Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
So, I've had many many cheap chinese Android pads and I hate to say that all of them have had some kind of faults or things which I don't like. Still I'd say that they have been worth the money. Some of the faults include bad Android OS roms, meaning that there are stability or compatibility issues, some tablets have had very poor screens especially with viewing angles and some with the touch registration. The only tablet which had great build quality and excellent screen (for the price category) was however bit too slow, used it couple months but ended up selling it. The one I have now has great build quality and very good specs (I've read that CPU is actually faster than Apple A5 but loses on GPU side) but the display digitizer, the part which actually registers touches, is somewhat faulty and there is one dead spot and couple where the touch is way of, inaccurate. So even though it is great product for the price, I am still disappointed.

Today I decided to try what Apple has to offer, I have used my friend's iPad 3 but never owned any iPads myself. Based on my usage of that iPad 3 I have no complaints about iOS but I'm bit worried because on different forums I have heard that iOS and even iPads themselves are very limited, the thing which bothers me most is (if it's true) the fact that I need iTunes to transfer files. With those Android tablets I have been able to download drivers, read manuals etc. if I have been building a new pc for a someone or for myself, it has been an useful tool. New PC will not have iTunes so I guess iPad is not good for this job? Also can I transfer any video or music file I want or am I forced to always buy them from iTunes? Never used HDMI on those chinese pads but for iPad I need an adapter which of course costs something (almost as much as a chinese tablet heh....)

So, comments? Has anyoen else just recently switched or tried the "jump" from Android side?

Last edited:

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
There is a lot less "freedom" with the ipads, but the OS is really good.

You can use dropbox or itunes to get files onto the ipad - you don't have to buy them on itunes - you can just use the program as a way to sync files.

Install dropbox right away for most files; for videos you really have to use itunes.

R

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
The OS felt fluid on iPad 3 and if I remember correctly, the CPU part on iPad 3 is the same as in iPad Mini but the GPU is much better, so the OS itself should work as well but 3D apps are slower (I don't play games so this is not a problem) ? Based on many reviews Apple's optimizations in OS seem to compensate very well those specs which itself do not look impressive.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
If you're reading manuals, get a good PDF reader (there are a few, I use GoodReader, which has the added benefit of being able to connect directly to external servers and services like Dropbox - others are PDF Expert and iAnnotate, which I've also heard great things about). That way you don't have to go through iTunes to copy files back and forth, especially things you may not want to store on the device, but have on externally somewhere. As Rhyalus has already suggested, Dropbox is excellent - you can get 6GB free storage, and if you want more, SugarSync also allows you 6GB of free storage (though it's not quite as integrated with various apps as Dropbox, but it's still very good).

Hope you enjoy your iPad when it arrives - let us know your first experiences with the device, both good and bad (hopefully it'll be more good than bad!).

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Yeah I will get the device this week for sure, ordered it on Sunday, delivery time was 3-5 days. I'm already quite sure it is better as device, including build quality, display quality and touch registration, is it worth the extra money (comapred to those chinese tablets), I'm not sure. I have "studied" those rooting etc. things on Android so I have been able to optimize those tablet a bit, remove all chinese things and such but hopefully with this iPad there is no need to first kinda finish the product and after that use it.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
To get files on and off the iPad, I use GoodReader and FileBrowser. You can paste the URL of an online file into GoodReader, and it'll download the file. FileBrowser connects to shared drives on a network. So my workflow is to download files with GoodReader, then open them in FileBrowser, and save them to my network hard drive.

For videos, if they are in mp4 or m4v format, GoodReader, FileBrowser and DropBox will all play them. For videos in other formats, there are many apps that can play them. There is also AirVideo, that streams videos from your computer to your iPad, but your computer needs to be running the streaming server program.

Yes, iOS is limited compared to Android, but it's not as tightly locked up as some people think. There are lots of ways to get files on and off the iPad, and no, you don't need to buy your music and videos from iTunes.

AG212

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
Android guy here too, and the Mini was my first try at the iPad line as well. I love android but I accept that the tablet offerings are a mixed bag and the fact that iPads just have so many more tablet friendly designed apps. I think it's been interesting to experience a full fledged iOS device, I use iTunes and such for iPods but those are obviously nothing like this. I think the simpler interface for a tablet is a welcome experience. I don't know if I could replace my nexus for an iPhone though, haha.

I think the form factor and functionality is great and I'm super impressed by the materials, feel, and battery life, but unfortunately in my personal case a combination of the Minis screen res coupled with some smallish text thought the core OS makes my eyes strain a bit and makes my vision a blurred at times. As such I will probably return it and wait for Mini 2. I think I've gotten spoiled by the resolution wars that happen on the android phones lol. Like the majority of others though if it doesn't bother you the Mini is nearly a perfect tablet in my opinion.

Good luck with your new device!

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Yes it will be interesting to see (iPad not arrived yet) whether or not it is worth the extra money. The Android-tablet which I currently have has 1.6Ghz Dual Core processor, 1GB of RAM (twice as much as in iPad Mini), 16GB storage and possibility to expand it with MicroSD card , 8 inch display with 1024 x 768 resolution, backside is made of aluminium, MicroUSB slot which allows me to connect many kinds of devices (MicroUSB to USB -adapter is also included). Android -version is 4.1.1.

iPad Mini cost 335 EUR including shipping, the Android -tablet cost around 100 EUR, including shipping so there is definently price difference. The display on the Android device is not IPS I belive, but I think it is not the crappiest type either, maybe MVA, I dunno ? Viewing angles are OK and brightness is good.

I belive the Android tablet can do everything what the iPad can and possibly more (expand storage, add external 3G etc) but I expect the iPad to do those basic things better and faster despite possibly slower processor, as in speed not only in MHz. The iPad has much better camera (or cameras) for sure, the one in my Android device is horrible, I think it's only there so you can include it to the specs.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
I love android ON A PHONE but on s tablet I don't think it's ready.

It's not the os that's a problem(although I do prefer ios on a tablet) it's the lack of tablet apps.

Apple has that cornered and it doesn't seem like android is making any real steps to combat it.

Hardware only, the nexus 7 & 10 are easily better than the mini and iPad, especially resolution, but hardware is just a part of the puzzle

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
You'll love it. Android is a disaster for one reason. Companies screwing with it.

It's great feeling to have a native OS as it was intended to be seen and used. Not weighed down with some crap thought up by some middle management schmuck. Same reason I think the only Android devices that are worth anything are the Google branded Nexus stuff.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
This tablet I have does not have custom interface which is great, plain Android. It was however packed with chinese software which I had to remove.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I helped my in laws set up their cheap Android tablets at Christmas.

Slow. Painful. Sluggish.

A horrible experience. Yet they both love them.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I love android ON A PHONE but on s tablet I don't think it's ready.

It's not the os that's a problem(although I do prefer ios on a tablet) it's the lack of tablet apps.

Apple has that cornered and it doesn't seem like android is making any real steps to combat it.

Hardware only, the nexus 7 & 10 are easily better than the mini and iPad, especially resolution, but hardware is just a part of the puzzle

I have issue with your comment about hardware. I have a Nexus 7 and an iPad 3. While I appreciate the leather-like feel of the back of the Nexus 7, it still pales in comparison to the build quality of my iPad 3.

Yes technically resolution of the 7 is better than the Mini and 10 better than the iPad with Retina display, but when a phone app gets stretched and skewed up to the size on my Nexus 7 and looks blurry, I'll take my Retina display anyday (haven't used a Nexus 10 to compare).

Then, look at native iPad apps that run and look so much better on the iPad vs. Nexus 7...eBay is hell of a lot more user friendly and easier to look at on the iOS version, same for some of my other favorite apps like ESPN / Score sport apps, Yelp and others that don't come to mind right now. The android versions are just small phone text versions stretched with the color background of the app across the screen. This to me is unacceptable for a tablet community that is in its 3rd year, get it together Android!

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
This tablet I have does not have custom interface which is great, plain Android. It was however packed with chinese software which I had to remove.

Seems like you are good to go noting the specs you posted as well on the Andriod tablet you have. Try out the ipad is my recommendation, the os may or may not be to your liking but only you can decide for yourself.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
I have issue with your comment about hardware. I have a Nexus 7 and an iPad 3. While I appreciate the leather-like feel of the back of the Nexus 7, it still pales in comparison to the build quality of my iPad 3.

Yes technically resolution of the 7 is better than the Mini and 10 better than the iPad with Retina display, but when a phone app gets stretched and skewed up to the size on my Nexus 7 and looks blurry, I'll take my Retina display anyday (haven't used a Nexus 10 to compare).

Then, look at native iPad apps that run and look so much better on the iPad vs. Nexus 7...eBay is hell of a lot more user friendly and easier to look at on the iOS version, same for some of my other favorite apps like ESPN / Score sport apps, Yelp and others that don't come to mind right now. The android versions are just small phone text versions stretched with the color background of the app across the screen. This to me is unacceptable for a tablet community that is in its 3rd year, get it together Android!

You just said what I said about the apps being better on iPad.

And is it the build quality or build MATERIAL you prefer on the iPad?

They aren't the same.

----------

You'll love it. Android is a disaster for one reason. Companies screwing with it.

It's great feeling to have a native OS as it was intended to be seen and used. Not weighed down with some crap thought up by some middle management schmuck. Same reason I think the only Android devices that are worth anything are the Google branded Nexus stuff.

The nexus models went wrong when they got rid of sd cards, then offered a maximum of 16gb, and then they got rid of the removable battery.

If s phone doesn't have a removable battery, it should have at least a battery like the razr maxx.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I prefer my iPad 3 build quality and material to the Nexus 7 line.

Look into it, the Nexus 7 has had many issues with returns due to the screen rising. Mine has a small amount of screen lift but I decided to live with it as so far it has not affected use of the tablet in the 5 month's I've owned the thing.

When holding the Nexus 7 in landscape and I move my hands in different directions, the tablet sort of flexes with it due to it being primarly plastic and sometimes I hear a creaking sound.

With my iPad 3 I got none of the above issues. I prefer the solid feel of aluminum and glass and the thing just feels like a rock (yes it is even heavy like a rock, lol).

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Okay, mini has arrived. As expected, the build quality is awesome and IPS -panel is nice for sure. The Android-tablet I have is not heavy but the iPad surely is lighter which is great. It will take some time to get used to the iOS, it seems not to have same kind of launcher like Android has, for example. My Android -tablet already has a potential buyer so maybe I'll keep this iPad.

Here are both tablets:

http://aijaa.com/yOAvyE

Last edited:

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Okay, mini has arrived. As expected, the build quality is awesome and IPS -panel is nice for sure. The Android-tablet I have is not heavy but the iPad surely is lighter which is great. It will take some time to get used to the iOS, it seems not to have same kind of launcher like Android has, for example. My Android -tablet already has a potential buyer so maybe I'll keep this iPad.

Here are both tablets:

http://aijaa.com/yOAvyE

You're right, there are no custom launchers for iOS. It takes a little getting used to, but you'll get used to it, but it's actually very simple. I made the switch 2 years ago and at first I was frustrated with the lack or options compared to Android, but specific apps have filled the void and I wouldn't trade my current system for the world.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
I'll never understand why do many people say"I've tried an android tablet, the experience was horrible, it was slow, non responsive, and totally sucked"

Then when you ask them which one they used, they don't know the name of it or it doesn't even have a name written on it.

Then when you see it, is a 50 dollar tab from Coby or something.

No wonder it sucked.

Can't compare a high end product like the iPad 4 to a bottom of the barrel product like that.

Same thing as people saying "I hate android, is slow, clunky, buggy, and apps crash even more than ios" but when you finally find out what phone it was, it was a "free" phone.

No wonder it sucks!

There is high end android, mid range android low end android, and "look I'm trying to get this just because it's android and cheap" android

Not a good comparison

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
The Android-tablet I currently have is Teclast P85 RK3066. As I said, that tablet costs less than one third compared of iPad mini and It indeed is a low cost device. It would have been an awesome device for the price if it did not have one dead and one inaccurate spot on the screen, I got partial refund because of those. Previous chinese tablet had perfect screen and good Android rom but the battery failed after two weeks. Warranty policy of the chinese store I bought it from was to almost lift the middle finger when I asked about the warranty. All those devices (I have owned more) have been Android based so I was kinda ready to try something else.

My phone is Motorola Defy and you can easily tell that even used device from known manufacturer is more safe bet to buy than a new chinese tablet.

Last edited:

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I'll never understand why do many people say"I've tried an android tablet, the experience was horrible, it was slow, non responsive, and totally sucked"

Then when you ask them which one they used, they don't know the name of it or it doesn't even have a name written on it.

Then when you see it, is a 50 dollar tab from Coby or something.

No wonder it sucked.

Can't compare a high end product like the iPad 4 to a bottom of the barrel product like that.

Same thing as people saying "I hate android, is slow, clunky, buggy, and apps crash even more than ios" but when you finally find out what phone it was, it was a "free" phone.

No wonder it sucks!

There is high end android, mid range android low end android, and "look I'm trying to get this just because it's android and cheap" android

Not a good comparison

So extremely true. There's the incredible android experience you get with the Nexus 4, and then there's the downright terrible, borderline unusable experience you get with say, a MyTouch 4G.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
So extremely true. There's the incredible android experience you get with the Nexus 4, and then there's the downright terrible, borderline unusable experience you get with say, a MyTouch 4G.

And that sums up Android's greatest strengths and biggest weaknesses.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I know the iPad Mini was designed in the USA, but isn't it technically a Chinese Tablet too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.