Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:23 PM   #1
NorthDakota91
macrumors member

Lion security flaw with "resetpassword"

Just yesterday I've discovered that anyone who has physical access to my Mac can easily reset just any password by using the "resetpassword" command from Lion's recovery partition. My question is: is there a way to avoid that?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

Use a firmware password. This flaw is no different then boot the Mac from an external drive or cd.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:04 AM   #3
scottishwildcat
macrumors regular

I wouldn't really call it a "flaw". As any security guru will tell you, once somebody has physical access to your machine, all bets are off -- at that point, if somebody really wants access to your stuff, they can most likely get it one way or another. The best you can do is make it hard enough that they might lose interest first.
scottishwildcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Bear
macrumors G3

Two ways to avoid it. One is the firmware password. The other is Filevault 2. If the disk is encrypted, they wouldn't be able to use the reset password.

If you're worried about data security and integrity, I would recommend the FileVault 2 route as the firmware password isn't 100% secure as Apple knows how to reset it, so I'm sure others do as well.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:35 AM   #5
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDakota91 View Post
Just yesterday I've discovered that anyone who has physical access to my Mac can easily reset just any password by using the "resetpassword" command from Lion's recovery partition. My question is: is there a way to avoid that?
If they have physical access to your Mac, they can boot it up in Target mode (making the whole Mac an external drive to another Mac), or take the drive out and mount it in an external case.

The best way to avoid such problems are not to leave your expensive computer lying around, and place it in a locked drawer when you're not using it.
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:41 AM   #6
ThirteenXIII
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
If they have physical access to your Mac, they can boot it up in Target mode (making the whole Mac an external drive to another Mac), or take the drive out and mount it in an external case.

The best way to avoid such problems are not to leave your expensive computer lying around, and place it in a locked drawer when you're not using it.
not with disk encryption. and the recommended methods provided previously.
But, yes proper watch over your stuff is the first step.
Also Back-ups are critical!
ThirteenXIII is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:00 PM   #7
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirteenXIII View Post
not with disk encryption. and the recommended methods provided previously.
But, yes proper watch over your stuff is the first step.
Also Back-ups are critical!
Many people leave their laptops continually running, and don't leave a password to get past the screensaver.
Some people let their dorm buddy use their laptop on the same account.

In short, encryption is fine, but it's just one defence against some, but by no means all, of the security threats to your computer.

Most thieves are not Tom Cruise trying to access your special data without you noticing, but will probably just wipe the disk and sell the laptop.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:02 PM   #8
ezramoore
macrumors 6502a

Common sense is your best defense.

resetpassword is a feature not a flaw.
ezramoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:25 PM   #9
ThirteenXIII
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Many people leave their laptops continually running, and don't leave a password to get past the screensaver.
Some people let their dorm buddy use their laptop on the same account.

In short, encryption is fine, but it's just one defence against some, but by no means all, of the security threats to your computer.

Most thieves are not Tom Cruise trying to access your special data without you noticing, but will probably just wipe the disk and sell the laptop.
well when you support enterprise level systems it is critical regardless of how "Special" or "not special" the data is. even in basic users. never underestimate the maliciousness of thieves, a slight bit of personal data is all they may need to steal your identity, cause problems, etc.

Also, tell me how you can erase an encrypted disk? if it were that easy it wouldnt be a defacto encryption process.
ThirteenXIII is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:05 PM   #10
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirteenXIII View Post
Also, tell me how you can erase an encrypted disk? if it were that easy it wouldnt be a defacto encryption process.
I dunno -- erase it using Linux or Windows? I'd be surprised if diskutil didn't let you somehow, though.

But yes, encryption is of course useful. And I would expect enterprise-level guys to be following a lot of procedure that most domestic users don't.
I was merely trying to highlight other physical risks that are greater than "resetpassword".
;-)
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:57 PM   #11
chrfr
macrumors 68020

Quote:
And I would expect enterprise-level guys to be following a lot of procedure that most domestic users don't.
Yeah, the Enterprise level equipment with sensitive data is locked in a limited-access secured data center.
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:30 PM   #12
ZMacintosh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfr View Post
Yeah, the Enterprise level equipment with sensitive data is locked in a limited-access secured data center.
not always true, such as with schools, or businesses with off-site work.
ZMacintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion