Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
We're getting to the point where people's grandmothers are going to be starting up subscription music services...

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Unles apple plans on adding a spotify like service where we can CHOOSE what songs we want then no thanks on and service from apple

Why the hell would I want to pay apple for a pandora radio program?

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
So much hate on beats....
I got a pair of white solo hd's for my birthday and they are good, comfortable, and lightweight. I also have some audio technicas I use for logic but those are monitors and sound better than the beats....but not by much. I think they get a lot of hate because of their price but it's like paying for designer jeans, you're paying for the name on the jeans!!

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
If Apple launch a curated service where we don't get to pick the tracks I'm in.
What can say I'm old have a largish music collection but the growth has slowed as I have less contact with young'ns who do a bit of filtering of new music and improve the odds of me hearing stuff I might like for the time invested.

To me the Ideal would be a service that built a day long playlist out of music I do own mixed with some it thinks I might like. Let me chance the mood by injecting tracks "Up Next". Don't even if mind if Siri puts on her best Radio announcers voice to introduce what's up for the hour.

Ok maybe I'd like a bit of track selection. I mean I'd like to be able to nominate artists and bands I've been hearing about. I think Music is were Apple could get social right, even though ping has a complete joke. I mean music social should have an audio interface.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Yup... wearing my wireless beats I got about a week ago right now. Squeezing the hell out of my ears.

Originally I was looking at the Beats Studio headphones but they were very plasticy and several of them were broken at Best Buy. The Solos were all broken at every store I went to including the Apple store. At that point I didn't want the Studios. I ended up buying the Bowers and Wilkins P5's and have never been happier. The Beats Pro's that Jimmy Iovine is wearing here are too big and are very appealing to DJ's but sadly celebrity endorsed products are generally blown up in price to pay the celeb. Just my opinion (and not insult you in any way) but I think the Beats Pros are $150 headphones wrapped in a $250 celebrity endorsed package.

EDIT: to add a bit more:
I didn't care for the sound at all. I think I'm being generous about the $150. :D

Last edited:

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Originally I was looking at the Beats Studio headphones but they were very plasticy and several of them were broken at Best Buy. The Solos were all broken at every store I went to including the Apple store. At that point I didn't want the Studios. I ended up buying the Bowers and Wilkins P5's and have never been happier. The Beats Pro's that Jimmy Iovine is wearing here are too big and are very appealing to DJ's but sadly celebrity endorsed products are generally blown up in price to pay the celeb. Just my opinion (and not insult you in any way) but I think the Beats Pros are $150 headphones wrapped $400 celebrity endorsed package.

Yeah I'm hoping I can return these, haven't overpaid this much since I got my old HP dv9000, that model had a defect where every single ones gpu would overheat after about a year (the warranty) of use. Mine broke about a month out of warranty and by the time the product was recalled, about last year (I got it in 2007) I was out of the time limit.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
So much hate on beats....
I think they get a lot of hate because of their price but it's like paying for designer jeans, you're paying for the name on the jeans!!

I don't like Beats mainly because of all the wanna-be rappers that wear them

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Steve has always been a stickler for money.

He would have been a lousy businessman if he wasn't.

----------

I'm not bothered about the ghetto image. All I wanna know is, dollar for dollar, are those Beats headphones actually a better value than the other big-name competitors like Bose headphones or Sennheiser?

(never tried a Beats headphone before)

zapnyc

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2011
New York
Beats headphones are highly overrated. Their so-called accuracy isn't that accurate. Lots of marketing and style though! At that price point, yippee.

marv08

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2009
I'm not bothered about the ghetto image. All I wanna know is, dollar for dollar, are those Beats headphones actually a better value than the other big-name competitors like Bose headphones or Sennheiser?

Headphones are a rather personal preference, no lab tests will do anything for you, if the damn things are uncomfortable and do not sound right for you.

If you talk about "neutral" headphones, e.g. ones used for monitoring in studios, you can find devices like the KRK "KNS 8400"s that cost maybe less than half of the Beats and totally trash them under any physical aspect imaginable. They are ugly, true. But they easily compete with some devices costing 4 times as much. They are not designed for mobile devices though, they need a real amplifier or sound card or audio interface.

If you want portable, and with an impedance that plays nicely with iPhones, iPads and iPods (or other mobile devices), the Beyerdynamic "T-50p"s are where it's at. There is simply no competitor anywhere in this price range. Still does not mean you will like them.

Just, if you often travel on trains or planes, all that glory may be lost due to ambient noise. The, actually quite terrible, Bose "QC15"s might deliver a better sound in noisy surroundings thanks to their active noise cancellation technology. In quiet surroundings they are simply trash though. I only use mine when flying.

The Beats are not headphones, they are a fashion statement. The sound is terrible and completely unbalanced (far too much bass, everything else mushy and tinny). But, if you happen to like that, nobody can tell you not to.

Seriously, go to a shop that has a good selection and find out what you enjoy. And once you made a decision, do not care what others say or write. It's your music and you have to like it.

iAco

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Do people still wanna-be rappers any more?

Dr Dre, Birdman, Jay-Z, 50 cent

These are just some names with a higher net worth than any of the artists you listen to. Maybe all the artists you listen to combined. They also invested in a lot of ventures outside of music. Dre with Beats. 50 cent with Vitamine Water. Jay-z...

Wiz and Mac are on their way to the top.

The genre you dislike is at the top. And your at the bottom.

Maybe you should learn how to listen to Rap music.

----------

Maybe you're not cool enough for em.

----------

He would have been a lousy businessman if he wasn't.

----------

If you want the best quality go with Bose.

Compared to the 3 you listed, Bose QC15s are best.

I went through the most expensive Beats and Sennheisers. Bose still has the best all around ear headphones.

Most comfortable.
Best noise canellation (noticable).
Very good balance between bass and treble.

Beats has more bass than treble (duh)

Sennheiser is a cheaper Bose, less quality

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007

These are just some names with a higher net worth than any of the artists you listen to. Maybe all the artists you listen to combined. They also invested in a lot of ventures outside of music. Dre with Beats. 50 cent with Vitamine Water. Jay-z...

----------

----------

I went through the most expensive Beats and Sennheisers. Bose still has the best all around ear headphones.

Most comfortable.

Sennheiser is a cheaper Bose? What? Seriously? You're joking, right?

Bose is at the very bottom of the totem pole when it comes to quality. They're so far at the bottom they're fighting with Beats to get a peak out from under the dirt just so someone will notice them.

Sennheiser is light years beyond Bose. Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Grado, AKG.. all names that are so much better than Bose in every way possible that there literally is no comparison between Bose and the other brands.

This: http://intellexual.net/bose.html article is still relevant today. Bose is pure junk and no one would should buy their products. I recently had a car salesman try to push a car with a Bose audio system as a perk. I asked him if he'd knock money off because of the junk audio system pre-installed and he stormed off.

Bose is pure, unadulterated junk.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Another one?

This is gonna turn out to be another "'known' artist tryina to be in the tech industry again" isn' it...

When i read this, i thougt of that same "no named" guy who did that "proposed" attachment camera to the iPhone to get better photos

Its good to see though, i don't believe everything i read.

celo48

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2010
Beats first needs to make headphones that sound good which is the most important reason to buy headphones.

Damian.

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009

----------

----------

Most comfortable.

It may just be your opinion but:
I've never read so much BS in one post before.

bazinga!!

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2012
Belgium
I think it's funny that so many people are bashing on Beats products, it's like everyone hates this product for some reason... Frustrated much? :)

marv08

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2009
I think it's funny that so many people are bashing on Beats products, it's like everyone hates this product for some reason... Frustrated much? :)

Did you know that Beats is an anagram of Betas? Spooky, uh? (Didn't figure that out myself, Deep Throat slipped an envelope under my door.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.