Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

01ds650

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Hi,
First a little background. I own a Macbook Pro, an iPad, a few iPods and Apple TV. The odd ball out was my phone. Up until three weeks ago I've had BBs and a couple of HTC Androids.

I always considered iphones to be inferior to Android phones. However, I told myself if Apple made a 4g iphone with at least a 4inch I'd consider it.

Well they did and I finally bought an iphone5. It came down to this iphone5 32gb & the new HTC DNA. The DNA only comes with 16gb for now & the 5inch screen while the best Ive seen is about at 1/2 inch too big.

So a few things first there are some things I like about the iphone. Although spec'd lower than Androids its still fast & responsive. The screen although not a 4.3-4.5 perfect size to me is good. The camera colors reproduction is really nice. The call quality & speaker are good. The construction of it is top notch. The ability to photostream & photoshare to my other devices & my sons devices/windows pc along with my moms ipad & windows pc is great for trading pictures easily.

The downside seems to be things I like alot though. I kind of feel like this phone should have Playskool written on it.

Maybe I just dont know how to do these things so I thought I'd come here for help.

The imessage & texting app has got to be the most basic boring text program I've seen since my LG 4400 flipphone. It seems unless I jailbreak my iphone (which I understand isnt possible with iOS 6?) I can't have a good text app like Handcent. The stock HTC text app while not as good as a BB is also far superior.

TEXTING:
How do I schedule a sms or mms for delayed delivery, say like 6 hours from now?
It seems I cant attach a sound file?
Is there a way to attach a sound & pic together in a text?
How do I make & select a group from the contacts? Meaning I make one selection that includes 12 people in that group?
How do I lock & save texts in the app?

NOTIFICATIONS:
Is there a way to make the notification show at the top of the info bar like on an Android until I check them so they dont disappear in 3 seconds automatically?

ALARM:
What is the best alarm app? I've tried a few & they are nowhere close to being as good as Alarm Clock Pro on Android.

GIF:
Power GIF is the best GIF app I've found on Android, is there one as smooth on iOS? I can't seem to find one.

RINGTONES:
On an Android you download one of a couple Ringtone maker apps & cut a song into a ringtone of say 20 seconds. It stores on your phone then where you can assign it, or email it or text it. I haven't found this to be possible on the iphone, Am I not doing something right?

Some other things, is there a way to easily toggle to GPS on & off from a home screen & not go into the menu list? I understand the iphone doesn't do widgets but on an HTC you have widget toggles or just pull down the banner.

What about background changes other than just a picture?

Is there an app or a setting that allows profiles for people, places & times?
For instance after 10pm only phone calls from family ring. Or at a certain location (school for instance) the phone goes silent.

Thanks for the help. I'm sure there are things I'm forgetting. I'll post them when they come to me. I guess if someday Android figures out how to sync pics easily across iOS/Android/Windows platforms without a 3rd party app like Dropbox I'd stick with Android & this wouldn't be an issue. Until then I'm trying to live with this phone. Luckily I bought it off contract so I can sell it off at any time.

Thanks guys.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I'll try and answer the ones I have knowledge of. See my replies below.

The imessage & texting app has got to be the most basic boring text program I've seen since my LG 4400 flipphone. It seems unless I jailbreak my iphone (which I understand isnt possible with iOS 6?) I can't have a good text app like Handcent. The stock HTC text app while not as good as a BB is also far superior.

TEXTING:
How do I schedule a sms or mms for delayed delivery, say like 6 hours from now? You can't. Not with the stock SMS app. Until there's a jailbreak available, this isn't an option.

How do I lock & save texts in the app? Again, you can't. The only thing you can do is back up your phone through iTunes at a regular interval so your SMS are backed up. But you can't save or lock individual text messages.

NOTIFICATIONS:
Is there a way to make the notification show at the top of the info bar like on an Android until I check them so they dont disappear in 3 seconds automatically? I feel like I'm a broken record, but again, until there's a jailbreak, you can't have status bar icons like Android. Your notifications should show up in the Notification Center, though. But I'm like you, I like status bar icons.

RINGTONES:
On an Android you download one of a couple Ringtone maker apps & cut a song into a ringtone of say 20 seconds. It stores on your phone then where you can assign it, or email it or text it. I haven't found this to be possible on the iphone, Am I not doing something right? This one I'm not certain on, but I believe you have to "make" ringtones using iTunes and then sync your phone. AFAIK, you can't do this directly from the phone itself.

Some other things, is there a way to easily toggle to GPS on & off from a home screen & not go into the menu list? I understand the iphone doesn't do widgets but on an HTC you have widget toggles or just pull down the banner. Nope. You have to jailbreak the phone to get this functionality.

What about background changes other than just a picture? I'm not sure what you mean by this. Maybe a little more info will give us an idea? You can set any image as your wallpaper, either through the Photos app or in Settings under Wallpaper.

For instance after 10pm only phone calls from family ring. Or at a certain location (school for instance) the phone goes silent. The only thing the iPhone has is the Do Not Disturb function in Settings. But, again, as far as I know, without a jailbreak, it isn't possible to have profiles.

Take these answers with a grain of salt. I've been out of the iPhone game for a couple of months now (I'm using Android exclusively for now), but I've been around iPhones since the 3GS/4S. There may be some solutions to some of these problems that I don't know about.

01ds650

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Well that's pretty terrible news since all your answers were basically that's an Android thing....

So how do you feel have owned both? Just wondering.

powerwagon

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2013
Well that's pretty terrible news since all your answers were basically that's an Android thing....

So how do you feel have owned both? Just wondering.

I've been diehard Android since the original Droid and occasionally get bored and try different phones. I left and tried both the iPhone 4 and 4s and that lasted about 2 months with each. I just never felt the same with the iPhone as I did with Android. I really wanted to like it, but I just felt like I was renting someone's phone...like it wasn't personalized for me (with all the stuff you mentioned and more of course). With Android, I can basically set it up almost exactly how I want from app to app and it feels like MY phone. If you're a true Android fan, the iPhone (in its current state anyway) will never work.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hi,
First a little background. I own a Macbook Pro, an iPad, a few iPods and Apple TV. The odd ball out was my phone. Up until three weeks ago I've had BBs and a couple of HTC Androids.

I always considered iphones to be inferior to Android phones. However, I told myself if Apple made a 4g iphone with at least a 4inch I'd consider it.

Well they did and I finally bought an iphone5. It came down to this iphone5 32gb & the new HTC DNA. The DNA only comes with 16gb for now & the 5inch screen while the best Ive seen is about at 1/2 inch too big.

So a few things first there are some things I like about the iphone. Although spec'd lower than Androids its still fast & responsive. The screen although not a 4.3-4.5 perfect size to me is good. The camera colors reproduction is really nice. The call quality & speaker are good. The construction of it is top notch. The ability to photostream & photoshare to my other devices & my sons devices/windows pc along with my moms ipad & windows pc is great for trading pictures easily.

The downside seems to be things I like alot though. I kind of feel like this phone should have Playskool written on it.

Maybe I just dont know how to do these things so I thought I'd come here for help.

Ok, lets begin. No, jailbreaking iPhone OS 6 is not possible currently.

TEXTING:
How do I schedule a sms or mms for delayed delivery, say like 6 hours from now?
It seems I cant attach a sound file?
Is there a way to attach a sound & pic together in a text?
How do I make & select a group from the contacts? Meaning I make one selection that includes 12 people in that group?
How do I lock & save texts in the app?

1. You can't
2. You can't only video; however, a recorded file using the voice recording app is possible.
3. Possible, same message multiple inserts
4. Can't, have to write out names or number in the "To" field.
5. All texts are saved there, unless you delete them. Also, the iPhone does backups to the cloud if you enabled iCloud.

NOTIFICATIONS:
Is there a way to make the notification show at the top of the info bar like on an Android until I check them so they dont disappear in 3 seconds automatically?

No

ALARM:
What is the best alarm app? I've tried a few & they are nowhere close to being as good as Alarm Clock Pro on Android.

Uhm, I don't think the Apple stock alarm is that bad. Only con is unable to choose Snooze options.

GIF:
Power GIF is the best GIF app I've found on Android, is there one as smooth on iOS? I can't seem to find one.

Can't help here.

RINGTONES:
On an Android you download one of a couple Ringtone maker apps & cut a song into a ringtone of say 20 seconds. It stores on your phone then where you can assign it, or email it or text it. I haven't found this to be possible on the iphone, Am I not doing something right?

It was once possible via iTunes, now you can only buy premade ringtones.

Some other things, is there a way to easily toggle to GPS on & off from a home screen & not go into the menu list? I understand the iphone doesn't do widgets but on an HTC you have widget toggles or just pull down the banner.

No. You can pull down the banner for Notification Center, thats about it

What about background changes other than just a picture?

Just pictures

For instance after 10pm only phone calls from family ring. Or at a certain location (school for instance) the phone goes silent.

Yes, Do Not Disturb. Although it is not location based.

Thanks for the help. I'm sure there are things I'm forgetting. I'll post them when they come to me. I guess if someday Android figures out how to sync pics easily across iOS/Android/Windows platforms without a 3rd party app like Dropbox I'd stick with Android & this wouldn't be an issue. Until then I'm trying to live with this phone. Luckily I bought it off contract so I can sell it off at any time.

Thanks guys.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Holy trolls.

First off, you own an iPad, but you don't know the answer of half these questions?

Second, its never a good idea to own products using different OS's. The ecosystem they are using is half of their usefulness.

Third, people commenting who have just joined today.

This thread is troll bait

powerwagon

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2013
Holy trolls.

First off, you own an iPad, but you don't know the answer of half these questions?

Second, its never a good idea to own products using different OS's. The ecosystem they are using is half of their usefulness.

OH NO!...someone responded (me) that just joined today! The travesty...the unmitigated gaul I must have to do such a thing. How would you propose someone build up there post counts without actually posting anything? Come on man

01ds650

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
slffl,
Alot of my questions are based on the text app. Does the non network tied ipad text ? If so please elaborate, if not why can't someone ask questions about two devices that have seperate features? Also, I want the do not disturb feature setup on my iphone to squelch calls at locations and times. Will my ipad make phone calls? please elaborate.

I could care less when someone registered. Hell for all I know the guy who registers this hour could be some type of iOS genius.

Thanks to those who try and help.

Powerwagon,
I feel alot like you. The iphone does alot of nice things. But coming from an Android, you mostly notice the things it doesn't do.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I've been diehard Android since the original Droid and occasionally get bored and try different phones. I left and tried both the iPhone 4 and 4s and that lasted about 2 months with each. I just never felt the same with the iPhone as I did with Android. I really wanted to like it, but I just felt like I was renting someone's phone...like it wasn't personalized for me (with all the stuff you mentioned and more of course). With Android, I can basically set it up almost exactly how I want from app to app and it feels like MY phone. If you're a true Android fan, the iPhone (in its current state anyway) will never work.

Totally agree. I was a die hard iPhone guy, years ago. First week buyer of the original iPhone, and iPhone 3G. Then tried the Nexus-One back on release, and haven't looked back, having owned every Nexus phone since.

I try my families iPhone's since then, and they seem so limited, and outdated to me. Too small screen, no customization, no widgets, can't be used as a portable hard drive.

Simple things like changing from the stock keyboard. On Android, if I don't like the keyboard, I can download for free a whole new different keyboard, and have the options for different themes and colors, and text type. Why can't Apple offer such a simple option ? You are stuck with what they give you, you better like it, and deal with it :rolleyes:

I would happily come back to an iPhone, with a 4.3" screen, and an overhauled iOS, adding widgets, and some customization.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
OH NO!...someone responded (me) that just joined today! The travesty...the unmitigated gaul I must have to do such a thing. How would you propose someone build up there post counts without actually posting anything? Come on man

And what are a true Android fan such as yourself doing in the iPhone forum, after you've determined the iPhone in its current state will never work for you?

jdre

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2013
Very inexperienced even with my droid, but when I got the iphone (good camera, whole family on iphones so should get some assistance... not) have been frustrated by many of these same problems:

Notifications especially: why should I have to turn on screen to see notifications?

Keyboard: I feel like I am writing on a doll typewriter. Why no Swype?

Contact list: why is it so challenging to look at a contact without inadvertently calling the number? Why can I not switch from a text to a phone call without exiting texting, entering phone app, searching for contact and calling? Have text from "unknown" and no freaking way to find their phone number to call them!!

Searching contact list: why if I search for "Erin" does it offer all my "Erins" but if I mistakenly choose one, I cannot return to the search but instead see this "Erin" in the contact list sorted by last name instead of by "Erin."

Dialer: Why can I not start dialing the number and have phone autofill, as this is an excellent way to search contacts. Why can I not start spelling the name of the contact in the dialer, and have phone autofill?

Essentially, why is iphone so inferior to droid? I am a novice but even I feel treated like a child who does not know how to handle a phone.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i feel like this is a troll post?

you say you have an iPad but yet this is all news to you? sounds like u were better off using an android

(not that your points especially the text message once arent stuff id really like)

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
For an alarm clock app, I like iHome + Sleep. It's designed to be used with an iHome dock, but it works even if you don't have one. I like the fact that I can set what I fall asleep to - music from my phone's music library, iHome Zen sounds (these can be downloaded using the iHome Zen app, which costs money. When you buy the app, you get some free sounds. If you want more, you'll have to pay for them.), and any online radio stream that is available for listening via the free TuneIn Radio app. You can even wake up to music from any of these sources. The app will even tell you how many hours of sleep you get, on the average.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Very inexperienced even with my droid, but when I got the iphone (good camera, whole family on iphones so should get some assistance... not) have been frustrated by many of these same problems:

Notifications especially: why should I have to turn on screen to see notifications?

Keyboard: I feel like I am writing on a doll typewriter. Why no Swype?

Contact list: why is it so challenging to look at a contact without inadvertently calling the number? Why can I not switch from a text to a phone call without exiting texting, entering phone app, searching for contact and calling? Have text from "unknown" and no freaking way to find their phone number to call them!!

Searching contact list: why if I search for "Erin" does it offer all my "Erins" but if I mistakenly choose one, I cannot return to the search but instead see this "Erin" in the contact list sorted by last name instead of by "Erin."

Dialer: Why can I not start dialing the number and have phone autofill, as this is an excellent way to search contacts. Why can I not start spelling the name of the contact in the dialer, and have phone autofill?

Essentially, why is iphone so inferior to droid? I am a novice but even I feel treated like a child who does not know how to handle a phone.
How are you looking at a contact and dialing their number inadvertently? Haven't really seen that happen when you select a contact and look through the information.

When you are in a text message from someone, simply scroll to the top of the conversation (you can just tap or double-tap the status bar with the clock on top of the screen for a shortcut to quickly scroll up) and use the "Call" button that's there at the top of the conversation.

If you have a message from someone "Unknown" then it seems that person isn't in your contact list and doesn't seem to have caller ID available, so how exactly would you expect to to find their number using any phone, if that's how they would show up anywhere?

When searching the contact list and then accessing a contact from the resulting search you can simply use the "Search" back button on the top left of the screen to get back to your search results and see other contacts. As for contact sorting, you can change how the contact list is sorted as well as displayed (those are two different settings) if you go to the Mail, Contacts, Calendars section of the Settings app and check contact-related options there.

Seems like quite a few of these "issues" aren't really issues but simply lack of exploration and/or use. So, with Swype and some dialer enhancements really the only things left on that list, those make the phone somehow actually "so inferior"?

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
i feel like this is a troll post?

you say you have an iPad but yet this is all news to you? sounds like u were better off using an android

(not that your points especially the text message once arent stuff id really like)

You can call from a text, the guy is just trolling (just tap the status bar and it will take call facetime and contact list options)

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Holy trolls.

This. The end.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
This is someone who really needs a relationship that's not a phone. For the record android is buggy, laggy, plastic garbage. Except for the one that's if your hand is a perfect 4 cm from the screen and in the right spot lets you swipe the screen. That my friends is pure jeanious.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It's quite disappointing that people are calling this a troll post based on the fact this guys owns an iPad. Lets see...

He asks about texts. While iPad does allow for iMessage, I would wager those who don't actually have an iPhone don't use iMessage much. Why? I don't know about you, but I use messages on the go. I wouldn't use iMessage if the only devices I owned that could receive them (imac and ipad) sat at home all day.

He asks about profiles. Have any of you really set up do not disturb on your iPad? REALLY? We sure haven't. Because, frankly, it doesn't matter. The iPad sits in the living room. Any messages pushes to it bother nobody. Ever.

He asked about notifications. While I would agree that this is the most likely thing he could have checked on the iPad, maybe he doesn't have his work email set to the iPad. Maybe his works required encryption to his specific device. As such, maybe he isn't receiving notifications on a frequent enough basis to matter?

It seems that this forum shouts troll whenever a person doesn't shout praise and glory for iOS. New users are going to come to a platform and expect to do things they did on the old one. Some of these expectations are pretty reasonable. Calling them trolls is only highlighting your own ignorance.

And to top it off, we are all commenting on a five month old thread. Awesome. :)

/rant

alanamhb

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2013
The ecosystem they are using is half of their usefulness.
5f1.jpg

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It seems the original almost half a year old stuff has already been discussed and addressed (one way or another) decently well originally--months ago--it's more or less the new post from a day or so ago about similar things is what brought this back from the dead.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Removing the option of adding a non bought custom ringtone just smacks of Apple scalping for the extra $$$ that stinks.

----------

This is someone who really needs a relationship that's not a phone. For the record android is buggy, laggy, plastic garbage. Except for the one that's if your hand is a perfect 4 cm from the screen and in the right spot lets you swipe the screen. That my friends is pure jeanious.

Omg is all i can say to describe this post..

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
Holy trolls.

Something I was thinking. Was actually laughing all the way through. I just got myself an Samsung galaxy S4 while I wait for the next iPhone generation. I honeslty must say I love it, hate to admit it since I'm apple fan boy. Hopefully we get improvement on the IOS. Thats all I have to say :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.