Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
... But i think the lack of retina display on the ipad mini is an absolute non-issue.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I think people moaning haven't actually seen the mini in person.

Its fine and like you say, a non issue.

mariotr87

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
I have seen it in person (and used it quite a bit, a friend of mine has one) and I can't put up with that screen.

Maybe I've been spoiled by other products with retina display, but I just can't stand it. Reading is such a nightmare...

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I can understand the appeal of the mini but after using the retina display on iPad 4 and rMBP I could never be happy with the pixelated small screen on the mini.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
i wonder what computers everyone uses who complain about how "pixelated" the mini is, because ill bet the majority use a lower ppi display

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I have seen it in person (and used it quite a bit, a friend of mine has one) and I can't put up with that screen.

Maybe I've been spoiled by other products with retina display, but I just can't stand it. Reading is such a nightmare...

That's a little dramatic lol
Reading is such a nightmare? You can't be serious

I agree OP, I have had no issues with the display...in fact it's too bright sometimes that I turn it down. Going from the i5 to the Mini is noticeable but doesn't bother me one bit

Saying that though, it's still gonna be nice having a retina mini when available :D

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
... But i think the lack of retina display on the ipad mini is an absolute non-issue.

You're not an idiot; it's just not the most important thing to you.

For many people it is a really important thing.

i wonder what computers everyone uses who complain about how "pixelated" the mini is, because ill bet the majority use a lower ppi display

The difference is that they already have their computer, which they would be purchasing the Mini now. When it come time to upgrade they will probably choose a retina screen computer if one is available for the type of computer they want. You also sit further away from the computer screen than you do the iPad Mini.

Snoosedaddy

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
Colorado Springs
The Mini w/out the Retina display was a deal killer for me. I'm in no rush, as I have the iPad 3rd gen. Definitely amped for a Retina Mini though. My Late 2012 27" iMac has no Retina Display, but I also don't sit 6 inches from the screen. Retina is a must for all portable devices.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
The Mini w/out the Retina display was a deal killer for me. I'm in no rush, as I have the iPad 3rd gen. Definitely amped for a Retina Mini though. My Late 2012 27" iMac has no Retina Display, but I also don't sit 6 inches from the screen. Retina is a must for all portable devices.

6 inches? i hold my iPad and iphone at arms length most of the time, as a result they look almost the same.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It's not pixelated. Not unless you have X-ray vision... :rolleyes:

I'm going to be pedantic, that show something from the page you linked.

"An example of pixelation. The image looks smooth when zoomed out, but when a small section is viewed more closely, the eye can distinguish individual pixels"

While I can't easily see the pixels i can see the resulting artifacts around small text.

----------

Then you, sir, have super eye sight. Congrats.

No I don't. I'm just being honest about what I see. I don't have a Mini so I don't feel compelled to defend it's honor.

----------

6 inches? i hold my iPad and iphone at arms length most of the time, as a result they look almost the same.

That must be really uncomfortable. I hold my iPad 2 a little over a foot away and can see pixel artifacts on small type. On the Mini's I've tried, because the type is smaller I still see those artifacts despite the slightly higher ppi.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
ive just checked out of curiosity, the ppi of the imacs is considerably lower than the ipad. so much so im surprised anyone can read anything on them.

----------

That must be really uncomfortable. I hold my iPad 2 a little over a foot away

why so close? to be a foot away you must be holding it in the air which would be uncomfortable! ill rest it on my lap or the bed which is arms length so im not even really supporting it

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I've never looked at a Retina iPad now somewhat on purpose because I didn't want to be disappointed. However, I don't really have any issues with my mini's display. Sure there are some web pages where I want to actually read an article that I have to expand to read but that is really based on size and not clarity.
I know there will be comments about how do you compare when you haven''t compared but all I'm saying is that my mini display is fine to me. Could it be better - sure everything can be better but I have no problems with the display and what I use the mini for.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
ive just checked out of curiosity, the ppi of the imacs is considerably lower than the ipad. so much so im surprised anyone can read anything on them.

You needa sarcasm tag.

Billboards are usually printed at 25 lpi and no one sees the halftones.

You sit further away from an iMac than you do iPad; therefore, you don't see low ppi artifacts on the imac like you do the iPad Mini.

----------

why so close? to be a foot away you must be holding it in the air which would be uncomfortable! ill rest it on my lap or the bed which is arms length so im not even really supporting it

I'm not one of those people who finds 1.3 pounds to be too heavy to hold. With the smart cover it is easy to hold it with one hand in the air. i have always found that holding something with my arm fully extended is more fatiguing than holding something with my arm bent.

----------

Sure there are some web pages where I want to actually read an article that I have to expand to read but that is really based on size and not clarity.

I don't have to zoom in on browser type on my retina iPhone like I did on my pre-retina iPhones. Legibility of small type is just easier.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
move the ipad further away from your face. would you hold a newspaper so close?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

For some people it isn't a big deal, for other it is. Most annoying are the people who seem to think that looking at a non-retina screen is like using sandpaper on your eyes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.