Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
Here is a quick and easy mod I did to get my old Windows 7 PC to look like a Mac running OSX 10.3 Panther.

1) Find a high res OSX 10.3 wallpaper (Search that in Google images and press full size image)

2) Go to http://www.rocketdock.com/download and press download

3) Drag whatever apps you want onto the dock (Some don't work) and change the dock settings how you want.

4) Hide desktop icons and move the taskbar to the top of the screen

Attachments

• IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 471
Last edited:

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
Here is a quick and easy mod I did to get my old Windows 7 PC to look like a Mac running OSX 10.3 Panther.

1) Find a high res OSX 10.3 wallpaper (Search that in Google images and press full size image)

2) Go to http://www.rocketdock.com/download and press download

3) Drag whatever apps you want onto the dock (Some don't work) and change the dock settings how you want.

Oh yeah the Rocketdock, I remember this, I used back in college haha

Looks good thou

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

2) Go to www.rocketdock.com/download and press download

There are some mods out there that will make Windows look like Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion. Most of them are complete install packages and include everything you need (all the separate apps in one installer).

Just do a Google search for Windows OSX+theme.

Such as…

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
There are some mods out there that will make Windows look like Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion. Most of them are complete install packages and include everything you need (all the separate apps in one installer).

Just do a Google search for Windows OSX+theme.

Such as…

It just ain't the same!

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
I used to do things like this back in the Windows XP days, but in addition to the already crawling slow Windows OS, the dock software, etc. just bogged things down unusably. How far we've come, really...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Now mod you Mountain Lion to look like Windows 3.11 ;) :D
Or you can do it in OS9. :D

Scroll down the page.

If anyone is wondering, this link is to an old OS9 system extension called Kaleidoscope. It allowed you to change the way OS9 looked and was the precursor to Shapeshifter.

If you are using OS9 (anyone reading this) you can still get the extension on this site and download the themes. I have an OS9 theme running on my System 7.5 Mac IIci. I had a few favorites, like BBX Mercury, Rough Draft and one or two of the Dragon Tongue themes. You can tell how popular it was by the sheer number of themes in the archive.

Last edited:

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Or you can do it in OS9. :D

Scroll down the page.

If anyone is wondering, this link is to an old OS9 system extension called Kaleidoscope. It allowed you to change the way OS9 looked and was the precursor to Shapeshifter.

If you are using OS9 (anyone reading this) you can still get the extension on this site and download the themes. I have an OS9 theme running on my System 7.5 Mac IIci. I had a few favorites, like BBX Mercury, Rough Draft and one or two of the Dragon Tongue themes. You can tell how popular it was by the sheer number of themes in the archive.

That is a really awesome find! Will definitely have a look at a few of them. Thanks!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That is a really awesome find! Will definitely have a look at a few of them. Thanks!
LOL! No offense Gotfrey, but I haunted that site from 2001 until 2003. My work Mac then was an OS9 G4 so I had Kaleidoscope and a bunch of other extensions. Too bad Arlo Rose never moved on in to OSX. But Apple was making it impossible for devs then.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
LOL! No offense Gotfrey, but I haunted that site from 2001 until 2003. My work Mac then was an OS9 G4 so I had Kaleidoscope and a bunch of other extensions. Too bad Arlo Rose never moved on in to OSX. But Apple was making it impossible for devs then.

And on the website, there are two dates: 1999 and "long ago". They are almost the same in computer years.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Now mod you Mountain Lion to look like Windows 3.11 ;) :D

3.11 was my first computer to use the internet...ibm 386sx...slowwww...i rem being so excited when i installed a 14.4 modem :) would tell people to email me,and get back a blank look....ah good times

looked like this model

ibm_ps1_20280al98h.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.