Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:36 PM   #1
circa7
macrumors member

How are the Momentus XT Hybrid Drives? Does anyone know their average speed?

Im coming from a windows pc with a SSD that produces 250mb/s and just bought a macbook pro. I'm deciding on a new drive - I need extra space but down want to spend $500 to get it. Since my current SSD isn't BLAZING fast, would I notice that much difference with a momentus?
circa7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Designer Dale
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by circa7 View Post
Im coming from a windows pc with a SSD that produces 250mb/s and just bought a macbook pro. I'm deciding on a new drive - I need extra space but down want to spend $500 to get it. Since my current SSD isn't BLAZING fast, would I notice that much difference with a momentus?
Here's a CNET review of that drive. It only has 8 gigs of flash ram.

http://reviews.cnet.com/internal-har...5089066.html#!

I looked at this when I upgraded my 08 MBP but passed for a Western Digital Scorpio Black and a 128 gig SSD.

Dale
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:55 PM   #3
rampancy
macrumors member

I've got the older 1st Gen 500 GB Momentus XT humming away quite nicely in my 2006 Core Duo MacBook. The paltry 8 GB of Flash is a significant weakpoint of the Momentus XT, and that Flash memory is used by the drive as a read cache; all writes go directly to the hard drive. On the upside it is a 7200 rpm drive, with a healthy 32 MB cache.

In terms of price/performance, it normally doesn't beat out the combo of a decent large hard drive and an SSD, but it is worth looking into if it's on sale; I got mine when one of my local dealers had a $50 off sale; leaving it costing about as much as an equivalent 8 MB 5400 rpm drive.
rampancy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice