Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stickyfingers85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Hello

Need some advice about home sharing, as only just discovered it!

I live with my parents and both my Dad and I have our own mac's, each with our own itunes account.

I have a lot of itunes movies, and my Dad has zero!

Can i setup home sharing using my itunes account and then transfer all my movies to his mac, even though he uses a different account for the itunes store than I?

Also, its possible I will be going to work in France for 1 year in a few months and will be taking my mac with me. If i transfer all my content to my dad's mac, will it recognise that i'm no longer in the house and stop the content from playing on his mac?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Hello

Need some advice about home sharing, as only just discovered it!

I live with my parents and both my Dad and I have our own mac's, each with our own itunes account.

I have a lot of itunes movies, and my Dad has zero!

Can i setup home sharing using my itunes account and then transfer all my movies to his mac, even though he uses a different account for the itunes store than I?

Also, its possible I will be going to work in France for 1 year in a few months and will be taking my mac with me. If i transfer all my content to my dad's mac, will it recognise that i'm no longer in the house and stop the content from playing on his mac?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

I don't think Home Sharing allows you to copy the content across. It just streams.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Yes, you can copy these movies to your dad's iTunes folder. Use File > Add to Library and then browse to your iTunes folder from his computer. The first time you try and play one of your movies on his computer, iTunes will ask to authorise his computer as one of the 5 computers you can play that movie on. Once his computer is authorised, it should play all of your other movies fine without further authorisation. I have two Apple ID's and I have music on one and some movies on another, but both accounts are authorised on all my Macs.

stickyfingers85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
I don't think Home Sharing allows you to copy the content across. It just streams.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3819#

Taken from above:

"Home Sharing enables you to stream or transfer music, movies, TV shows, apps, and more among up to five authorized computers in your household."

----------

Yes, you can copy these movies to your dad's iTunes folder. Use File > Add to Library and then browse to your iTunes folder from his computer. The first time you try and play one of your movies on his computer, iTunes will ask to authorise his computer as one of the 5 computers you can play that movie on. Once his computer is authorised, it should play all of your other movies fine without further authorisation.

Thanks, but isn't that just authorising my content to play on his device, its not home sharing?

I thought with home sharing it was a complete solution that you could transfer itunes to itunes, but you have to configure home sharing with a single itunes account

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK

Taken from above:

"Home Sharing enables you to stream or transfer music, movies, TV shows, apps, and more among up to five authorized computers in your household."

----------

Thanks, but isn't that just authorising my content to play on his device, its not home sharing?

I thought with home sharing it was a complete solution that you could transfer itunes to itunes, but you have to configure home sharing with a single itunes account

Well home sharing is exactly that - it will only work on the same local network, ie at home. So will be of no use to your dad while you are in France. The only way he will be able to play your movies, is if you allow him to Authorise his computer to play your stuff, and actually copy the files to his computer. Given that it is only one of 5 devices is it really that much of a problem ?

From the same article that you linked above - Apple never said you can transfer movies by home sharing only stream*. Apple do say that to use Home Sharing you need to Authorise your Dad's computer to be able to play your stuff via Home Sharing. I should point out that Authorising the computer does not mean that he needs to change his iTunes Account login details to yours, only that your content needs to be authorised. This means that your Dad can watch your movies, but if he wants to buy his own stuff in iTunes he can use his own account still.

* Correction to the above, you can copy Movies and Music with home sharing enabled. You just need to click the import button at the bottom of the screen. I have just successfully transferred one movie bought with a different Apple ID from one mac to another via Home Sharing.

With Home Sharing, you can stream music and video from one authorized computer to another, or simply drag music between computer libraries.

Last edited:

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia

Taken from above:

----------

It is a complete home sharing feature PROVIDED both macs are authorized to use the Apple ID in which the shared media are associated with.

Understanding that DRM is build into all iTunes media is a first step in understanding home sharing. Apple doesn't allow unauthorized parties to utilize media purchased by someone without explicit consent from the person. Hence by authorizing the second Mac to use your Apple ID, you are directly agreeing that said Mac is authorized to play your media you have purchased.

For home sharing to work, both macs must be sign in using the same Apple ID under the home sharing option. Both macs must also be authorized for that Apple ID. Go to the receiving Mac, and look under the iTunes home sharing at the side bar (you need to enable it from the View option under iTunes 11), and you will see the other Mac. Click on it and browse media for transfer. You can also choose to view contents that are not available in the receiving Mac to facilitate transfer.

Last edited:

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
For home sharing to work, both macs must be sign in using the same Apple ID under the home sharing option. Both macs must also be authorized for that Apple ID. Go to the receiving Mac, and look under the iTunes home sharing at the side bar (you need to enable it from the View option under iTunes 11), and you will see the other Mac. Click on it and browse media for transfer. You can also choose to view contents that are not available in the receiving Mac to facilitate transfer.

Just to clarify, as orpheus is completely correct in what he says, but it easy to get confused with this stuff. You dad can be signed it to his iTunes account under the Store menu, but he can enter your account details under Home Sharing to see your iTunes Library when you are at home and connected to the same network with iTunes open. This means he can see and play your stuff, but he can't purchase anything under your ID.

Trouble is it is a bit of a crappy solution as

1 Your computer has to be a Home.
2.Your computer has to be on.
3.Your copy of iTunes has to be open.

You may as well just copy the movies over unless hard disk space is an issue.

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
Just to clarify, as orpheus is completely correct in what he says, but it easy to get confused with this stuff. You dad can be signed it to his iTunes account under the Store menu, but he can enter your account details under Home Sharing to see your iTunes Library when you are at home and connected to the same network. This means he can see and play your stuff, but he can't purchase anything under your ID.

Correct. There are two separate places to enter your  ID. The general sign in place for media purchases, and the one under home sharing.

Home sharing allows streaming and transfers of media. You don't even need to enable file sharing under system preference.

stickyfingers85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
SO if i'm reading this correctly I can do the following:

1) Enable home sharing on my mac and my dads, but entering my apple ID under the home sharing options on both macs
2) I can then import all my movies from my mac to my dads mac

Once they have been imported, does my mac have to be switched on and live on the network for him to be able to play the movies, even if they have been imported and are not just simply streaming? If it doesn't have to be on then how would the home sharing know that I am in France

We can both continue to purchase content using our own seperate Apple ID's

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
SO if i'm reading this correctly I can do the following:

1) Enable home sharing on my mac and my dads, but entering my apple ID under the home sharing options on both macs
2) I can then import all my movies from my mac to my dads mac

Once they have been imported, does my mac have to be switched on and live on the network for him to be able to play the movies, even if they have been imported and are not just simply streaming? If it doesn't have to be on then how would the home sharing know that I am in France

We can both continue to purchase content using our own seperate Apple ID's

Once they have been imported, no your Mac does not have to be switched on as your Dad's Mac has already been authorised by you to play them. You can both continue to purchase content with your own ID's. If at some point in the future you find you need to take back your Dad's authorisation, you can de-authorise his computer, or get Apple to reset your account authorisations.

Last edited:

tancka

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2013
Please help?

Im having the same problem. Dad has movies on his computer but I cant seem to find out how to move them to my macbook. Did you ever find out how to do it? Can you please tell me how

thanx so much

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.