Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:05 PM   #26
Rodster
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsimeon View Post
Here come the moral police. I forgot everyone on here is a gift from God. Get over yourselves. All he said is needed money desperately for his parents in Nigeria and received these as gifts. I've done a lot of craigslists deal and people will sell their items for absolutely dirt low prices bc they need to pay rent. Do I feel bad for them? Of course but there's not much I can do.
There fixed. That's the only thing missing from that sob story.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:58 PM   #27
whoknows87
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: S.Florida
The Price is too good to be true, if it's too good to be true most likely something is off, if I were you I would never take them to an Apple store to be serviced if anything goes wrong. If it was reported stolen ..... it's going to look real bad...
__________________
Our knowledge has made us cynical,our cleverness hard and unkind.We think too much and feel too little:
More than machinery we need humanity;More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness
whoknows87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:02 PM   #28
Hello...
macrumors 6502a
 
Hello...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
KARMA will find you!
Hello... is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:47 PM   #29
Artful Dodger
macrumors 68020
 
Artful Dodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsimeon View Post
Finally a real person. And to people who think I'm a bad person you guy's have no concept of the real world. And most of all he was a decent looking civilian. He did not look like a person with bad intent or some trashy thug.

Moderators - please lock this thread.
I will say I know of a legit person who sells musical gear really cheap, mostly because in certain circles people happen to do stupid things like drink and drive and then get DWI's. Enter I need cash now, will sell my gear cheap as hell be it amps, pedals, guitars and so on to pay the lawyers and get on with life at a huge cost. It's not right and maybe unfair to lowball when buying but the real world also instills common sense too…

Thanks for the laugh about how they looked, I'm guessing you don't do that, judge, like you complain about others questioning you here huh in the cyber world though it is part of the real world? That's fine…just try not to get upset when others do the same and stick to why you enjoy the iPad, Droid and so on so much without adding the back story next time. I really don't think you would find it tasteful if I bragged about your misfortune (the situation that is, not you). That is all anyone here was getting at and that is real world common sense…
__________________
27" iMac, 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB; Quad G-Drive; 12" Wacom Cintiq
Artful Dodger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:04 PM   #30
wknapp0924
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
I recently came across an ad for a 3D 55 inch TV for $750.00, Retail at BB was 1500.00.

She gave me the receipt that showed she purchased it two months earlier, and when I googled her phone number she tried to sell the TV for 1300 a week earlier and then dropped the price on it. I got a great deal and she got the cash she desperately needed.

Side note: She purchased using best buy reward account and actually could have returned the TV because it was in the 60 day window ::Head Slap:: That wasn't my problem, or the fact she left a 64gb thumb drive plugged into the tv...haha. I tried to return thumb drive, but she said to keep it. SCORE!!

Sometimes people just need the cash bad, or maybe they don't. I sold my old Macbook Pro for 200.00 bucks and I could have gotten 500.00 on ebay, but I didn't want to go through the hassle so I just gave it away to someone who was grateful for getting a great deal.

OP probably stolen though...haha
wknapp0924 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:15 PM   #31
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by wknapp0924 View Post
I recently came across an ad for a 3D 55 inch TV for $750.00, Retail at BB was 1500.00.

She gave me the receipt that showed she purchased it two months earlier, and when I googled her phone number she tried to sell the TV for 1300 a week earlier and then dropped the price on it. I got a great deal and she got the cash she desperately needed.

Side note: She purchased using best buy reward account and actually could have returned the TV because it was in the 60 day window ::Head Slap:: That wasn't my problem, or the fact she left a 64gb thumb drive plugged into the tv...haha. I tried to return thumb drive, but she said to keep it. SCORE!!

Sometimes people just need the cash bad, or maybe they don't. I sold my old Macbook Pro for 200.00 bucks and I could have gotten 500.00 on ebay, but I didn't want to go through the hassle so I just gave it away to someone who was grateful for getting a great deal.

OP probably stolen though...haha
I agree with your idea...who are we to say a person selling it didn't just need the cash and exhausted all their options elsewhere and the only thing they came up with is...hey, I have these two perfectly good iPads and I know I'll get the cash I need badly today if I put them up for so cheap....
mpayne2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:44 PM   #32
RenoG
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
this reminds once I was looking for an old 80's mini truck a few years back.
I ran across this self admitted scroned recently divorced women selling a new 2008 Tacoma 4x4 ext cab for $4,500 OBO (I called I wanted to know if it was a type'o, nope). Even though I had the cash in full I was totally freaked out by the way-to-stupid-good-to-be-true deal from someone I didn't know.

I don't know maybe I totally rejected the deal of the century I'll never know, but I didn't loose any sleep over it nor do I regret the possible lost because the alternative would have been a night terror come true.
RenoG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:24 AM   #33
trouble747
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
In most jurisdictions, a charge of receipt of stolen property requires the government to prove knowledge of the stolen nature of the item.

Obviously not the case here. Even highly suspecting something might have been stolen is not "knowledge."

Of course, purchasing goods you believe to be stolen is probably not the best idea. If it turns out the item was stolen and it's traced back to you, you'll be out the item and your money.
trouble747 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:43 PM   #34
taedouni
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
There's no proof that the OP purchased stolen merchandise. As long as he was unaware of the merchandise being stolen, he did not break any law. The OP paid for his iPads. Don't harass him about them.
taedouni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:58 PM   #35
sjinsjca
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsimeon View Post
Here come the moral police.
OP said it wasn't his problem.

Most assuredly it is, if he's committed a crime by receiving stolen goods.
sjinsjca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:20 PM   #36
ob81
macrumors 65816
 
ob81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Send a message via AIM to ob81 Send a message via MSN to ob81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsimeon View Post
Here come the moral police. I forgot everyone on here is a gift from God. Get over yourselves. All he said is needed money desperately and received these as gifts. I've done a lot of craigslists deal and people will sell their items for absolutely dirt low prices bc they need to pay rent. Do I feel bad for them? Of course but there's not much I can do.
I like this post. After being on macrumors for a few years, a gut check post like this comes once every few years.

While it is a good chance the iPads are stolen. There is also a good chance the person did get them as gifts and didn't care for them, so they sold it.
__________________
MBA 13" | iPhone 5 | iPad mini |
www.twitter.com/ob81
ob81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:23 PM   #37
WilliamG
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob81 View Post
I like this post. After being on macrumors for a few years, a gut check post like this comes once every few years.

While it is a good chance the iPads are stolen. There is also a good chance the person did get them as gifts and didn't care for them, so they sold it.
Absolutely no chance. 32GB iPad 4 is $600 + tax. Let's say we forget the tax. It's $1200 for both of them, brand new. Registered only a few days ago, apparently. So they're a couple of days old. If they were gifts, they'd be easily returned. Heck, even if you were DESPERATE, you'd be insane to sell them for $450 for BOTH.

Good grief, people.

Well done on getting a good deal, OP! However, this is NOT the place to tell us, "I bought two iPads for a good price." It doesn't serve any purpose. At all.
__________________
iMac, MacBook Air, Mac mini, iPad, iPhone, 55-11
www.bighugenerd.com
WilliamG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:43 PM   #38
bumblehat
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
I will attest to this story as I myself have sold an iPad 3 32gb for $250 back in May because I needed the money when things took a bad turn in my life. No one else was making any better offers. It happens. I wanted more out of it but couldn't get any bites. Doesn't mean he bought stolen goods at all.
This is the stupidest thread ever, but really - someone received two of them as gifts? LOL. Cmon man.
bumblehat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:19 PM   #39
scottick
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoG View Post
Personally I can care less whether OP ipads were stolen or not as this is just another 'cool story bro' post. I am a huge CL shopper and have been since it went on line. I have come across huge impossible legit deals from folks who were desparate (material things means nothing when you absolutely need cash right now) I've personally sold things at impossible it-must-be-stolen prices myself because something else needed to be taken care of immediately but had no money.
From my experience here's usually when your able to tell if that screaming impossible deal is a stolen item.
Technically, it's I could not care less. "I can care less" implies you, in fact, have room to care whether the iPads were stolen or not. Which contradicts all the rubbish you said after you incorrectly stated your level of caring.
scottick is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:23 PM   #40
brand
macrumors 68040
 
brand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 127.0.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottick View Post
Technically, it's I could not care less. "I can care less" implies you, in fact, have room to care whether the iPads were stolen or not. Which contradicts all the rubbish you said after you incorrectly stated your level of caring.
Finally someone who gets it.
brand is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:48 PM   #41
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
"Hey Johnny, happy New Year! I just talked to your grandmother and she said she got you an iPad identical to the one I got you for Christmas! She said she had to save for so long, but decided that since she loved you so much and how adamant you were about having one of these she could forgo some of her medications, phone bill and cable bills during the fall just to afford the $600 tablet you liked. I'm surprised you didn't tell me you ended getting two of them! I know we have grown apart these past few years and I understand you couldn't make it home this time, but this didn't stop me from feeling you should get an iPad either. So tell me, what are you going to do with your two iPads? Love, Mom"

"Dear Mom, I was so desperate for money I sold them on Craigslist. Unfortunately the internets are so cutthroat these days I had to ask just $450 for the two iPads...sorry I didn't call you, I couldn't bare to tell you I had to part with my gifts. -Johnny"
mpayne2k is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:48 PM   #42
Docd62
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
The problem I have is he didn't care, we should care. Am I the moral police well what's wrong with that. For crime to thrive is not to care. How would the op like it if his stuff was stolen and sold cheap. Has happened to me so I care.

Now these may not be stolen I know several people in the pawn business and I am in the gambling business i/we see lost of people that need a fix (gambling or drugs) and have a credit card go buy things just to turn around and sell them in pawn shops.
Docd62 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:21 AM   #43
trouble747
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinsjca View Post
Most assuredly it is, if he's committed a crime by receiving stolen goods.
...but he didn't, unless he left out the part of the story where the seller informed him the iPads were stolen.
trouble747 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:00 AM   #44
ajsimeon
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Wow didn't know there would be such an uproar on this. Look I understand most people are flaming me for the fact that they think I didn't care if it was stolen or not. If he blatantly said these iPads were stolen which I doubt he ever would then of course I wouldn't touch it because in the end it's not his property to sell and I'd always think the back of my mind it could be taken away from me. However....he never did say that and NOTHING about the transaction seemed fishy at all. It was one of the smoothest craigslist deals I've had because he answered all my questions and stayed in contact with me all day. In the 8 hours from when I first talked to him to when I picked it up he could've searched for more money and left the craigslist ad up. He took it down after we reached an agreement. If you have ever used craigslist it's sometimes a very frustrating experience dealing with people sometimes so when you find someone you think is 100% serious then you just don't want to deal with anyone else. I actually respected the fact that he kept his word which is very hard to find people that actually do that in the craigslist world. In the end though, could it have been stolen? Yes it could've but like I said, in my situation in which the sale went that smooth, there's no reason for me to care to think that. I just think it's so funny that people talk this big game about me being a bad person but if they came across this particular deal I'd love to see them pass on it. Sorry everyone for the post.
ajsimeon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:03 AM   #45
tigres
macrumors 68040
 
tigres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsimeon View Post
Snip...
Sorry everyone for the post.
IMO, you don't owe anyone on here an apology.
__________________
Quicker than two shakes of a lambs tail
tigres is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:08 AM   #46
KdParker
macrumors 68020
 
KdParker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsimeon View Post
Here come the moral police. I forgot everyone on here is a gift from God. Get over yourselves. All he said is needed money desperately and received these as gifts. I've done a lot of craigslists deal and people will sell their items for absolutely dirt low prices bc they need to pay rent. Do I feel bad for them? Of course but there's not much I can do.
This seller must have some nice friends to recieve 2 iPad4s as 'gifts'.
__________________
16g iPhone5s Space Grey; 16g iPhone5 White;
15" retina - MBP 2.6 GHZ 16 RAM;
iPad4 retina
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:13 AM   #47
trouble747
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
This seller must have some nice friends to recieve 2 iPad4s as 'gifts'.
Or maybe family?

My partner's father was handing out iPads at Christmas to his children and stepchildren, without any knowledge as to whether anyone already had one, was going to receive one as a gift elsewhere, even wanted one to begin with, etc. Not out of the realm of possibility.
trouble747 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:13 AM   #48
KdParker
macrumors 68020
 
KdParker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqtotheman View Post
To all you people that are saying "he/she needed money and was desperate" , give me a break!

If someone was desperate they could get 350-400 each for a 32gb ipad 4!!! People would jump all over that deal.

To say they weren't stolen is foolish and immoral.
That was my thought too.
__________________
16g iPhone5s Space Grey; 16g iPhone5 White;
15" retina - MBP 2.6 GHZ 16 RAM;
iPad4 retina
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:14 AM   #49
Docd62
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
The fact he took the ad down is very fishy for one and these people who steal and sell on craiglist are very good at what they do and know what to say and where to meet. But the fact you say you didn't care is the problem. You wanted to get the find of Craigslist that you had blinders on and would over look things. They know this, that why they sell so cheap.

I hope they weren't stolen and hope you did get a great find but I just wish you cared. And yes I would walk away and have.
Docd62 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:16 AM   #50
KdParker
macrumors 68020
 
KdParker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by trouble747 View Post
Or maybe family?

My partner's father was handing out iPads at Christmas to his children and stepchildren, without any knowledge as to whether anyone already had one, was going to receive one as a gift elsewhere, even wanted one to begin with, etc. Not out of the realm of possibility.
Nothing is really out of the realm of possiblity, but some things are highly unlikely.
__________________
16g iPhone5s Space Grey; 16g iPhone5 White;
15" retina - MBP 2.6 GHZ 16 RAM;
iPad4 retina
KdParker is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Love Pirates? Well, You'll love this Crazy Pirate game too. haris1 iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Feb 17, 2014 01:22 AM
I love Craigslist akshep PowerPC Macs 23 Sep 28, 2013 12:01 AM
Zodiac of Love Horoscope - find the destiny of your love! SaarBaruch iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Feb 2, 2013 05:23 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC