Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:04 AM   #1
barryl85
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Home button on iPad 3.....

So I have a 64gb iPad 3 that i've had since a week after launch, I paid 560 for it and have hardly used it as much as most would. Its pristine, not a single mark, here's my issue.....


The home button doesn't work properly, it sometimes takes a forceful press for it to work as intended. When you press it, a lot of the time nothing happens till (as i said) you give it a forceful press then on most occasions it doesn't go to the home screen it opens the multitask app shortcut bit at the bottom as if i've double clicked the button but I don't even try to open the multitask bit as that's a mission on its own. In case anyone is wondering this thing has never seen any kind of moisture or water near that button or anywhere.

I don't want a refurbished model for the simple fact I don't want someone else fixed unit. I'd rather mine was fixed and returned the way i've given it to Apple.

Whats the likely outcome to my problem? Do you think they will only offer me a refurbed unit as a replacement? I'm going to book a genius appointment for the weekend.
barryl85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:07 AM   #2
trouble747
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
My new iPad 4 does this as well. Either the button press doesn't register, or it registers two when I press it again a second or two later. Pretty annoying.
trouble747 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:10 AM   #3
barryl85
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I went for a long while thinking it was software related but i'm just not happy with it and I only have until march to get it back to the store under warranty.
barryl85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:17 AM   #4
trouble747
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryl85 View Post
I went for a long while thinking it was software related but i'm just not happy with it and I only have until march to get it back to the store under warranty.
You could always switch it out for a refurb and see if that one is any better. I agree, the home button on my iPhone 5 works much better.
trouble747 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:02 AM   #5
Fattytail
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
This is bound to happen with physical hardware buttons. Take it in and get a replacement. Refurbished units actually get an even closer inspection than units that come fresh off the manufacturing line. I've had plenty of refurbished exchanges over the years and not one has failed me.
Fattytail is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:11 AM   #6
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Just ring apple and get a replacement. Its not complicated.
Kissaragi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:20 AM   #7
RevTEG
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Jose, Ca
I had to replace my home button on the iPhone 3 and 4. $80 at "We Fix Macs".
Now my ipad 3 is also having the same issues as yours. Although I will be the first to admit that I use my gadgets A LOT....
RevTEG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:39 PM   #8
LeeMac2012
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I was worried about this myself when I got my iPad. Both my iPhone 4's had this issue and it didn't feel as firm as the 5. Instead of using the home button i've been using the finger gestures as much as possible to avoid it going out sooner.
LeeMac2012 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:42 PM   #9
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
Try this trick, it resets the home button:

1. Go into any apple app (Music / iTunes / whatever)
2. Hold the lock/power button until the slide to power off notice comes up
3. Don't slide at this point, but hold the home button until the app exits.

You've just reset your home button. See if you have better response now, if not...you may have a hardware issue.
mpayne2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:05 PM   #10
Nighttracker
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Not sure if the ipad has this option but on my ipt4 it does. Go to settings, accessibility and down towards the bottom is "home-click speed". Settings are default, slow or slowest. Maybe try it and it may help cause you don't need to double click home so fast.
Nighttracker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:45 PM   #11
Rasmussen
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canada
Thumbs up Thanks mpayne2k!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpayne2k View Post
Try this trick, it resets the home button:

1. Go into any apple app (Music / iTunes / whatever)
2. Hold the lock/power button until the slide to power off notice comes up
3. Don't slide at this point, but hold the home button until the app exits.

You've just reset your home button. See if you have better response now, if not...you may have a hardware issue.
I had the same problem with the home button on my iPod touch (4th gen.) - it would take 2-4 firm presses to quit an app, and half the time it would end up opening the app switching / multitasking bar at the bottom of the screen instead of quitting the app.

I was beginning to think it was a hardware problem, but the steps mpayne2k listed above seem to have fixed the problem!
Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by Rasmussen; Jan 10, 2013 at 01:48 PM. Reason: fix spelling
Rasmussen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:37 PM   #12
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000
 
aPple nErd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryl85 View Post
So I have a 64gb iPad 3 that i've had since a week after launch, I paid 560 for it and have hardly used it as much as most would. Its pristine, not a single mark, here's my issue.....


The home button doesn't work properly, it sometimes takes a forceful press for it to work as intended. When you press it, a lot of the time nothing happens till (as i said) you give it a forceful press then on most occasions it doesn't go to the home screen it opens the multitask app shortcut bit at the bottom as if i've double clicked the button but I don't even try to open the multitask bit as that's a mission on its own. In case anyone is wondering this thing has never seen any kind of moisture or water near that button or anywhere.

I don't want a refurbished model for the simple fact I don't want someone else fixed unit. I'd rather mine was fixed and returned the way i've given it to Apple.

Whats the likely outcome to my problem? Do you think they will only offer me a refurbed unit as a replacement? I'm going to book a genius appointment for the weekend.
Use gestures my friend
__________________
iPhone 5 White/Silver, iPad Mini Space Gray, iPod Tough 5 Blue, iPad 3 White, iPod Touch 4 White -- All Jailbroken
iMac Mid 2011 21.5"
aPple nErd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:16 PM   #13
Danmoore03
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Don't settle for dealing with this or using gestures. I've got the newest ipad and I went through three of them until the 4th one had a properly operating home button.
Danmoore03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:48 PM   #14
Rodster
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: May 2007
You can also enable AssistiveTouch in the settings. That gets you an on-screen home button.
Rodster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:37 PM   #15
Thetonyk123
macrumors 68000
 
Thetonyk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nowhere.
Launch day? Ipad 3? Apple store for you,!

EDIT: didn't real full post...
Assistive touch and gestures are good

Why don't you want a refurbished ipad?
__________________
Some Apple stuff
How you send feedback to apple: http://www.apple.com/feedback/
-Credit to iSayuSay for Avatar.
Thetonyk123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:17 AM   #16
barryl85
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpayne2k View Post
Try this trick, it resets the home button:

1. Go into any apple app (Music / iTunes / whatever)
2. Hold the lock/power button until the slide to power off notice comes up
3. Don't slide at this point, but hold the home button until the app exits.

You've just reset your home button. See if you have better response now, if not...you may have a hardware issue.
Thanks, that's actually made a huge difference to its operation, i'm still convinced its a hardware fault so I will now just use it normally and see if the problem comes back !

Quote:
Originally Posted by aPple nErd View Post
Use gestures my friend
I'm not paying 560 for it to have a hardware fault and use a work around, if I was out of warranty I would be taking your advice though !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetonyk123 View Post
Launch day? Ipad 3? Apple store for you,!

EDIT: didn't real full post...
Assistive touch and gestures are good

Why don't you want a refurbished ipad?
Just don't want someone elses broken then fixed iPad - I bought it brand new as I wanted a new unit which I could keep in mint condition.
barryl85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:26 AM   #17
Coasterfanryan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pittsburgh Pa
Same with my 3rd. gen iPad.
__________________
13" early 2011 MacBook Pro; iPad 3rd. Gen 16GB Black; iPhone 4 8GB White, iPod touch 5th. Gen 32 GB Black
Coasterfanryan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:46 AM   #18
iPhysicist
macrumors 6502a
 
iPhysicist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dresden
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpayne2k View Post
Try this trick, it resets the home button:

1. Go into any apple app (Music / iTunes / whatever)
2. Hold the lock/power button until the slide to power off notice comes up
3. Don't slide at this point, but hold the home button until the app exits.

You've just reset your home button. See if you have better response now, if not...you may have a hardware issue.
WHY DOES THIS WORK?!

It does work but why? If the home button issue is software related then it is not wear and tear but an intentional failure to happen after a certain use! NOW i am really pissed!
iPhysicist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:55 AM   #19
TPadden
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhysicist View Post
.......If the home button issue is software related then it is not wear and tear but an intentional failure to happen after a certain use! NOW i am really pissed!
Everything is programmed for intentional failure, and then you die.............


........... Unless you know the trick.
TPadden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:29 AM   #20
Jman13
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Columbus, OH
My mini also has a mushier home button, more akin to the iPhone 4 than the 5, which is fantastic and clicky. The one on my mini works fine if you press down and in the center, but off center pushes don't register as cleanly. Figure it's part of the way they designed this one. I was a little put off at first, but since I use gestures for just about everything that's home button related, I really don't care. The only time I use the home button is to stop the apps jiggling when deleting or moving them.
Jman13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:47 AM   #21
iPhysicist
macrumors 6502a
 
iPhysicist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dresden
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPadden View Post
Everything [biological] is programmed for intentional failure, and then [it] die[s]...
fixed that for you ;-) ...but really the "trick" works just fine. Can others with the same problem (iPhone iPad iPod) please try?! Thanks.
iPhysicist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:01 PM   #22
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhysicist View Post
WHY DOES THIS WORK?!

It does work but why? If the home button issue is software related then it is not wear and tear but an intentional failure to happen after a certain use! NOW i am really pissed!
Its just a calibration issue that needs resetting. You can go to assistive section of settings and change the speed to which the button is registered. Standard, slow and slower. So I think the standard button press gets skewed over time and this reset feature reels it in to normal speed.

BTW...I have an iPad 3 and it's home button has never had issue and IMHO is just as "clicky" as my iPhone 5 even if it doesn't have the same build underneath (didn't I read somewhere the iPhone 5 has a new button mechanism?).
mpayne2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Air home button aerre iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Nov 29, 2013 11:47 PM
iPad 2 Home button not working ParagJain iOS 6 3 Jan 30, 2013 02:36 AM
iPad: iPad 4 home button Drich290195 iPad 19 Jan 17, 2013 03:24 PM
Ipad 4 home button problem Danmoore03 iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 9 Dec 23, 2012 08:49 AM
iPad Home Button Not Straight marty1990 iPad 15 Aug 17, 2012 07:48 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC