Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:36 PM   #1
Makosuke
macrumors 603

Mountain Lion Server causing Adobe Acrobat and Reader to crash on viewed PDFs

Last weekend I did a clean install of 10.8 with Server on my office's Mini Server, replacing 10.6 Server. The Mac clients have been fine, but I also have a couple of Windows 7 users, one of whom has been having serious issues.

The one that has me really baffled is with viewing large PDFs directly off the server.

If you open a large PDF with Acrobat Pro X or Adobe Reader XI and spend a while scrolling around it, the document will eventually either start showing blank white pages, Acrobat will give a generic "an I/O error occurred" message, the program will crash outright, or some combination of the three. How long and how much scrolling it takes can vary from a few seconds to a few minutes.

It happens with any large document (possibly small ones, too, but they aren't open long enough to show it), the same documents work just fine when viewed directly off the local hard drive, and this problem was NOT happening with a 10.6 server, so it has something to do with Apple's new in-house SMB implementation. (And I'd rather not install Samba if I can help it.)

What the heck is going on here?

Can somebody else running a Mountain Lion Server with a Windows 7 client try this? (Open a long PDF and scrub up and down for a minute or two.)
Makosuke is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking