Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyshaker

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
No man

And yet you bought an ipad 4? No one forces you to buy the newest one each time.

No mate. your right no one forces me to buy something i don't want. but I'm not going to by a older ipad when there is a new one available, am i. and no I'm not going to buy the newest one each time but is it logical to keep releasing a new ipad every 5-6 months and when iOS 8 is out they say its not compatible with my ipad although it would function fine just like Siri and the iPhone 4. and how do you know weather i by the newest item every time???????

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
I think apple should preview iOS 7 with some major features to impress people when they launch these new iPads

My frustration comes from apple's lack of innovation on the software side.

alirz

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2011
Montreal,Canada
Galaxy nexus is as fast as iPhone 5? Who are you kidding?

I have both and the difference is obvious. Don't believe it? Feel free to check the benchmarks.

Btw, iPhone 5 is the fastest phone on the planet currently. Do your homework before posting garbage.

Dude, stop freaking out. Im well aware how high the benchmarks are for the iphone5. im not disputing that.
Im simply saying that i've used the nexus e.g for games and stuff and i did my own real life tests and load times etc were the same. Not to mention a better screen contrast, ability to play all sorts of videos. A 1000% better notification center with toggles etc..dude you seriously cannot say that the nexus is nothing compared to the iphone5. Talk about features and probably any android phone wins. I do love my iphone, but you cant deny the nexus or any phone with stock android OS on it.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
No mate. your right no one forces me to buy something i don't want. but I'm not going to by a older ipad when there is a new one available, am i. and no I'm not going to buy the newest one each time but is it logical to keep releasing a new ipad every 5-6 months and when iOS 8 is out they say its not compatible with my ipad although it would function fine just like Siri and the iPhone 4. and how do you know weather i by the newest item every time???????

Calm down, you are angry because you are scared that future software updates might drop support for your device more quickly

But looking back, older iOS devices are still running nicely and being updated to the latest OS, just without certain new features.

It's just a tablet, you will survive

crossifixio

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2007
London
Its competitive world!

Why do people expect Apple to refresh once a year!! Yes they did that before but so what! Things are moving very quickly! I had the original iPhone then upgraded to 3GS and now I have the 4S. Do I really care about having iPhone 5? No not really. I have an iPad 2 and honestly could not care about what the latest iPad has. Mine is fast and I can use any app I want on it. There are millions of customers out there that Apple wants to use their products. They need to update and have the latest to attract new customers. So enjoy your iOS device and stop moaning. At least you can afford one. Rant over! :D

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Dude, stop freaking out. Im well aware how high the benchmarks are for the iphone5. im not disputing that.
Im simply saying that i've used the nexus e.g for games and stuff and i did my own real life tests and load times etc were the same. Not to mention a better screen contrast, ability to play all sorts of videos. A 1000% better notification center with toggles etc..dude you seriously cannot say that the nexus is nothing compared to the iphone5. Talk about features and probably any android phone wins. I do love my iphone, but you cant deny the nexus or any phone with stock android OS on it.

Yes, stock android is impressive
But the galaxy nexus is possibly one of the worst nexus ever made

The screen is terrible compared to other android phones (pentile, over saturated )
Battery life- 3hr screen time...what a joke

DDaddyx2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
I used to feel like this. I bought an iPad mini a few months ago and I couldn't love it any more than I do now. I don't mind if they put out a newer one in March. If I like it, I'll buy it and sell the old one. That's the great thing about Apple products: their resale value. It's one of the main reason everything I own is Apple-branded.
Excellent point. Every upgrade of an Apple product only costs half the price due to the resale value. I don't have a problem with Apple going to a 6 month cycle. It will be up to the buyer whether the upgrade is worth it. Apple is just offering upgrades, and iOS updates still work with older models.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Nice , this means ill be able to upgrade from my iPad 1 to the iPad mini 1 for next to nothing :D

no need for retina on the mini, i tend to hold my current iPad far enough away that i cant tell the difference between its non-retina screen and the current gens retina display anyway so retina is not a big deal for me.

Bruce Oksol

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
Texas
New business model?

If indeed this is a new business model: to launch when ready, rather than on a set schedule, this is huge.

Currently, Apple fans fall into two groups of complainers: a) Apple takes too long to refresh; and, b) Apple refreshes too often, making products obsolete too soon.

But most folks buying Apple are not Apple fans (unlike the good old days, back in the 80's and 90's). The average gadget buyer doesn't wait around for the "NEXT" best thing. The average gadget buyer is looking for the best product "NOW."

Over time, "re-fresh" will morph into continuous improvement. Yearly roll outs on schedule is a model of the US automobile industry. Someday, hopefully, we will no longer see "version #1, or #2, or #3" -- just simply the iPad.

Whether this is an accurate observation; whether this is a new business model; time will tell.

But Apple is not afraid of risk. Maybe this is how Tim Cook sets himself apart from his predecessor.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
as much as i disliked the mini i had and returned for the 4, I will buy the mini 2 if it has retina for sure. the form factor is great...

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
they will lose so many customers if they keep releasing ipads every 5-6 months until now you knew your device would atleast be the newest for atleast 1 year.... now this just sucks

So what if it's not the newest?
It still does things that you need right? What's the big deal if you skip a generation or 2?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Why isn't anybody questioning this story?? Checks at CES? What the heck is that? :confused:

bumblehat

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago
I've never seen so many jimmies get rustled over something so trivial.

I bought a mini, and I will happily re-sell it (taking a loss) and upgrade to the next mini. It's that great a device.

If I can't afford that, I'll wait and save.

People need to stop taking business decisions by a giant for-profit company so personally. Jesus.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
There just milking people for there money i have just got my ipad 4 about 6 weeks ago and now its going to be outdated by apples new ipads its just getting to much and to stupid to keep realising new ipads with out any major change so what ipad 4 is twice as fast as ipad 3 it doesnt matter no app uses all of the ipad 4 processor power.

Nobody forces you to buy it.

If you buy a new iPad "because its new" you really need to take a long hard look at your priorities in life.

alirz

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2011
Montreal,Canada
Yes, stock android is impressive
But the galaxy nexus is possibly one of the worst nexus ever made

The screen is terrible compared to other android phones (pentile, over saturated )
Battery life- 3hr screen time...what a joke

the last two points are totally not true in real life experience.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Something is pushing this upset in Apple's release cycle. I stick with 12-18 months. Then again pay more attention to Intel, AMD, and nVidia's schedules.

Yup. Healthy competition is finally starting to appear in the tablet market.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
You don't have to upgrade every single time a new iPad comes out. There are still millions of people who don't use an iPad. These updates are for them. Not you. You already gave Apple your money. People who update every time are actually "bonuses".

Stop getting mad that they are releasing products. Get the iPad that works for you and stick with it for a while. Simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.