Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
What kind of pointless, vague spin is THAT?

"Quality" is so subjective. What person doesn't believe they are making "quality"? Your anus thinks it turns out quality product! All this means is that Phil is shilling, again. He's plugging the rumor so it doesn't seem like Apple will just shuffle out some garbage and put a logo on it.

What will probably happen is that Apple will release an older design with the cheapest parts possible while maintaining function and some durability. Could be plastic back, could be sans cameras, could be some 2008 chip, or whatever. It won't be "quality" in terms of 2013 quality.

LoL, 2008 Chip? Yeah ok :rolleyes:

nexusrule

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Apple has no choice but to go cheap if they want to be able to compete in the future. Deal with it.

In the same way they go cheap in computers to compete with dell, hp etc? Companies like Apple (and porsche, bmw, rolex, cartier, prada, any luxury brand) are not about market share, they give up market share when they chose to go for top models only; they aim for profits and they make as much profit with a unit than competitors with 5. In fact you can see how apple with an average of 15-25% share on their markets (phones, computers, tablets) routinely catch 70-80% of the markets profits.

Until apple grow continues at current rates they don't need to fight for market share, also if their competitor get more market than them. Once the markets will stabilize they will be good with their 15-25% market share.

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
The first iMac was plastic.

Stop looking backwards.

Plastic feels cheap. When you buy a Apple branded object, it should NOT feel cheap. It also goes against everything Apple stands for.

Plastic iPhones are like knock off LV bags. No integrity. And it's not even a natural material. Non-recyclable. The idea is completely toxic. Stop dreaming people.

LV bags are plastic.

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
In the same way they go cheap in computers to compete with dell, hp etc? Companies like Apple (and porsche, bmw, rolex, cartier, prada, any luxury brand) are not about market share, they give up market share when they chose to go for top models only; they aim for profits and they make as much profit with a unit than competitors with 5. In fact you can see how apple with an average of 15-25% share on their markets (phones, computers, tablets) routinely catch 70-80% of the markets profits.

Until apple grow continues at current rates they don't need to fight for market share, also if their competitor get more market than them. Once the markets will stabilize they will be good with their 15-25% market share.

Exactly! Totally agree with you!:apple:

FoxMcCloud

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Redcar, England
They should make an iPhone out of polycarbonate. They have experience in it, and Nokia have proven that its a good material for a phone.

Take any excess A4 chips or binned A5s and bung em in a polycarb iphone 4 casing. Basically, use any left overs, and make a plastic iPhone 4.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Why ? The back of the 3GS was plastic and quit popular.

People once got around via horse and buggy too, but we've evolved beyond that as well.

Plastic would be a step backwards and just because it was popular 4 years ago doesn't mean that it would be met with the same acceptance today.

PlutoPrime

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
Blackberry 10 will be released very soon and that will send shivers down Apple Back.

You're right. The world is trembeling before the fierce smartphone power that is Black Berry. With 0.0000000001% market share amongst people who give a crap, a lacking app store, they're truly in a position to revolutionize and disrupt the smartphone market.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Like them or not, iPhone still has the best build quality of any phone ever made.

You forgot the antenna problem :apple:

A design issue is not synonymous with bad build quality. The cause of antenna-gate was Apple attempting to come up with a cutting-edge antenna design - one that unfortunately didn't take into account some real-world issues.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Aluminum cases is nothing but marketing gimmick

many people believe that aluminum is a superior case material choice but that's absolutely incorrect. Just think about it. By using aluminum, Apple loses the ability to have a lot of features in the phone, namely NFC, wireless charging, replaceable battery and memory cards (not that iOS can handle memory cards but more advances mobile OSes can). The shiny aluminum case does attracts the buyers but then what's the first thing they do? They put iPhone in the plastic case. Apparently most people do prefer plastic to aluminum after all.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
No ****.

You'd have a severe mental illness if you think Apple will go from metal to plastic.

I'd be disgusted.
A product's quality is not simply based on whether it's plastic or not. There are plenty of crap products made from aluminum.

"Carbon fiber" is actually mostly plastic. It's full name is Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer (CFRP). I think you'll agree that lots of high quality products are made from CRFP.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
many people believe that aluminum is a superior case material choice but that's absolutely incorrect. Just think about it. By using aluminum, Apple loses the ability to have a lot of features in the phone, namely NFC, wireless charging, replaceable battery and memory cards (not that iOS can handle memory cards but more advances mobile OSes can). The shiny aluminum case does attracts the buyers but then what's the first thing they do? They put iPhone in the plastic case. Apparently most people do prefer plastic to aluminum after all.
Mine's in bamboo. :p Would love to see them make a bamboo iPhone. Of course, it would probably have some kind of polymer finish so... ;)

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
A design issue is not synonymous with bad build quality. The cause of antenna-gate was Apple attempting to come up with a cutting-edge antenna design - one that unfortunately didn't take into account some real-world issues.

Bad design is not bad quality :eek:
Can I say you are a Apple fanboy?

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
No ****.

You'd have a severe mental illness if you think Apple will go from metal to plastic.

I'd be disgusted.

Yes!

Despite your obvious disdain for plastic, it's a very good material.

It's all a matter of choosing the right type, and working with the proper precision and quality standards.

Done right as Apple is perfectly capable of doing, I personally would prefer a plastic iPhone.

kdarling

macrumors P6
People once got around via horse and buggy too, but we've evolved beyond that as well.

The smartphone world had already evolved to 3G in 2007. That didn't stop Apple from bringing out a 2G-only phone in order to maximize their profits.

However, these days even the under $150 non-contract phones have 3G, GPS, videocam, and expandability with 32GB microSDs that you can get for under $30. I think the memory upgrade thing alone will be hard for Apple to compete with in emerging markets (assuming they try to keep their present method of charging $100 per $15 of memory built-in).

Plastic would be a step backwards and just because it was popular 4 years ago doesn't mean that it would be met with the same acceptance today.

Why not? Can you name a currently popular phone in the under $200 target market range that doesn't have a plastic or polycarbonate body?

Last edited:

absurdamerica

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
Apparently you havent read the news about carriers are selling out of preoders of the new Blackberry 10. I suggest you start to read before posting your info.

http://bgr.com/2013/01/10/blackberry-10-demand-analysis-287451/

Hey, I just sold out of my handmade birdhouses I put together in my garage! I only built 2 but I SOLD OUT!!!

So with that sarcastic bit out of that way let me point out that not only are there ZERO details about this handset (These consumers are apparently pre-ordering blind, which is an odd approach) but we have no idea how many of them are actually being produced.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
So in other words, a bigger iPhone is coming, but it's not cheaper. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I want a screen like the Galaxy SIII. I don't have little dainty hands like some people who complained about that size of a phone.

I have pretty good sized fingers and still don't want a screen that big in a smart phone. It's not practical imo

solamar

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
No, the 'antenna' problem wasn't just Apple

You forgot the antenna problem :apple:

Samsung GSII phones, Motorola Driod X, etc..all had same issue. Funny, media sensationalized it, Apple had to respond(apples fault right?) no.. But they sure had to fix it, even though several generations of older phones had the same problem..

Someone wanted to 'Gate' the issue for sensationalism's sake.

I had an iPhone 4, my parents did, my co-workers did.. never had the issue any worse than others with Samsung or Motorola Phones of the time. my GSII, when I read about it, had the EXACT same issue in the lower corner in-fact, when I tested it on my new iPhone 4. I was worried when I was switching to the iPhone..

It's all hype imo unless it impacts me directly now.. Everything is just to get traffic clicks and stock manipulation as far as I'm concerned. Cynic.. I know. :confused:

Tigger11

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Rocket City, USA
its called losing over 200billion of market Cap since Time Cook to the CEO position and they must be able to compete.

This is a silly post, when Tim Cook took over on Aug 24, 2011, Apples stock price was at $374, the price today is $517, which means that the stock has gained, not lost money since he took over. The stock isnt at the highest it has been with Tim as CEO, but its over $100 more valuable per share then when he took over and Apple is setting records every quarter (and is likely to set more this quarter). Apples biggest problem is they can't make enough items to provide to their customers, this is a problem 99.9% of companies dream of having and its the biggest problem with Apple. Too many orders, not enough of the new product, every quarter its a new product, but the same problem, we sold everything we had, we could have sold more if we just could have gotten them done. Apple isnt at its highest price ever at the moment (but that has occurred when Tim was in charge), but its substantially higher then when he took over, they are selling record number of products and banking record amounts of money all while now providing a dividend to the stockholders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.