Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:40 PM   #1
mac.fanatic
macrumors 6502

How to Install Windows on my MacBook Pro

Bear with me if this has already been asked and answered. I was not able to find the thread if so.

I am an IT student at a university, and I want to install Windows on my MBP (Mid 2012 release). What is the best way to go at it? Should I purchase VMware Fusion and install Windows that way or should I use BootCamp to dual-boot my system?

Also, what is the best virtual software to use? Parallels, VmWare Fusion, etc?

My main use for windows will be for programming.

Any recommendations will help.
mac.fanatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:44 PM   #2
blevins321
macrumors 68030

For 90% of things, VMWare or Parallels would be the way to go. Parallels supposedly has better graphic capability than VMWare.

For university level programming, either setup would work fine. I'd recommend at least 8GB of RAM if you're going to be virtualizing. Everything would just run better.

You can install Windows via Boot Camp then use Parallels or VMWare to virtualize most of the time. But you'd still have the native installation in case you want to do good gaming or something windows processor intensive.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:44 PM   #3
ezramoore
macrumors 6502a

As an IT student it might be wise to research your own decision. It will help you develop your job-related skills.

I recommend BC and Fusion together as it is most versatile and you never know what you will run across in an IT career path.
ezramoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:48 PM   #4
mac.fanatic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevins321 View Post
For 90% of things, VMWare or Parallels would be the way to go. Parallels supposedly has better graphic capability than VMWare.

For university level programming, either setup would work fine. I'd recommend at least 8GB of RAM if you're going to be virtualizing. Everything would just run better.

You can install Windows via Boot Camp then use Parallels or VMWare to virtualize most of the time. But you'd still have the native installation in case you want to do good gaming or something windows processor intensive.
I have the higher end of the two MBP 13" choices with the i7 Processor and 8 GB of RAM. Would 4 GB be sufficient for the virtual machine? So when I have a virtual OS pulled up, it'd dedicate the RAM 50% to each.
mac.fanatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:56 AM   #5
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.fanatic View Post
I have the higher end of the two MBP 13" choices with the i7 Processor and 8 GB of RAM. Would 4 GB be sufficient for the virtual machine? So when I have a virtual OS pulled up, it'd dedicate the RAM 50% to each.
Depending on how intense your Windows activities are, and what you typically leave open on the Mac side, you might even try 2-3GB for Windows. That will keep RAM free on the Mac side and reduce potential page outs there.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:07 AM   #6
James Craner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.fanatic View Post
4GB is plenty for Windows and Mac. I used to run Parallels on a MacBook Pro with only 4GB of RAM and it ran fine.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac