Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twitter has updated its Tweetdeck client with a number of new features, including the ability to get Tweet embed code straight from the application, a new predictive typing feature, and "performance upgrades for displaying multiple high-velocity columns".

TweetDeck-1.jpg
Reports The Next Web:
The update includes changes made to the Chrome version of the app before Christmas, and one of the most visual changes is the addition of 'typeahead' when searching, to offer predictions for what you'll be writing. This also acts as a people search, giving you a list of accounts in your Twitter community that match the text entered.
Twitter says there have been more than 90 fixes and updates from the prior version and Twitter power users may want to give the updated app another look.

Tweetdeck is available free on the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Tweetdeck Updated With Predictive Typing and Performance Upgrades

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Who actually still uses Tweetdeck? When they sold it to Twitter it turned into a pile of crap.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
I actually felt like checking this out, although it was a while since I used Tweetdeck.

Turns out it wasn't available in my country's Mac App Store. Okay...

(Why isn't a mere Twitter client available worldwide?? A hidden performance as an easter egg in it, and lacking worldwide music rights? :p)

Edit: Weird. Works now that I didn't use the article link and actually searched in the store here.

Last edited:

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Just curious as to what the point of tweetdeck is when I have twitter built into OSX... I can super easily tweet and I'm notified of anyone mentioning me. Is it just to read stuff of those you follow?

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I think I'll stick to tweetbot. Was expensive but so worth it.

And yet another what looks like a sponsored article from MacRumors.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I'm sticking to the pre-Twitter owned version unless someone convinces me otherwise.

While I liked the additional options of the old version much better, there are some reasons to goto the new version. First and foremost being that the new version offers live streaming rather than the constant API calls which limit the number of updates, messages, replies, and DMs per hour. Also there have been a number of security fixes since then. Additionally there are better search and other features at this point.

Does suck that many of the more advance features went away when Twitter bought TweetDeck.

calsci

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
I guess to rephrase my original post. Tweet deck keeps getting updated but where are the updates for the original twitter application for the Mac. It still doesn't have retina support.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
...and who exactly would be sponsoring the post, exactly? :rolleyes:

I think he's referring from the outgoing links. Mac rumours uses viglink which converts all outgoing links to tracking links with affiliate code embedded in them.

It basically means if viglink can pick up an affiliate program for the site macrumors links to, it makes both viglink and macrumors money.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I've tried both Tweetdeck and the regular Twitter app and find that the regular app is far superior. It's more efficient on screen usage, faster, and doesn't have that kludge where you have to create an additional account to use it.

Yet Twitter has completely neglected the regular app. They haven't even added sponsored tweet support, which would expect the company would want.

What's the deal? Why did they even BUY Tweetie if they weren't going to keep it updated?

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
Guess I'm the odd one out in this thread! I use TweetDeck all the time and love it. TweetDeck is one of the only Twitter clients I've used where I can look at all my favourite #'s in one place to see what's going on with the stuff I love! Takes full advantage of a nice big display and I love it! This kind of this is what Apple had in mind when starting to push truly full screen Apps in Lion. Awesome stuff and glad it's continuously updated.

DeltaHF

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
I think he's referring from the outgoing links. Mac rumours uses viglink which converts all outgoing links to tracking links with affiliate code embedded in them.

It basically means if viglink can pick up an affiliate program for the site macrumors links to, it makes both viglink and macrumors money.
Not really, he was just so busy trying to take a shot at MacRumors for earning revenue he forgot to actually make a coherent point. It's a free update for a free application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.