Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAttack85

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
Gold Coast
Didn't work for me, as there isn't enough detail. I also do not know my pin code for whatsapp, otherwise I might have been able to try to actually login using it.

As I said, it is controlling your iDevice through your comp, you do not need to know your WhatsApp pin. Google VNC and Veency.

We want a WhatsApp Mac App, not a mutilmessenger app and not through VNC. I will continue to try to develop an app on a mac that can do this.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
As I said, it is controlling your iDevice through your comp, you do not need to know your WhatsApp pin. Google VNC and Veency.

We want a WhatsApp Mac App, not a mutilmessenger app and not through VNC. I will continue to try to develop an app on a mac that can do this.

I am aware. I do NOT wish to simply VNC into my Mac. But, unless you didn't read the link, I'll explain again - whatsapp uses XMPP, so any chat service that supports that (aka Adium) can technically login with the right combination of a)user settings, and b)certificates/authentication processes.

Just going to take somebody a while to figure out how to do that :)

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Now I'm getting used to replying to messages from my Mac with the new Messages app, I wish I could do the same for WhatsApp.

MacAttack85

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
Gold Coast
Porting and Virtual Machines

I wonder if iOS could ever be installed as a virtual machine on a mac?

I believe that is it possible (but not on 4.0) to create a Android installation with WhatsApp installed and run it through a virtual machine. Installing WhatsApp on Adium, Trillian or Pidgin would be awesome. Adium has the most potential :)

There is also the http://chameleonproject.org/ which could eventuate and show some promise.

EDIT:I was able to install WhatsApp on my Mac through Windows 7 Bootcamp with the YouWave Android emulator. Works pretty good. Here is how I did it and where to download it from: Installing WhatsApp, Android & Android Apps on PC

Last edited:

dualcyclone

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
London, UK
I wonder now that Apple are making a desktop version of their iMessage app, whether Whatsapp will do the same.

It can't be hard surely.... I've wanted this for ages, since I practically sit at my mac all day, having messages show up on screen would be that much more awesome than on my phone.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Hi guys, pretty old thread here but Ive just found and app called bluestacks (http://bluestacks.com/bstks_mac.html) its a desktop app that has the ability to download and run android apps on a mac (including whatsapp) been using it for a couple of days now and all is well. hope this helps

ss

Installed it and now I'm waiting for my number to verify but it's taking forever and I'm not sure it'll work.

Edit: whatsapp is now working but I have no contacts and no way to input a phone number?

Edit 2: now I open whatsapp on my phone and I have to verify my phone again. This is pointless if you plan on using the same phone number for your mac and phone. And I still don't see how I can start a conversation

Last edited:

MacAttack85

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
Gold Coast
I wonder now that Apple are making a desktop version of their iMessage app, whether Whatsapp will do the same.

It can't be hard surely.... I've wanted this for ages, since I practically sit at my mac all day, having messages show up on screen would be that much more awesome than on my phone.

They do. It is in Beta and works good, I am using it on 10.7 as we speak :) Not sure if the download is available for the messages app though. http://www.apple.com/osx/apps/#messages They refuse to make a desktop version. Ask them and they will say no.

nachikash

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
possible however not entirely feasible or fruitful!

I reached this thread with the same emotion as everyone else already here.

However the application is truly Platform Independent due to the fact it works on/with Phone numbers, and so not very adaptable by desktop/laptop/tablet machines!

It seems un-necessary to provide an Official application for other than Mobile Platforms that don't support SIM Cards (as a business model).

So unless an independent Applications developer is more than willing and they have an Application interface to go with other platforms (Mac/windows)...it's not going to happen.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom

So unless an independent Applications developer is more than willing and they have an Application interface to go with other platforms (Mac/windows)...it's not going to happen.

It's not going to happen regardless, because it requires a SIM card to work (well a mobile number). You can't use your real mobile because Whatsapp only let's you have 1 client per mobile number...

If they provided some sort of web Interface to "plug in" from a computer, now that would be cool! But they won't, so I've given up.

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
I'm feeling everyone on this.

If What's app isn't willing to support us, we should all just drop the app and switch to Skype chat on our mobiles. I think skype is available on iphone, and android phones. Not sure about blackberry.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
With iMessages now letting you use your mobile number across the Mac and iPad, I wish WhatsApp would include some sort of functionality like this too.

Especially useful when at work. If someone iMessages me, I can reply using my computer and no one would know. But WhatsApp, I have to pull my phone out and while my boss wouldn't really care, he'd soon get annoyed if I were pulling it out every 30-60 mins.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I'm feeling everyone on this.

If What's app isn't willing to support us, we should all just drop the app and switch to Skype chat on our mobiles. I think skype is available on iphone, and android phones. Not sure about blackberry.

Sure but how do we convince everyone who uses whatsapp to switch

robertnawfal

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
WhatsApp for Mac

I got my WhatsApp working now:
1. install Bluestacks android emulator:
http://bluestacks.com/bstks_mac.html
2. open bluestacks and find the app store and install the WhatsApp
3. if you dont have a phone with whats up you can add contacts by Go Contact EX app from the app store.
then you are ready to chit chat...
enenthought I think its quite time consuming....

mountainbiker

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2007
London, UK
Is WhatsApp doing themselves a disservice? If iMessage were to expand beyond the bounds of iOS/Mac, Viber, or other -- then you'd probably say goodbye to WhatsApp.

Also I'm a bit surprised had Google. They have chat but no client for iOS. I have been using Tap to Chat app on the iPhone to fill this void.

We have to all carry multiple apps on our phones and laptops as no one app fills the void across the multiple platforms your friends use.

I have been thinking of getting rid of my non-Apple friends. This is probably the best solution until the void is filled. :)

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
As i keep saying -

Friends don't let friends buy Android!

On a more serious note - i don't get what WhatsApp is doing. It's so obvious to have this client extended to the Laptop/PC world.

kkiran

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2007
Windows/Mac client means more people and more money that you need to invest on the servers. I don't think they have a feasible pricing model setup to expand it to the bigger machines.

mizxco

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Yes, with some privacy options.

iMessage are mostly causal talk, Whatsapp group however, are usually down to business.

muffakham

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2015
WhatsApp ID & Pass

I know this is kind of late. But, from a little digging I did on the internet; I was able to find that WhatsApp probably uses Jabber. Your user ID is something like <yourphonenumber>@s.whatsapp.net.
Now, I had also read somewhere that your password is usually your IMEI number. I'm not sure about this piece of information. However, if someone could dig a little more and help us out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.