Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I posted a couple weeks ago about this, could not find this thread...anyway, now I notice it makes a difference what side of the button I press...left works, right doesn't...so odd...4 years of iPhones and no trouble with any buttons, get the iPhone 5 in Sept., just shy of 2 months later the power/sleep button is malfunctioning.:confused:

I'll be going to the Apple store as soon as I can make the trip. But, I have zagg invisible shield on my front & back :(

Noctis

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2009
Toronto, ON
I posted a couple weeks ago about this, could not find this thread...anyway, now I notice it makes a difference what side of the button I press...left works, right doesn't...so odd...4 years of iPhones and no trouble with any buttons, get the iPhone 5 in Sept., just shy of 2 months later the power/sleep button is malfunctioning.:confused:

I'll be going to the Apple store as soon as I can make the trip. But, I have zagg invisible shield on my front & back :(

Let me know how it goes for you. It's kind of hard for me to demonstrate the problem because it's intermittent. Sometimes it's horrible and sometimes it'll go 10 presses without a fault. But honestly, I expect better from Apple. I shouldn't have to be worrying about this only 4 months into ownership. My iPhone 4 sleep/wake button was solid for the 2 years that I owned it.

Noctis

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2009
Toronto, ON
Replaced!

Just thought I'd update that I got my iPhone 5 replaced at the Apple Store. Luckily the genius was able to reproduce my issue after several presses. Apparently there is no way to fix the button so they have to issue a replacement. A good piece of advice is to tell them to hold it the way you hold it when using it. For example, if you tend to press the sleep/wake with your left hand it's more likely to fail because it presses nearer to the left side of the button. The left side seems to be the culprit. He actually had a good streak of proper presses until he swapped the phone from his right hand to his left hand.

PeckhamBog

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
London
I went to the Coventry Garden store yesterday.

The genius (Greg Lamb) I had an appointment with replicated the fault immediately. He'd come across it before and knew that although some grips can work, it is not satisfactory. He said he'd take it out the back and see if anything could be done with it but already had put 'swap' on the work authorisation agreement (on his iPad). Hand set swapped for a new one.

Had done an iCloud back up that morning so everything hunky dory, except I wonder why I have so many apps to be reinstalled (that I have but don't use)! Also a number wanted passwords which is a bit taxing on my ageing organic memory.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I went to the apple store and described the issue and I got a replacement iPhone 5 within minutes of seeing the "genius". He said some iPhone 5s & 4Ss have had sleep/pwr button problems.

I'm guessing the phone they took from me will get fixed, refurbished and sent to AT&T as they sell refurbs only online.

IDK if it's as easy if you have a diff. carrier.

Oriamir

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
Hi everyone
I really really disappointed and I really dont know what to do.
I bought my iPhone 5 in novmber12 in dirty- Italy. I have all receipts on me.
So I live in Israel and after 2 months of using iPhone 5 the power button start done problems. I check it and I see some thing strange- the button work just then I click on his left side or click hard in the middle and sometimes its not work also in left side .. just nothing!!When I click on right or in the middle weak this is not work also if I click 100 times.
I read in the internet a lot of people in the world that has this problem and they take their phone to apple store And get a new one in 10 minutes.
But my problem is that in Israel there is not have apple store and any one can't give me my 1 year warranty!
I maybe could be in Europe in july or August but I don't sure that apple still give me warrenty and it's really annoyed me!!

Any one can give me an advice or what can I do maybe? I am really sad.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Well, after 4 months my button failed. :mad:
It only works when I press it on the left side.
Orange Store (My Carrier, I order the phone from them), here I come !
The phone was dropped 2 times, a couple of months ago, on the carpet from about 0.5 m.

iphonedude513

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
Recently I've been having a problem with my iPhone 5 power button.

It has become unresponsive when I press it. Sometimes it takes two to three presses on the button before the screen turns on/off

The strange thing that I noticed was that if I press to the right of the power button it always fails but works if I press on the left side.
Not sure if I'm making myself clear.

Is anybody else having problems with the iPhone 5 power button?

Me too, I have exactly the same problem as you have

midgat0

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2013
I have the same problem now, only it doesn't matter which side I press the button, it won't work. Maybe 1 out of every 100 tries. For people who have gotten replacements at the Apple store, are they new units or are they giving you refurbs. I have heard that most likely you will only ever get a refurb.

PeckhamBog

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
London
I have the same problem now, only it doesn't matter which side I press the button, it won't work. Maybe 1 out of every 100 tries. For people who have gotten replacements at the Apple store, are they new units or are they giving you refurbs. I have heard that most likely you will only ever get a refurb.

I received a brand new 5 as a swap replacement from Covent Garden, London in January.

bbb543

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
has anybody gotten a replacement from the carrier? My power button only works on the left side and its working less and less each day it seems.

There isn't an Apple store in my town, so just wondering if I could save a trip by just going into the Sprint store.

jimmut

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2013
Just called and getting second replacement for this issue

Well got my iphone 5 when it first came out on Verizon..within a few months the lock button issue came up..called and they sent me a replacement...here I am a few more months and the replacement has same issue..again called and they are sending me another replacement. Don't have much faith it will last more than a few months either. Wonder if people having this issue the most actually use the lock button. I mean I am hitting mine multiple times a day like every time after I check something and before I put it in my pocket..I mean its there to use right? This sucks...come on Apple.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Well got my iphone 5 when it first came out on Verizon..within a few months the lock button issue came up..called and they sent me a replacement...here I am a few more months and the replacement has same issue..again called and they are sending me another replacement. Don't have much faith it will last more than a few months either. Wonder if people having this issue the most actually use the lock button. I mean I am hitting mine multiple times a day like every time after I check something and before I put it in my pocket..I mean its there to use right? This sucks...come on Apple.

Similar use.
Similar life.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
iPhone 5 power button problem

has anybody gotten a replacement from the carrier? My power button only works on the left side and its working less and less each day it seems.

There isn't an Apple store in my town, so just wondering if I could save a trip by just going into the Sprint store.

Yep. My Carrier gave me a replacement iPhone 5
I live in Romania and every thing went fine so I don't think you will have problems in the U.S. :)
I waited about 4 days because they didn't have any replacement units in stock.

MathijsDelva

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2008
I'm having the same problem but unfortunately i dropped my iphone and i think that's what causing it. The problem is, you can clearly see a dent and some scratches around and on the power button.. Do you think they'll still give me a replacment? Since it's clearly my 'own' fault.. :s

padam

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2011
iPhone5 Button Problem

Took it to apple...they said they cannot repair it and gave me a replacement!! :):):apple::apple:

1st disappointment with an apple product....never had to replace anything else previously....nonetheless good service....

It had minor chips on the edge but they replaced it.....put a cover on it from the moment I got it....should be fine now....hope so...

chelidon

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
Same issue, went into the Cambridge Apple Store last Monday, they immediately gave me a new phone, no questions asked. Not thrilled that the button failed, but this is my 4th iPhone, and the first hardware problem, ever. The Apple Store experience was exemplary, as usual - as my English friend who was with me at the time would say, full marks.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Took it to apple...they said they cannot repair it and gave me a replacement!! :):):apple::apple:

1st disappointment with an apple product....never had to replace anything else previously....nonetheless good service....

It had minor chips on the edge but they replaced it.....put a cover on it from the moment I got it....should be fine now....hope so...

Yes that's what they do. Instead of repairing they give you a new Phone. Not off the shelf, but a refurb that is as good as your old phone.

----------

Or never mind. I missed your smileys.

Dully

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2013
Having the exact same problem and Im gonna go get it replaced.

Was just wondering if anyone has tried to be a bit cheeky and ask for a colour change?

I have a black one at the moment and think id much rather switch it to a white one!

kvee

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2010
I have recently started suffering from this problem. Right side of button does nothing. Left side turns on and off. Having found this thread with common problems I am going to get Apple to provide a replacement.

egraphixstudios

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
I had the same issue for last 3 weeks. Setup a apple meeting at bullring store last week. Went in today- took a while to get served.

But the chap looked at it and said yeah no probs- i will swap it over.

Brand new on out of the box, signed on his ipad and out. 10mins. Brill service.

And the best thing about it, is that the new iphone 5 has 6.1.2 so I can still jailbreak...

win win !

pokaprophet

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2012
Got this problem. Only works on left side. Problem is I'm jailbroken and a new phone will prob have 6.1.3 installed which I can't jailbreak. I've used Activator jailbreak tweak to enable me to lock my screen with a 3 finger pinch and will use this problem to get a new handset for max resale value when I want a new phone.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I'm jailbroken and a new phone will prob have 6.1.3 installed which I can't jailbreak. I've used Activator jailbreak tweak to enable me to lock my screen with a 3 finger pinch and will use this problem to get a new handset for max resale value when I want a new phone.

all of the recent replacement phones ive seen people post here have all had 6.1.2 on it.

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
all of the recent replacement phones ive seen people post here have all had 6.1.2 on it.

i had 3 months old white iphone 5 16gb but it had light leak. Yesterday got iphone5 as replacement 2013 april manufactor date with 6.1.3 software. However it had problems with network- no service. So went back to apple store and they will give tommorow or monday another replacement.... :/

Happyghosts

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2013
Recently I've been having a problem with my iPhone 5 power button.

It has become unresponsive when I press it. Sometimes it takes two to three presses on the button before the screen turns on/off

The strange thing that I noticed was that if I press to the right of the power button it always fails but works if I press on the left side.
Not sure if I'm making myself clear.

Is anybody else having problems with the iPhone 5 power button?

are u still having the problem?? does it get worse???

----------

Guys i have the same problem left side works bu right side doesnt.... does it get worse???

----------

I am having the same problem with the power button. Pressing the power button does not work at all but if I press the left side of the power button (sometimes I have to press is 3-4 times) it will final work.

do u still have the problem?? does it get worse??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.