Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I was just thinking - who remembers the October 2012 keynote with the Mini? Remember when they said it was a 7.9" tablet and "easy to remember since its the inverse of 9.7"....? Did any bells and whistles go off? Why would they change it?

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Is the Mini's screen measured 7.9" diagonally or the full screen + bezel? Can't remember.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Maybe a bezel as small as the mini would be subpar for the larger iPad as it would leave too little room to hold comfortably with one hand.

However, even half of the current bezel, would suffice to make the device feel much smaller than it actually is. The 9.7" iPad has a huge bezel. They need to shrink that thing...

Piccio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
It was like a funny sketch, 7.9 and 9.7, one second of laughs, and... that's all. Do you really think that Apple is stucked on this just because it's somerhing easy to remember for customers?

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
You should have mentioned in your topic that ipad 5 "screen" size will not be changed.

Of course, nobody said they would or should change the screen size. Because they already did, by releasing Ipad mini. I doubt the bezel will be thinner on the fullsized, it would look stupid. They might redesign and give it a glass front/back like Iphone 4. That would make people more excited to buy the new gen, otherwise, its getting boring here.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Its screen size will not change but its physical size will.

Shorter side bezels like iPad Mini.

This. Obviously they won't make the bezels as small as those found on the mini, but they could definitely make it a little smaller and bring down the weight and physical size by quite a bit.

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
I wish people would put an "I think" or a question mark in the titles of speculative threads. I seem to be forever clicking on posts that I think may contain news only to find opinions.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
If they cut down the bezel, they're either making the tablet smaller or the screen bigger...

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Making the bezel smaller in no way makes the screen bigger. Maybe you should go back to school.

That's not what I mean...
I'm saying two things can happen if the bezel gets smaller: either the iPad itself gets cut down from ___ to *something smaller* or the screen gets bigger and iPad stays the same size as before. Aren't those the only two options available?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Maybe a bezel as small as the mini would be subpar for the larger iPad as it would leave too little room to hold comfortably with one hand.

Unless it was incredibly light. I mean, even with my iPad4, I don't use the entire bezel to hold it, and I understand the Mini has a "thumb detect" so it allow some level of display overlap without triggering a touch response.

I suppose they could also trim it down without going to as minimal of a design as the Mini.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I'm saying two things can happen if the bezel gets smaller: either the iPad itself gets cut down from ___ to *something smaller* or the screen gets bigger and iPad stays the same size as before. Aren't those the only two options available?

True. But I don't see Apple changing the 9.7 inch screen size. So if they do reduce the width of the bezel, the overall size of the iPad will be reduced while the screen size stays the same.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010

I doubt Apple will change the screen size. Rumor has it that it is the bezel only that will change, meaning the size of the existing bezel will be reduced - not the screen will increase making the bezel smaller.

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
No its not, its logical and sound reasoning.

I hope you're being sarcastic.

Someone said that the iPad mini's size was "easy to remember since its the inverse of 9.7" at a keynote. Therefore, the new iPad will have the same 9.7" screen as it always has.

That is very poor reasoning.

FWIW I think that the iPad 5 will have the same size screen it always has too, but not because of some casual remark.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
I hope you're being sarcastic.

Someone said that the iPad mini's size was "easy to remember since its the inverse of 9.7" at a keynote. Therefore, the new iPad will have the same 9.7" screen as it always has.

That is very poor reasoning.

FWIW I think that the iPad 5 will have the same size screen it always has too, but not because of some casual remark.

Its not because its easy to remember its because the 9.7 inch screen and the 7.9 inch screens keep the same aspect ratio.

They have to be those sizes.

They said both of those things during the keynote, they explained why the screens have to be 9.7 and 7.9 and they said its easy to remember because they are inverse to each other.

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
You cannot determine the aspect ratio of the screen by examining the screen's diagonal measurement.

Yes, they have the same aspect ratio, but it sounded to me like you were arguing that OP was using "logical and sound reasoning" when he said that he heard the display sizes were inverses at they keynote and that was proof that the iPad 5 will have the same size screen as is predecessors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.