Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Great move for consumers and devs. Now, let's add the ability to submit videos of apps in action or app trailers (with the same review process).

Boost and promote good devs, the rest will follow.

They should develop some code based way to do all that - screenshots and yeah maybe video snippets. You want this screen to be available on the app store, make the code calls. If the app gets updated, that screenshot or video would update via a code cascade of whatever visual assets would be onscreen at that time.

That way it's 100% verified that it is an accurate screenshot, not doctored, not a poster. If a company wants to add captions or metadata to the images/videos, they can do that. But absolutely forbid dorky posters and require actual screens.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
I'm sure this is the last thing Apple wants because they'll loose money, but if Apple really cared about the customer, they should make all sales pending a grace period (24 to 48 hours) where if you remove the app in that time frame, there is no charge.

If you install an app, remove it within the grace period then re-install it, you're immediately charged (like the store currently does)

It certainly would make scams like this less likely to happen.

That's no good because if you remove an app that you installed it could still be on your computer so would still have the option to side load the app back on your device.

Even when Apple refunds someone for an app they purchased now the app still remains on the persons device and they can still use it.

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
This in my opinion is not a good idea. Yes it will cut down on scams, but it will also hurt legitimate developers who do a major upgrade to their app, such as completely changing the gui.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
These apps were being reviewed.

The devs were changing the screen shots after they were reviewed.

OK OK - I get it (I admit, I skimmed through the original article). Still, why would Apple allow the devs to make changes to anything (app/revision description, screenshots) without further scrutiny? This is a failure of the app review process. It's good that Apple is getting around to fixing it

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
This in my opinion is not a good idea. Yes it will cut down on scams, but it will also hurt legitimate developers who do a major upgrade to their app, such as completely changing the gui.

They said right in the article you can change the pics when you release an update.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

does not effect devs. Submit an update for the app with the pictures. Plan and simple. It has to go threw the review process. I had your first though when I first read this but then saw how they were doing it and am 100% completely fine with it.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
OK OK - I get it (I admit, I skimmed through the original article). Still, why would Apple allow the devs to make changes to anything (app/revision description, screenshots) without further scrutiny?

Because they assumed that all people by their nature a good and honest. And as they are being proven wrong they are changing the rules and 'punishing' everyone

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada

They need to submit a new binary for them to be allowed to change the screenshots.

soundr

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
Not really -- it's merely a reaction to a problem caused by an inadequate app review process. Apps like this would have never been allowed into the App store if Apple reviewers actually bothered to test them.

Did you read the article? Developers were submitting apps with one set of pictures and then changing them out - after they were approved.

Edit: I see that others pointed this out already.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
I'm an iOS developer (god, I hate calling myself that), and this changes absolutely nothing on my end.

If you are doing your job as a developer, then you're going to have your screenshots, icons, and app description ready to roll the moment you upload your production binary.

The only people this effects are:

1) Scammers who try to pull a fast one and change the app icon, screenshots, and app description AFTER being approved but BEFORE being placed on sale

2) Lazy developers who didn't check their screenshots before uploading or were in such a rush to get something on the store that they didn't bother to make proper screenshots beforehand

You can still change the screenshots when you submit an application update. Note that, formerly, you couldn't change the iTunes icon unless you submitted an update- this caveat has simply been extended to include the screenshots as well.

IMHO; this is the way it should have been. I have never- not once- had to chance a screenshot outside of an application update (due to GUI changes). Once again, this does not affect legitimate developers who are doing their jobs.

-SC

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Not really -- it's merely a reaction to a problem caused by an inadequate app review process. Apps like this would have never been allowed into the App store if Apple reviewers actually bothered to test them.

Why? It's a gaming app that charges money. Just a regular app. Why would't Apple allow it? The screenshots are uploaded after the app passed reviewers; they are the stuff that's causing the stupid problem.

Nice move Apple!!

Edit: I can see others already pointed this out. But still... people need to read more carefully before commenting...

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
I must admit that I don't quite get the scam behind the whole thing .. I mean wouldn't one expect people to pretty quickly find out that they were scammed and report the incident? Guessing it takes Apple a while to process and actually pay out the money to the devs, shouldn't Apple be well able to stop the payments in time and the dev gets actually nothing?

Well .. in any case .. seems like a good idea regardless.

T.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
I'm an iOS developer (god, I hate calling myself that), and this changes absolutely nothing on my end.

If you are doing your job as a developer, then you're going to have your screenshots, icons, and app description ready to roll the moment you upload your production binary.

The only people this effects are:

1) Scammers who try to pull a fast one and change the app icon, screenshots, and app description AFTER being approved but BEFORE being placed on sale

2) Lazy developers who didn't check their screenshots before uploading or were in such a rush to get something on the store that they didn't bother to make proper screenshots beforehand

You can still change the screenshots when you submit an application update. Note that, formerly, you couldn't change the iTunes icon unless you submitted an update- this caveat has simply been extended to include the screenshots as well.

IMHO; this is the way it should have been. I have never- not once- had to chance a screenshot outside of an application update (due to GUI changes). Once again, this does not affect legitimate developers who are doing their jobs.

-SC

You're right. It shouldn't. Apple is just after the scammers.

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
I noticed the ability of changing screenshots after acceptance. For my application, this was a lucky moment as I found out that I accidentally used old screenshots in one of the localizations.

I was quite surprised that changing the screenshots was possible because I immediately saw the possibility on how this could be misused. I did not misused it but nor did I stumble upon any other misuse.

Well, must be more careful in the future when submitting apps.

condorian

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2009
Good move from Apple. Though it still has some way to go ensure proper legitimate apps are available on the appstore. E.g. the last couple of weeks on the Greek App Store, there is a an app that allows you to crack/get the key for the wifi router supplied by various ISPs in Greece. I would thinking even though it has a disclaimer that this is an illegal app. https://itunes.apple.com/gr/app/greek-wifi-unlocker/id582941374?mt=8

c

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
Well - Apple Could have - Should have simply tested All Apps for FK Sakes.

I usually don't bitch - but there's a lot of crap Apple never tests.
Developers have to go through most of the steps anyway -
removing the soak cycle allows BS for the final outcome.

There should not be one App on Apples site not tested fully -
No App should exist that doesn't rank at least 4 out of 5 out of their Entity - Not Ours.
Amazon is - and relies on customer reviews.
Otherwise they couldn't care less what you do or say.
Hmm - that profile seems to fit here as well.

If Apple is on our desk - the nonsense should already be vetted.
Shouldn't Matter what we choose from the Store.

Not holding my breath regardless - for Fully Approved Apps -
We Do most of the Laundry for them by default.
6 Years & huge investment now - Still childish Tactics. We're only 5 to them.
Always a dark side just out of view - For the Investor Tactic.

Look what We have - Syndrome. MY sandbox is biGGer.

Take their Note Pad on Mobile devices - Forget About It.
Not one effort was made to make sure a very simple process was made fool proof.
4 copies of everything - 50 Note Titles - every 4th note is the same in the list - and no way to know who's who out of the 4 that was updated the last - or which device accessed the Sync - or its origin.

Go to Apps Store - Not one Apple note Pad app related - 100% paid 3rd party nonsense.
Calendar? - even the Aztecs got it fool proof with rocks.

Almost makes it all an even trade off - not having anti virus software interrupting our day every 13 seconds.
Funny - that was the main reason I threw in the towel.

Last edited:

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
Well - Apple Could have - Should have simply tested All Apps for FK Sakes.

I usually don't bitch - but there's a lot of crap Apple never tests.
Developers have to go through most of the steps anyway -
removing the soak cycle allows BS for the final outcome.

There should not be one App on Apples site not tested fully -
No App should exist that doesn't rank at least 4 out of 5 out of their Entity - Not Ours.
Amazon is - and relies on customer reviews.
Otherwise they couldn't care less what you do or say.
Hmm - that profile seems to fit here as well.

If Apple is on our desk - the nonsense should already be vetted.
Shouldn't Matter what we choose from the Store.

Not holding my breath regardless - for Fully Approved Apps -
We Do most of the Laundry for them by default.
6 Years & huge investment now - Still childish Tactics. We're only 5 to them.
Always a dark side just out of view - For the Investor Tactic.

Look what We have - Syndrome. MY sandbox is biGGer.

Take their Note Pad on Mobile devices - Forget About It.
Not one effort was made to make sure a very simple process was made fool proof.
4 copies of everything - 50 Note Titles - every 4th note is the same in the list - and no way to know who's who out of the 4 that was updated the last - or which device accessed the Sync - or its origin.

Go to Apps Store - Not one Apple note Pad app related - 100% paid 3rd party nonsense.
Calendar? - even the Aztecs got it fool proof with rocks.

Almost makes it all an even trade off - not having anti virus software interrupting our day every 13 seconds.
Funny - that was the main reason I through in the towel.

Dude .. take a minute, sort your thoughts and then write them down .. I didn't understand a word of what you wrote. No offense.

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
Dude .. take a minute, sort your thoughts and then write them down .. I didn't understand a word of what you wrote. No offense.
Not A problem -
Just answer each paragraph - was the intention as done.

Really - you've loaded the first app you came across from App Store?
Now wish you hadn't.

One post - 5 topics - a full meal deal.
10-12K is sitting on my desk is brushed aluminum.
No warped black plastic from HP in view here.

Last edited:

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
This at least has the benefit of someone not downloading a ton of useless apps if they borrow your phone without your knowledge.

That's what a passcode is for. I'm tempted to say that Apple make you enter your password for free apps so that people that only buy free apps don't forget their password.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
OK OK - I get it (I admit, I skimmed through the original article). Still, why would Apple allow the devs to make changes to anything (app/revision description, screenshots) without further scrutiny? This is a failure of the app review process. It's good that Apple is getting around to fixing it

There's the assumption that developers are honest. Not necessary clueful, but honest. The review process should filter out the clueless ones, and can filter out hacking attacks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.