-culture. They don't follow the latest trends and fashions. They have their own.

hipsterspread.jpg

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Yes, Chrome.
- It's multiplatform; you can sync your tabs between your Mac, your iOS devices or even a Windows PC (Firefox doesn't support iOS)
Several iOS browsers support Firefox Sync (e.g. iCab and Mercury). And Firefox Sync is the only browser sync cloud service out there that preserves your privacy (by encrypting your information on your own devices before uploading them to the cloud).

I have been more than happy with Firefox for years now. The best thing about it is that it works great across multiple platforms including all the extensions. Firefox profiles can be easily moved from one machine to the next regardless of the operating system.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Why all the hate towards Firefox?

Chrome is fast but I don't trust it one bit, Safari is nice but lacks any real kind of tweakability and security isn't exactly as robust as Firefox.

You don't "trust" Chrome?

I don't get why people freak out about Google having a little bit of information about us. They're a reputable company so they're obviously never going to try to use that info to harm us in any way. And it's not like there are specific people watching over what you do, it's all stored in their system to help make your Google experience better.

The only reason that I can think of to worry about Google is if you're doing illegal things online. If that's the case then you shouldn't use Firefox, you should stop doing illegal things.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

I don't get why people freak out about Google having a little bit of information about us. They're a reputable company so they're obviously never going to try to use that info to harm us in any way. And it's not like there are specific people watching over what you do, it's all stored in their system to help make your Google experience better.
Google and Facebook have one thing majorly in common. You're the product to them, not the customer.

With some of the decisions that Google made with real names and Google+ made some people not quite trust Google.

Do I trust Google? More than I trust Facebook, but that isn't saying much.

And as for Chrome specifically, last time I looked at it it was a worse resource hog than Safari and Firefox combined.

MBPr15

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
I've used Firefox on OSX for years with no issues. Maybe my needs aren't the same as others, but its been just fine on my retina laptop.

I would very much like to hear what specifically chrome does better.

I had to find an alternative to safari as I've been frustrated several times by incompatibilities of sites eg checking out during an online purchase, filing forms, where safari failed. I have all the java, adobe, flash stuff added to it, yet have issues.

Turning to Firefox, simply flipped a coin as to which one to goto .. I have had no further issues. Also like that I can add things like do not track plus, http everywhere, add blocker. A I'm sure chrome supports those as well, but not safari.

I've tried chrome out of curiosity a while back, but it was just another browser in my short use. Can anyone mention specifically what I'd gain?

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Can anyone mention specifically what I'd gain?

If you're not a developer, probably not a whole lot apart from initial page rendering speeds. But with Firefox 18, and various other factors, that may be a moot point. If you like it best, then stick with it. There is no wrong browser, other than (tired web gag) Internet Explorer, which is not bad past version 8.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA

They primarily collect all that information about you to help improve their own bottom line. In the past they have done things like circumventing the user's privacy settings or publicly disclosing personal information without the user's consent. Some caution is very appropriate.
The only reason that I can think of to worry about Google is if you're doing illegal things online. If that's the case then you shouldn't use Firefox, you should stop doing illegal things.
Believe it or not, there is information that people want to keep private that is neither illegal nor "immoral". For example, if you use your browser for work, you do not want all your bookmarks and your browsing history, which may contain proprietary or confidential information, unencrypted in Google's cloud where you don't know who has access.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010

Maybe in the UK, but in the U.S. a "hipster," sees him or herself above "mainstream" values and products. They are more sub-culture. They don't follow the latest trends and fashions. They have their own.

I'm from UK and that's exactly what Hipster means in my area anyway: "hipster," sees him or herself above "mainstream" values and products.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I always use Firefox on my Mac (I must not be very good at the Internet). Then again I have to use ie 8 at work so I guess anything is an improvement

bryan.cfii

macrumors member
May 13, 2011
Iowa City, IA
I compare browsers often and don't get all the hate...

I often go through browsers for my department at school and test the latest and greatest. At least twice a month I go through and test multiple versions of Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and Opera. Other more obscure browsers I leave alone unless they pop up as something that is prevalent on the network.

I've been using Firefox 20a1 and next to Chrome Canary 26.0.1378.0 and the nightly Webkit for Safari I personally don't see all that much difference. I've even done tests on my coworkers where I've covered the navigation bars at the top of the screen with paper to see if people could guess by perceived screen which browser they were looking at by load times. Webkit browsers when they are on, they are on and do get guessed correctly, but just as often Firefox and Opera can fool them almost 50% of the time on certain sites. They are all fast. It just depends.

Chrome is obviously more web compliant when it comes to the html5 support hands down. It runs sites smooth and always scores extremely high on just about any test I throw at it. A person can't argue that, but lightning fast COMPARED to Firefox, no. I see Chrome hang on sites that Firefox doesn't and vise versa. Webkit is good on some sites and not on others. It just depends.

Chrome is responsive and sold, and so is Safari. Safari just feels smooth on the mac... but I don't see these hangs, unresponsiveness, or crashes in Firefox on a daily basis. About all I get annoyed about is the yahoo news videos that don't always play for some reason. I really don't see how Firefox is any uglier than say Safari either.

I can't use Chrome because it's just too rudimentary when it comes to bookmarks and searching. I do a lot of research and I need more control over what I see, what I get, and how I can organize it.
Chrome just can't do it. I've discussed my issues in Chromes forums and I'm not the only person who has gone around and around with Chromes developers.
Talk about people who don't care.
They are so arrogant that they just flat out tell the thousands of people asking for a feature they don't care and won't implement it.

Safari at least makes and attempt to not only delineate what search results your looking at, but it also tries to organize to an extent. It's not too bad, but lacks a little. Bookmarks are better than Chrome, but still no Keywords or anything.
Chromes search engine search is an okay substitute for keywords, but not the same when you get into it and use it.
My issues with Chrome that keep me in Firefox:

Proxy (independent of the OS)
search bar result prioritization.
search bar exclusion of certain things.
Bookmark organization and Keywords
Download organization
Printing (Chrome's gotten better, but still not there).
Memory usage (Chrome spreads out its memory usage over many processes and routinely uses cumulatively more than FF).
Chrome doesn't always dump all the memory used like people say, but is good about it mostly.
CPU usage (little bit higher usage and thus kills off about 35 minutes on a full battery charge on my MBP w/flashblock).

My tests have consistently shown Safari to be about the best on battery consumption on a portable. For me, Firefox comes in on average 12 minutes under Safari's battery life. Opera is similar to Firefox on battery. Chrome is always last.

If a student comes into me and says I need advise, I want battery life to get me through the day, I tell them Safari, FF or Opera. If they say they are worried about browser crashes, I tell them to try Chrome as long as they don't expect too much in the way of customizing. Plenty of add ons though I think.

I personally still use Firefox.

trunten

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2007
The past 5 Firefox releases use a meager amount of memory compared to Safari and Chrome. Safari is the worst at memory management. Even three tabs and it somehow ends up taking 2GB+ memory. Every browser test that has compared the modern browsers puts Firefox in first place in regards to memory management so I really think you just made the 1.8GB figure up.

I don't really care to look at memory usage much but you claim shocked me so I've opened 3 tabs in safari and checked activity monitor. I think something may be wrong with your safari because your 2GB+ figure is way off. 238.2mb for me :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.