Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:00 PM   #51
Estes
macrumors member

I'm an original backer and have been looking forward to this for awhile. My car uses bluetooth to play songs on my iTunes over the radio; I wonder how having my iPhone linked to two devices at one time will work. Does anyone know if that drains the battery even quicker?
Estes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:27 PM   #52
drummingcraig
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
I think this one beats it.

Not for $400 it doesn't.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:41 PM   #53
carlgo
macrumors 68000

I was just playing with an inherited watch, over 100 years old, with lots of nifty gears and moving things. What a work of industrial art! It is a Waltham and there are photos of the factory with hundreds of skilled Americans sitting at workstations, no cubicles, making these not an assembly line either, each one made pridefully by one person.

It still works and keeps good time despite not being wound in at least 50 years.

A electronic watch, made in China, worthless electronic debris in a couple of years...looks like it cost $12 at WallofChinaMart...just not the same thing.

And would any good watch be called a "Pebble"? Sound like a cartoon or sugary breakfast food for unparented children. Well, maybe it is.

What watch would the Most Interesting Man in the World wear? I don't know, but it would have gears and be made of blingy metal.
carlgo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:50 PM   #54
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingcraig View Post
Not for $400 it doesn't.
If you seen the watch thread in the photo section, people spend around $400 on a watch. Why not spend $400 on something like this? I think the Pebble looks ugly. But to each his own, it's not my money. I just want to read the reviews.
dinggus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:13 PM   #55
snoozy355
macrumors newbie

It's been a long wait.

I'm hoping it's not like the MetaWatch launch, which was another Bluetooth-capable watch launched on KS (I backed both).

Great watch and the hardware was delivered on time, but sadly the software has been beta quality and we're still waiting for an upgrade to unlock promised functionality.
snoozy355 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:23 PM   #56
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
I think this one beats it.

It's been getting really abysmal reviews.
Cougarcat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:24 PM   #57
TLewis
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
It's been getting really abysmal reviews.
(Note: above, "It" refers to the $400 "I'm watch", and not the pebble.)

On the other hand, Engadget seems to really like the pebble: http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/09/p...ands-on-video/
TLewis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:00 PM   #58
rdlink
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-klumpp View Post
Not only am I puzzled by the concept of a cheesy electronic watch, what's the point of having a remote screen for my phone a phone that's rarely more than an arm's length away??

Real watches are usually Swiss and are always mechanical. Unless one is training for a marathon, to be caught with something else is an embarrassment.

Dave
One use: On a 35 mile bike ride. My iPhone is in my Camelbak. I want to see my speed, distance and heart rate. I can just glance at the watch. Later in the ride, I get a text. I can look at it to see whether it's worth stopping to reply. Or a phone call. I can see who's calling to see if I want to stop and answer, or even call back right away. That's why I backed it. Will it replace my Movado on work days? No. But it has its uses.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:52 PM   #59
drummingcraig
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
If you seen the watch thread in the photo section, people spend around $400 on a watch. Why not spend $400 on something like this? I think the Pebble looks ugly. But to each his own, it's not my money. I just want to read the reviews.
I understand spending $400 on a designer wristwatch. However does this look $200 nicer/different than the Pebble? I know...to each his own.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:17 AM   #60
TLewis
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by GekkePrutser View Post
Also, they said they'll be making 15000 per day, and there were only 86000 ordered or so as far as I remember, so they should be able to make them all within a week.
Uh, it's 15000 per week, not per day:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...d/posts/346111
It's going to take them several weeks to ship all of the watches to the backers, and they say as much.

----------

Quote:
While the pebble isn't exactly the best-looking watch, I think it's OK.

(Besides, you really need to read the reviews of that "$400 watch". )
TLewis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:04 AM   #61
harlex
macrumors member

I suppose as it is partly the demise of Jessops going into administration that people are using their phones to take pictures, look out Rolex, Cartier etc they now have a watch that acts as a computer as well.

What the hell would one want from this idea after all most have a phone that can do the job.

looking forward to working with my spreadsheet on it and WATCHing my 3 hour HD film, oh I forgot great for field editing a video or what about editing photographs in CS6
harlex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:09 AM   #62
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

I'll wait for the next round of watches to see if they're worth it. The benefits are minimal and the style for most are ugly. This is probably the nicest one I've seen... came close last summer to "investing" to get one early, but decided to wait and see.
Popeye206 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:42 AM   #63
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgo View Post
And would any good watch be called a "Pebble"? Sound like a cartoon or sugary breakfast food for unparented children. Well, maybe it is.
Yeah, and "Apple" sounds like a fruit company. Doesn't stop any of us...
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:10 AM   #64
Blomkvist
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgo View Post
I was just playing with an inherited watch, over 100 years old, with lots of nifty gears and moving things. What a work of industrial art! It is a Waltham and there are photos of the factory with hundreds of skilled Americans sitting at workstations, no cubicles, making these not an assembly line either, each one made pridefully by one person.

It still works and keeps good time despite not being wound in at least 50 years.

A electronic watch, made in China, worthless electronic debris in a couple of years...looks like it cost $12 at WallofChinaMart...just not the same thing.

What watch would the Most Interesting Man in the World wear? I don't know, but it would have gears and be made of blingy metal.
Thank you for your perspective on the digital watch. I backed the Pebble and obviously I am unworthy to own a "true" timepiece. Troll much?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:10 AM   #65
GekkePrutser
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLewis View Post
Uh, it's 15000 per week, not per day:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...d/posts/346111
It's going to take them several weeks to ship all of the watches to the backers, and they say as much.[COLOR="#808080"]
You're right! I didn't realize this. I wasn't able to watch the press conference myself, just watched some live blogs about it so I must have misunderstood.
GekkePrutser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:13 PM   #66
psac
macrumors 6502

This looks SOOOOO much better (in both looks and functionality) than the Coocoo watch from the other day.
psac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:46 PM   #67
RemE
macrumors member

I was onboard early and am looking forward to getting mine. I really like the idea of getting info without having to dig out the phone. I watched the press conf and was pleased with all of the future potential built into the hardware. They initially are using BT 2.1 protocol but have a BT 4 radio in it so hopefully the 1 week run time will get even better as they optimize the setup.

I saw the audio controls and hope that they will also work when a BT headset is also in use? Otherwise wired headset would be needed, hopefully not.

The Italian Im watch looks cool but the price and 24hour runtime plus headphone type jack all don't do much for me in a wrist worn device.
RemE is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:57 PM   #68
Dagless
macrumors Core

I'm really excited for this, especially after reading about the final features (the charge system, magnetometer etc). I just hope it works as well as it should - it should be a great partner device for an iPhone.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:45 PM   #69
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Real watches are usually Swiss and are always mechanical. Unless one is training for a marathon, to be caught with something else is an embarrassment.
If only the swiss incorporated some new technologies into their mechanical watches... like radio control. A fully synchronized and accurate watch is an amazing thing (at least to me).

I really hate ensuring a watch is wound up (kinetic or otherwise) or the fact mechanical watches drift quite a bit.

As for the Pebble, they should have incorporated an induction charger instead. Plugging in a cable every couple of days seems to be such a hassle.
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:59 PM   #70
cfs112
macrumors member

Early reviews look good, I like the concept of an i-Watch, Apple will have this next year after the Apple television
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:28 PM   #71
ultra7k
macrumors regular

Guess since I'm an original backer I should be getting it fairly soon after they start shipping.

Over time i've had doubts about this, and at times wanted to cancel my order (but it was too late) so i'll give it a shot and see what it's about since i've already committed my money to this.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:53 PM   #72
dagger01
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to dagger01 Send a message via Yahoo to dagger01
Lightbulb I'm curious

I just caught this article here and on the place where they got the image from. The thing that struck me was this:

Has one of these "smart watches" ever had enough market to even recoup R&D costs?

I'm going to go do some research on that myself, but every single one of these things has flopped. Sure, they have their fans, but their the target market anyway. The problem is it's never a large enough market to perpetuate a device!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:19 PM   #73
jdusoccer12
macrumors regular

I personally am a backer and I am pretty excited about this device. I am a college student so I am excited to use this while sitting in class to see if it is worth it to dig my phone out to reply to a text I just got.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:46 PM   #74
4mat
macrumors member

Quote:
Not only am I puzzled by the concept of a cheesy electronic watch, what's the point of having a remote screen for my phone a phone that's rarely more than an arm's length away??

Dave
I am a little confused by your point. I wasn't aware that all mechanical watch makers were going out of business and the Pebble would be the only kind of watch for sale anywhere. Oh wait, the Pebble is just another option for consumers and those who don't want one can show this by simply not buying one. Sure glad we worked that out.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:40 AM   #75
ItsWelshy
macrumors regular

Does this run on Android software?

I dont want any of that ***** in my house...

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion