Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superstarmc

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
I still have my 60 gig iPod Photo from 2004. It works great. I had an issue about 3 years ago with it as it wouldn't hold a charge anymore. So I bought a new one and threw the old one in a drawer. I found it about a year ago and started messing with it. Come to find out the 30 pin dock connector had lifted off the circuit board. So I ordered a broken ipod on ebay for $10, removed that 30 pin connector and soldered it to my old iPod. Now it works like a champ. I replaced the battery and LCD screen at the same time and now it's like new.

This is the one I'm still using from 2005. I found it in a desk drawer full of stuff last year and forgot how much I loved it. Used from phone for music for a long time but now switched back. 400 bucks for a 64 gb phone is too much for me.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
I bought mine 80GB iPod Classic some five years ago. It has fallen a countless of times, the wheel is scarred, but it still works as perfectly as the day I bought it plus the battery doesn't seem to have weakened, at all.

It's a classic, irreplaceable, immortal!

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
If I wanted to swap out the 30gb hdd in my 5.5 video, what are my options for a bigger sized drive? I've replaced it once before, and have no problems replacing that sort of thing, I just don't know if certain drives are recognized, or how high I can go.

I kind of don't want to replace the shell though, which I have read is necessary on some upgrades.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357879933.619702.jpg
Eat your hearts out guys.... I had to snap at my priced possession, forgive me ;)

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
I know I'm in the minority here, but I sold my Classic a year or so ago, because I never got on with the wheel.

Perhaps it's because I got into Apple devices via the iPhone, but I just found it a really cumbersome way to navigate through my music collection.

I know a lot of people were using the wheels a long time before touch screens, so maybe that is a reason why they prefer them. For me, if I wanted to listen to an album starting with, for example, "T", it was a nightmare to try to navigate to it.

Far happier with my 64gb Touch, which holds a decent chunk of music plus iTunes Match on my phone in case I want to listen to a specific track that isn't on the Touch.

Zolos

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
tired interface

The button and spin interface was great initially, but it's time for an upgrade. I have a selection of about 7,000 songs and I'm tired of spinning, spinning, spinning past and back to a song that I'm trying to locate. Moving to iPod Touch, but would love the storage of a classic.

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
The button and spin interface was great initially, but it's time for an upgrade. I have a selection of about 7,000 songs and I'm tired of spinning, spinning, spinning past and back to a song that I'm trying to locate. Moving to iPod Touch, but would love the storage of a classic.

I find scrolling, scrolling, scrolling way more obnoxious than spinning.

Mdwall

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
I find scrolling, scrolling, scrolling way more obnoxious than spinning.

Another reason I came back to the classic. Sometimes an interface doesn't have to change if its done right. Some mistake tried and true for old and tired

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Does anyone still as lucky to have owned this 160Gig storage music player? Despite it being a vintage device don't you think this has been one great gadget to come out of apple? Yes the one with the click dial in front.
Yes. I am never letting it go.

LotusLord

macrumors 6502a
My main iPod is a 5.5 Gen 80gig. I got it as a graduation gift in 07 and use it nearly every day. It primarily remains in the car. I have (or maybe had) a 160 gig classic that I either lost or was stolen. I too love the interface. I'd love if they could add wifi to it so I wouldn't have to plug it in to sync it.

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I've seen people sub compact flash drives into their 5.5 videos. has anyone here done this swap?

Any difference in speeds?

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2010
Just got a 160gig 7th gen in the mail from amazon. Loving it so far.

Question though, is it supposed to constantly make whining noises? Sounds like the HDD is starting up and stopping all the time.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Just got a 160gig 7th gen in the mail from amazon. Loving it so far.

Question though, is it supposed to constantly make whining noises? Sounds like the HDD is starting up and stopping all the time.

That's how it is but the sounds are not really distracting as you put it ;)

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2010
That's how it is but the sounds are not really distracting as you put it ;)

Yea, I only heard it because I was in my room and there was absolutely no noise around. Definitely won't hear it with headphones on/IEMS in.

I was screwing around in coverflow and scrolling through hundreds of albums just to test this thing out and it is of course going to make the HDD constantly look info up. During actual listening they're definitely won't be as much stress.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
Love my classic; Couldn't imagine being without it. Its the only apple mobile device that will hold my library.

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Don't Buy - Updates soon!

Does anyone have any idea how long the Buyer's Guide has been saying this?

I think it's important to have some warning of what an update configuration might be, to allow for a quick purchase from the remaining stock of the current model in case Apple decides to do something stupid and update the Classic by eliminating the click wheel.

They've made some really bad decisions on the new 2012 iMac update, so it's probably 50/50 that they'll make some more if they update the Classic.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Set In Stone

The iPod Classic has been "stuck" in its current specifaction for the past 3 years.

At 1st it was just plain annoying to those hoping for an upgrade, but it's looking increasing likely that Apple may bin it altogether.

But some of us are living in Hope.

:(

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
I've always had one version of the classic since the first iPod. Always my main device for listening to podcasts, songs, and audio books on long commutes or weekend drives.

But there is room for improvement. During every Apple product launch, I secretly hope to hear about a significant capacity bump, addition of a retina screen, or a much thinner version of the iPod classic. Let's keep making it the Big Daddy of the whole line!

Alas, it appears Apple believes the iPod touch to be heir of the iPod classic.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
The iPod Classic has been "stuck" in its current specifaction for the past 3 years.

At 1st it was just plain annoying to those hoping for an upgrade, but it's looking increasing likely that Apple may bin it altogether.

But some of us are living in Hope.

:(

I don't think it will ever receive an upgrade. They keep selling, but the market has become to much of a niche. I've actually bought one this Christmas, simply due to the huge capacity and the click wheel. But sooner or later, Apple will kill it. It has become the Mac Pro of the portables;)

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
The Zune and the iPod Classic were both in a league of their own in terms of capacity. I loved the Zune and wished they didn't discontinue it it offered a bigger screen and better sound quality but no 5 star rating system that I depend on nor the 160gb capacity.

I actually still currently use my 120GB classic on a near daily basis since early 2009. Its now 4 years old now and is showing a reduction in battery life so I am definitely looking to replace it with a new one soon.

iPod Classic is and has been a silent success in the iPod line. Every time I check the top mp3 player sales on amazon the iPod Classic has always been in the top 5 usually beating everything but the iPod Touch. (obviously this really isn't a true indicator of success but they are definitely a large supplier of mp3 players)

This really speaks volumes for a couple of reasons, the nano has gone through 4 revisions while the classic has remained the same, the shuffle is 1/5th the price of the classic and still can't hold a candle.

The main reason I believe Apple has thrown the classic under the bus is because of apps. I believe by underplaying the classic they will lead people to the iPod Touch which supports apps and therefore makes a better profit for the company in short term and long term. At least I believe this was the initial intention when the iPod Touch was still holding a candle to the iPhone. Now the iPad and iPhone is Apple's baby.

iPod Nano is a touch player which is a huge annoyance for those of us that want tactile feedback. Plus its stuck in 2008 with capacities of 16GB.

iPod Touch is again another touch player which is an annoyance for quick, easy access to controls. Yes you can get the earpods with remote but this doesn't answer the problem with high quality head phones as they don't have remotes. 64GB is manageable but if I want some space to grow on 64GB is not going to leave enough free space for me. Again another device thats stuck in the same old capacities we've had for years yet flash prices are WAAAAYYY down since the introduction of 64GB.

iPod Shuffle, ironically probably my second favorite iPod but it lacks capacity and a screen. Though its great for on-the-fly listening when you don't want to find yourself "looking" for a certain song all the time or at the gym.

The biggest updates I would like to see is another capacity update and a different supplier of the sound chip. Circus Logic is terrible and I wish they'd go back to Wolfson.

Rawkfist

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Texas
The biggest updates I would like to see is another capacity update and a different supplier of the sound chip. Circus Logic is terrible and I wish they'd go back to Wolfson.[/QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly. It's not much of a change from a manufacturing standpoint but would be a huge improvement to those of us that just want a bigger, better music player.

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2010
Great post iEvolution. Apps are of almost no use to me. There are some I've been wanting that are quite useful and a few iOS exclusive games(Rayman) are quite tempting but never enough to warrant the purchase of an Ipod touch or a new iphone(I have a 3g I got from a friend for dirt cheap, is actually a POS and can't run anything).

The classic is what I love, music, and simply that.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I actually still currently use my 120GB classic on a near daily basis since early 2009. Its now 4 years old now and is showing a reduction in battery life so I am definitely looking to replace it with a new one soon.

Send me a PM if you want to sell your iPod. I am looking for an older iPod to leave plugged into my car stereo and control through the head unit. It will always be powered so a crummy battery is no big deal.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Here is a link to the company where I got a case for my classic. http://www.iskin.com/ They are called iSkin. I use the iSkin claro for my classic. My classic which is a few years old looks like the day I bought it. They have many other cases to choose from. Check them out, you may find something that could work for you.

I actually prefer the "Evo" from iskin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.