Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayS90

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
London, UK
Hi guys,

I have a friend who managed to get hold of 4 rack mounted Apple Xserve G5's (dual processor, no HD) and is offering to sell me one for £100.

My question is; what can I do with one (I know, stupid question!) and is it worth it?

Thanks!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Hi guys,

I have a friend who managed to get hold of 4 rack mounted Apple Xserve G5's (dual processor, no HD) and is offering to sell me one for £100.

My question is; what can I do with one (I know, stupid question!) and is it worth it?

Thanks!
Do you mean that it has no external hard drives or that it has no hard drives at all? The Xserve G5 is a 1U rack-mounted server. It defeats the purpose if the computer has no hard drives. I have found an Xserve G5 without hard drive modules for US$151. With the hard drives installed, they go for as much as US$1000. That said, many naïve users think that the Xserve is a more powerful desktop and want to use it that way. This is a mistake. The Xserve is not put to its best use as a desktop computer. It is noisy, power hungry, and not particularly fast by today's standards.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Xserve G5 were released in January 6, 2004.

They use Serial ATA hard drive. If it comes with trays then it's easy to get it to work. Trays are expensive if they are missing trays.

Like all server products (except Mac mini Server), they are loud. If you got a closet or basement you can put it in and want to play with a 2004 computer, then maybe.

I use a dual G4 PowerMac as home server for all files, but that's not as loud as a server.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I just contacted OWC on finding drives for the Apple Xserve G5 2006.
They told me that the system is picky about drives so it sounds like theyve had issues with past sales.
They told me to contact Apple.
I really would like to use this old one for offsite back-up.
Loading it up with 2 or 3 1TB (or more) would be best.
Anyone have tips?

mus0r

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2005
I just contacted OWC on finding drives for the Apple Xserve G5 2006.
They told me that the system is picky about drives so it sounds like theyve had issues with past sales.
They told me to contact Apple.
I really would like to use this old one for offsite back-up.
Loading it up with 2 or 3 1TB (or more) would be best.
Anyone have tips?

I've had no problems using Western Digital Caviar Black drives in any Xserve.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I've had no problems using Western Digital Caviar Black drives in any Xserve.
Really? Even as old as the 2006 G5? Can you give me a model number, Ill take my chances with your input :)

mus0r

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2005
Really? Even as old as the 2006 G5? Can you give me a model number, Ill take my chances with your input :)

Any Xserve. I've replaced drives in G4 Xserves through 2008 Xserves and never bought one of the Apple branded drives.

Just go to macsales.com and find a Caviar Black.

sauria

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2001
Texas, USA
Use hitachi 2 tb drives they will work.

Thanks! Do they require any jumper settings? SATA150 drives? Do you know a model number? I've tried 10 different drives Deskstar, WD Caviar, Maxtor, Hitachi, IBM, Seagate. I also tried to install and boot off of a firewire enclosure and the installation of 10.4.3 finished but I couldn't boot or select the drives in startup disk. Tried FireWire 400 & 800 enclosures, even an old Apple Firmware IDE Deskstar in the enclosure with no success. I appreciate the help, toughest Mac I've ever had.

Shaydy

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
Canberra, Australia
I dropped in 2x Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM SATAIII drives into my dual G5 Xserve with no drama.

The drives were instantly recognised and I now have them in a RAID 0 config for streaming media to my HTPCs.

Drive set me back $118 AUD each from MWave.

sauria

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2001
Texas, USA
I dropped in 2x Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM SATAIII drives into my dual G5 Xserve with no drama.

The drives were instantly recognised and I now have them in a RAID 0 config for streaming media to my HTPCs.

Drive set me back $118 AUD each from MWave.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.