Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CharlieBrandt09

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Southern NJ
So my new, black VZW 16 gb has developed a minor light leak in the upper right hand corner of screen.

It's hardly noticeable, but I am anal with these things. Other than that, it's flawless.

Today is day 14 of me owning this, and Best Buy return policy is 14 days. Should I swap it for a new one? Does this generally get more noticeable with time? I'm sure I can live with it if it stays as-is, but if it it's going to get worse, I don't want to lose this opportunity to swap it.

zybersniper

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
So my new, black VZW 16 gb has developed a minor light leak in the upper right hand corner of screen.

It's hardly noticeable, but I am anal with these things. Other than that, it's flawless.

Today is day 14 of me owning this, and Best Buy return policy is 14 days. Should I swap it for a new one? Does this generally get more noticeable with time? I'm sure I can live with it if it stays as-is, but if it it's going to get worse, I don't want to lose this opportunity to swap it.

Light leaks are only visible under certain circumstances. Scuffs are way more noticeable. Are you sure you want to play the lottery again?

CharlieBrandt09

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Southern NJ
Light leaks are only visible under certain circumstances. Scuffs are way more noticeable. Are you sure you want to play the lottery again?

I know, and it's probably not even an issue. Just makes me nervous because I will lose the ability to swap at best buy starting tomorrow.

arc123

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012
Blacklight 'bleed' or 'leak' on the edges, and particularly in the corners, is very common with edge-lit IPS displays. If it didn't have it before, I guess it's plausible that it could get worse over time if it's the result of a progressive warping somewhere in the chassis. Otherwise, I imagine it won't change much.

Here's what I'd do: Check for the other sorts of defects, such as the 'interlacing' defect, hot or dead pixels, dust, color temperature, etc. If those all seem fine, I'd probably keep it. Very minor edge bleed is probably not going to affect your usage as much as any of those other things, and at least one of those other things shows up reasonably often. One other thing you could do is just go to the Apple store and hold your phone up to a display model, and see which one looks better in various situations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.