Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
Hey techno friends,

So last night I was working on a project in Final Cut Pro X on my rMBP 15". Everything was fine, no crashes, no bugs right up until I try to add some text. Not sure why, but the adding of the text completely threw FCPX and the whole computer crashed! It wasn't even something I could fix with a force quit of FCPX.

Anyway so I had to force shut down and restart my MacBook, which is never a nice thing to do.

This morning when I started re-editing, the whole project has just gone from the project library. The Event with all the clips remains, but sadly not my project.

In Finder, my file still remains:
141i7fd.png

...but it doesn't like being opened:
20ksj83.png

...and then when I try opening any of the backups, I just get a solid state of this progress bar, which, after hours of waiting... does nothing. Eventually crashes FCPX.
1zhwrs.png

So guys, is there anything I can do to potentially save this? Many thanks for any tips in advance.

TOMIMOT

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Canada
Damn that sucks sorry it happened to you. From my knowledge I do believe you lost everything unless you backed up your Mac recently, try using time machine?

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
Damn that sucks sorry it happened to you. From my knowledge I do believe you lost everything unless you backed up your Mac recently, try using time machine?

Thanks for the response man, really appreciate it.

Unfortunately I think you might be right. Sadly no there isn't any Time Machine backup for this laptop :(

osx-addict

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
This is exactly why I started using Crashplan more than a year ago.. I kept telling myself that I'd buy some decent backup software + hardware to make it seamless but in the end decided that I'd never get off my rear-end to both pony up the $$ to make it happen nor getting the actual time to do the requisite homework & associated time investment. So, I bought a 2 year Crashplan package and it's been backing things up since (yes, encrypted with their highest level of encryption)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.