Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
similar to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3PDXmYoF5U

Should be pretty straight forward technically speaking.

Here's the thing ...... I have no experience/training making music, I have no music theory background.

Where can I start in order to develop a mental image that will help to create a piece such as in the video?

thanks

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
similar to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3PDXmYoF5U

Should be pretty straight forward technically speaking.

Here's the thing ...... I have no experience/training making music, I have no music theory background.

Where can I start in order to develop a mental image that will help to create a piece such as in the video?

thanks

The music video you linked to is pretty straightforward if you have a solid foundation in music theory. If you're serious about this, I suggest you get this textbook and just sit and read through it. It's a great beginner's guide (not calling you an idiot ;) That's just the name of the book). It's not expensive too, which is a good thing.

After that, you'll have a better idea of why the music sounds the way it does. When you have a good music theory foundation, play around with Garageband again, and learn how to play the different instruments and how to use the built in sequencer.

Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you need any help along the way.

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
yeah the music video you linked is an electro house production.
i recommend doing a bit of research on EDM (electronic dance music) or more specifically on electro house if that's what you wish to produce.

But just a heads up, no track produced on garageband for ipad is ever gonna sound like that. That app is way too limited as to what the synths can actually do, and the editing isn't quite there yet.
But there are other apps which serve as a DAW (Digital audio workstation) which may allow you to achieve some of the sounds in the song you posted.

But like recommended above, learn basic music theory before trying to produce anything because it wont be anything somebody would want to listen to. ;)

PRPS

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
You can always save the project file and email it to yourself and open it in GarageBand or Logic on a Mac. But remember to compress the project file into a zip first. Then attach the zipped file to the email. For some reason I've heard the project file won't be able to be opened if not compressed as zip

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.