Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zem100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
HI all,

I've upgraded to a new MBP Retina and have recently formatted my old MBP ready for sale. I don't have the original install disc but am connected to WiFi and can install the OS no problem.

My question and concern is that it asked for my Apple User ID and password to pull down and install the OS. How will this impact me as I already have the same (latest) OS installed on my new machine?

I.e. am I making a mistake by installing the OS on the old machine under my apple ID? What would you recommend in order to sell the machine with an OS on there?

Thanks in advance for your help.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Buy a copy of snow leopard leopard and install that maybe?

Alternatively, demo the machine with your OS, and tell the buy they'll need to install their own copy if you're paranoid (and wipe it)...

Any idea if apple have a suggestion?

attackment

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2012
Modena
I have the same problem at the moment. I want to sell my 2011 iMac upgraded to Mountain Lion, it came with Lion originally. :confused:

iWaiting

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2012
there is only one choice you should to sell it with the OS that came with it

any other OS is tied to your apple ID not the hardware

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
You could download Mountain Lion, create a USB installer, format the drive again, and install ML from the UBS drive without connecting to wifi or connecting it with your account in any way. It's a bit of a hassle but might be worth it if you don't have the original install disc.

zem100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Any tips on how to install onto the USB stick and make it bootable?:confused:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I.e. am I making a mistake by installing the OS on the old machine under my apple ID? What would you recommend in order to sell the machine with an OS on there?
You have no clue where information on your Apple ID would be left on the system when you give it your Apple ID as part of the installation process. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Any tips on how to install onto the USB stick and make it bootable?:confused:

Just DL the installer app from the app store and quit the installer when it starts. Then use this free app with a 8GB USB key to make your installer.

The downside here is the new buyer will have no way to reinstall the OS if they need to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.