Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I realize this phone is really big but I seriously want it. Before you roll your eyes and laugh keep in mind it's only a .5" taller and .2" wider than a Galaxy Note II. Depth wise they are nearly identical.

Even though I have small adult male hands I can use the Note II pretty much one handed (except for the upper left corner, which I can't reach with one hand). I would be willing to sacrifice even more one handed operations simply to get this size screen in my pocket. (Yes I think it would fit.)

Problem is that this phone (and it's smaller 5" brother the D2) will most likely not be available officially in America. My only hope is that it will hit Europe officially. Not idea if that will happen.

I want a larger IPS screen so the Note II is not a possiblity. A 5" iPhone would be great but who knows if/when that will ever happen. I like my iPhone 5 a great deal but definitely want something 5" or larger. Yes, I will demo the Xperia Z and ZL as soon as possible.

huawei-mate-pictures-hands-on-0.jpg

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I realize this phone is really big but I seriously want it. Before you roll your eyes and laugh keep in mind it's only a .5" taller and .2" wider than a Galaxy Note II. Depth wise they are nearly identical.

Even though I have small adult male hands I can use the Note II pretty much one handed (except for the upper left corner, which I can't reach with one hand). I would be willing to sacrifice even more one handed operations simply to get this size screen in my pocket. (Yes I think it would fit.)

Problem is that this phone (and it's smaller 5" brother the D2) will most likely not be available officially in America. My only hope is that it will hit Europe officially. Not idea if that will happen.

I want a larger IPS screen so the Note II is not a possiblity. A 5" iPhone would be great but who knows if/when that will ever happen. I like my iPhone 5 a great deal but definitely want something 5" or larger. Yes, I will demo the Xperia Z and ZL as soon as possible.

This screen size fetish is really getting out of hand....

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Not sure why they made the 6.1" screen 720p and their Ascend D 5" screen 1080p..

Yeah that is puzzling. I'm going to wait for the Note 3 which I expect to have 1080p resolution at 6.3 inches. And I hope Samsung uses AMOLED because it is superior to LCD for vivid colors.

On another note, the Ascend Mate actually has more battery mah per unit screen area than the Note 2 so it should have great battery life.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Jesus!!!:eek: I don't think my jeans pocket opening is that wide. Stop the madness!!!!

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Jesus!!!:eek: I don't think my jeans pocket opening is that wide. Stop the madness!!!!

Keep it going!

Ive never seen such a large number of single minded people in my life.

Now that is a phone you need two hands to use, and is approaching the tablet space. I wouldnt want one to be a phone, but make me a tablet that size please.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
Huawei I would be worried about this Brand, I've never came across a Huawei Device that functioned Properly Always Laggy, Buggy, Just Awful

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Wow these phablets are crawling out of the woodwork aren't they. Just like every OEM has a version of a Windows or Android tablet and they all look the same. Everyone (sans Apple) is trying to outdo each other with screen size. When does the madness stop?

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Wow these phablets are crawling out of the woodwork aren't they. Just like every OEM has a version of a Windows or Android tablet and they all look the same. Everyone (sans Apple) is trying to outdo each other with screen size. When does the madness stop?

I think the success of the Note proved their is a strong market for a smartphone with a screen that is 5.3" or larger. This isn't madness. I welcome these devices. I want a very large IPS display smartphone in the near future.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Huawei I would be worried about this Brand, I've never came across a Huawei Device that functioned Properly Always Laggy, Buggy, Just Awful

I would agree with you but "laggy" "buggy" and "just awful" are what I hear about EVERY device that's not an "I" device. Those three words have lost credibility.

Apple is trying to outdo each other with screen size, they are just . . . . . lagging . . . . :D behind.

I think the success of the Note proved their is a strong market for a smartphone with a screen that is 5.3" or larger. This isn't madness. I welcome these devices. I want a very large IPS display smartphone in the near future.

Truth for me is, I find the Note 2 and soon to be iPad Mini or equivalent smaller tablet to be the perfect combo. Most times, I pick up my phone over my iPad. Give me a tablet that size with a higher res screen and I will be good.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
This is a good video comparing the Mate to the Note II.

That video says that the Ascend Mate only has 8 GB of internal memory, which I don't think is accurate (I don't trust someone walking around CES to give accurate information and there is no either site confirming this). I've also seen other sites mis-stating the Ascend Mate as only having 768 of RAM, which is ridiculous (it actually has 2GB). You would think tech journalists would double check glaring errors like this for a flagship phone.

There is also uncertainty as to whether Huawei will release this phone for sale in North America because of the carrier monopolies. It will be for sale in China, though.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I personally am not interested, but thankfully Android is a world full of options. It's not like they're forcing one "perfect" size onto everybody. :cough:

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
How things have changed since the initial lulz at the first Galaxy Note.

Looks like the "Phablet" (eugh) is here to stay.....

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
That video says that the Ascend Mate only has 8 GB of internal memory, which I don't think is accurate (I don't trust someone walking around CES to give accurate information and there is no either site confirming this). I've also seen other sites mis-stating the Ascend Mate as only having 768 of RAM, which is ridiculous (it actually has 2GB). You would think tech journalists would double check glaring errors like this for a flagship phone.

There is also uncertainty as to whether Huawei will release this phone for sale in North America because of the carrier monopolies. It will be for sale in China, though.

I wouldn't sweat him too much. He's trying his best with very limited info. All these hands-on vids of the Mate are very rough. The official Mate page makes no mention of internal storage. We should know soon enough.

I doubt this phone will be officially released in North America. I'm guessing Europe will get it which means North Americans would have to purchase it unlocked. Expansys already has a page up for it so I'm thinking it's only a matter of time.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I personally am not interested, but thankfully Android is a world full of options. It's not like they're forcing one "perfect" size onto everybody. :cough:

Last I checked, Apple didn't force you to buy Apple.

I have lots of Apple devices, yet I'm apparently free to buy an N4 :eek:

Please don't let Mr. Cook find out....:p

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Last I checked, Apple didn't force you to buy Apple.

I have lots of Apple devices, yet I'm apparently free to buy an N4 :eek:

Please don't let Mr. Cook find out....:p

If people want an iOS smartphone, there are very limited options in screen size, and no option if you want the latest hardware.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
If people want an iOS smartphone, there are very limited options in screen size, and no option if you want the latest hardware.

Ya, but why would anyone want that limited boring OS on their smartphone? ;)

I'm just playing with you....I know what you mean. And at the same time, I'm desperately hoping Apple doesn't get sucked into this pissing contest of ever increasing phone size and muck up the waters.

If Apple were to release a 4" iPhone and a 4.5"-ish one, I'd be fine with that. Keep the colors away from the iphones and for the love of all that is holy PLEASE stay away from 5"+......

The 10-20 million people with notes can keep buying notes.....the other 100s of millions of people who buy other smartphones can do with those two options...

I personally think 4.3" - 4.7" is the sweet spot. Not to say I don't love my iP5 - what it lacks in size, it makes up for in display and build quality.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
I would love to see "Smilin' Bob" from the Enzyte commercials be the spokesman for this phone!

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland

I'm just playing with you....I know what you mean. And at the same time, I'm desperately hoping Apple doesn't get sucked into this pissing contest of ever increasing phone size and muck up the waters.

If Apple were to release a 4" iPhone and a 4.5"-ish one, I'd be fine with that. Keep the colors away from the iphones and for the love of all that is holy PLEASE stay away from 5"+......

The 10-20 million people with notes can keep buying notes.....the other 100s of millions of people who buy other smartphones can do with those two options...

I personally think 4.3" - 4.7" is the sweet spot. Not to say I don't love my iP5 - what it lacks in size, it makes up for in display and build quality.

Why don't you want different coloured iPhones? It's not going to stop you buying your iPhone in black or white is it?

It truly puzzles me why some people seem against other people having choice that doesn't affect their own.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

At this point I really don't see Apple even competing in terms of software and services let alone hardware. I know some may want a 4.3"-4.7" iPhone and some that want a 5"+ iPhone but seeing that iOS has a hard time implementing features that are standard on many 4" phones it would just go to waste on something as production heavy as a Note 2.

And as far as most are concerned, Apple would do good giving users phones with more than just last year's and this year's screen sizes. A 4.3" and a 5.3" phone would be wonderful. You don't have to buy the big one, leave that for folks that don't want to buy two or three devices.

Why don't you want different coloured iPhones? It's not going to stop you buying your iPhone in black or white is it?

It truly puzzles me why some people seem against other people having choice that doesn't affect their own.

Beats me, but I am there with you. It seems Apple should just make a 13" Air, a 15" MBP, and a 27" iMac, anything else would be too small or too big or too unnecessary.

I agree about colors though, keep it at two at the most. Get a case if you want purple or green. I am talking about choice in screen size.

Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Because I want all of those people who want a colored iPhone to be miserable. ;)

Nah I mean they already have enough trouble as it is making enough to keep up with demand. You think adding a bunch of colors would help that?

*Walks into Best Buy (or whatever store you buy your phone at)*

"Hi, I'd like to purchase a 32GB black iPhone 6 please."

"Sorry, we only received a certain number and we're out of black. We have this lovely magenta iPhone though! Or would you rather have lime green? How about a cyan one? We have plenty of each..."

"Ya, because there's a few yahoos and those yahoo's mothers and sisters who want this...."

This is what cases, wraps, ghost armor, etc. is for.....

----------

At this point I really don't see Apple even competing in terms of software and services let alone hardware. I know some may want a 4.3"-4.7" iPhone and some that want a 5"+ iPhone but seeing that iOS has a hard time implementing features that are standard on many 4" phones it would just go to waste on something as production heavy as a Note 2.

And as far as most are concerned, Apple would do good giving users phones with more than just last year's and this year's screen sizes. A 4.3" and a 5.3" phone would be wonderful. You don't have to buy the big one, leave that for folks that don't want to buy two or three devices.

I find it funny that something as subjective as screen size has somehow become a "feature" that causes Apple's hardware to be behind the times....

"Last year's and this year's screen sizes"? That would imply that the 5" GSIV would be an advancement, even if all of its other specs remained equal to the GS3.....I just don't see it that way.

Screen size is a choice/opinion. NOT a feature where bigger = more advanced/better. If anything, the smaller size of the iPhone means infinitely more advancement as they can pack better battery life, equivalent CPU performance, better GPU performance AND one of the best mobile displays on the market into a smaller footprint....

I understand people feeling bored with iOS or saying its becoming stale - but please....Apple still rules hardware/quality-wise and no amount of added inches to the Galaxy line would change that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.