Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RonMac1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
hello friends , i want to buy a new imac 27 late 2012 .
i dont sure which CPU take .

i use that computer just for 1 thing . just for this .

Music Production On Logic .
I Even dont connect him for the internet.

I buy the computer with 1TB Fusion Drive + 32GB RAM ( install by myself )

I5 2.9 OR I7 3.4 .

now i have money for the I5 2.9 , if i want money for the I7 i need work more 2 weeks , its ok .

but i need take I7 or i can work with I5 ?

thanks !! :)

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
hello friends , i want to buy a new imac 27 late 2012 .

i use that computer just for 1 thing . just for this .

Music Production On Logic .
I Even dont connect him for the internet.

I buy the computer with 1TB Fusion Drive + 32GB RAM ( install by myself )

I5 2.9 OR I7 3.4 .

now i have money for the I5 2.9 , if i want money for the I7 i need work more 2 weeks , its ok .

but i need take I7 or i can work with I5 ?

thanks !! :)

Both are perfectly acceptable (everything you do is designed to work on far less specs). It's really up to you how long you desire to keep the system. If you're going to replace in 2-3 years, get the 2.9, but if you plan to keep it for 4-5+ years, max it out.

RonMac1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Both are perfectly acceptable (everything you do is designed to work on far less specs). It's really up to you how long you desire to keep the system. If you're going to replace in 2-3 years, get the 2.9, but if you plan to keep it for 4-5+ years, max it out.

Thanks Friend , but in work , the i7 will be faster than the i5 ?

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Thanks Friend , but in work , the i7 will be faster than the i5 ?

Not really.. for your tasks unlikely. If you're doing video rendering it'll be (slightly) faster... You'll always pay a premium for the max configuration processor, hence why I asked how long you'll keep it, because that'd be the determining factor for me.

RonMac1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Not really.. for your tasks unlikely. If you're doing video rendering it'll be (slightly) faster... You'll always pay a premium for the max configuration processor, hence why I asked how long you'll keep it, because that'd be the determining factor for me.

If you use apps that use all cores would be a lot faster

friends , I write .

i not use nothing .

Just Logic , not video , even not internet

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Just Logic , not video , even not internet
Since Apple Logic can use up to 8 cores of Mac, you are better off to work 2 more weeks to get the i7 3.4 version. It is almost 40% faster than the i5 2.9 model in Geekbench 32-bit test, and 34% faster in 64-bit test.

ombudsman

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
The i5 will more than suit your needs

Not necessarily. As processing power grows, so do the demands of the latest plugins. Analog circuit emulations, convolution DSP, some of the heavier algorithmic reverbs, etc are all computationally expensive, and a producer or audio engineer working in the box might have many instances of these plugins in a project. If that describes your workflow, then having 8 cores to spread the load will make a difference. More CPU power lets you set a lower sample buffer in Logic, which translates to lower audio latency.

But this might not describe your workflow. If you're just using the instruments and effects that come with Logic (and that's fine, they're mostly great), then the i5 will suit your needs.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
If anyone opts for the GTX 680MX, it's best to also get the 3.4GHz i7 for optimum performance match with the GPU. The desktop GTX 680 is such a powerful GPU that even overclocked i7-3980x Extreme CPUs barely feed it to its full capabilities. The coming Ivy Bridge i7-3990x should be a better match.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
If anyone opts for the GTX 680MX, it's best to also get the 3.4GHz i7 for optimum performance match with the GPU. The desktop GTX 680 is such a powerful GPU that even overclocked i7-3980x Extreme CPUs barely feed it to its full capabilities. The coming Ivy Bridge i7-3990x should be a better match.

Extreme processor not likely for the springtime iMac refresh as the TDP is probably too high.

The May refresh probably brings a slight bump in CPU spec across the board and a switch to Haswell. It really won't make a huge impact on performance. I think next big bump will probably be in 12 months or so.

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Scotland, land of the haggis
Not necessarily. As processing power grows, so do the demands of the latest plugins. Analog circuit emulations, convolution DSP, some of the heavier algorithmic reverbs, etc are all computationally expensive, and a producer or audio engineer working in the box might have many instances of these plugins in a project. If that describes your workflow, then having 8 cores to spread the load will make a difference. More CPU power lets you set a lower sample buffer in Logic, which translates to lower audio latency.

But this might not describe your workflow. If you're just using the instruments and effects that come with Logic (and that's fine, they're mostly great), then the i5 will suit your needs.

Tbf I constantly watch my CPU buffer led on logic, and despite me using external drum patterns as well as my pod txt live board making sometimes up to 10-12 tracks at a time, I've never seen the led over 50%

I can only go by my own experiences on logic through my own music production. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.