Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajsimeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
I picked the meeting spot which was inside a Walmart. He wasnt fishy at all or paranoid of cops or anything.

I'm not sure I understand your stance. Is every great deal on Craigslist stolen property? So you walk away from every great deal because you think it's stolen? Well I guess that's fine. More treasures for me then.

The fact he took the ad down is very fishy for one and these people who steal and sell on craiglist are very good at what they do and know what to say and where to meet. But the fact you say you didn't care is the problem. You wanted to get the find of Craigslist that you had blinders on and would over look things. They know this, that why they sell so cheap.

I hope they weren't stolen and hope you did get a great find but I just wish you cared. And yes I would walk away and have.

Docd62

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
So you picking a meeting means nothing I would also let you pick a spot if I was him. This stuff doesn't happen in dark alleys like on TV. These guy know what they are doing and the read the Internet for what people look for. I don't know if they were stolen I hope not and I don't all the details but I already see a couple red flags in what I do know.

I just think people should care and you said you didn't. If everyone cared there would be no market for stolen goods is my point. You know how many times I have seen the post on Craigslist saying I got two for Xmas or my birthday and don't want them for electronics.

I do buy good deals but I ask myself what's wrong with the picture before I buy and I try to stay away from individuals unless they can show proof of ownership. I don't need an electronic that bad. Good luck in your life.

trouble747

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
I just think people should care and you said you didn't. If everyone cared there would be no market for stolen goods is my point.

:confused:

Stolen goods must be sold well below cost, or not at all? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

I routinely sell items on craigslist for less than I could probably get if I were willing to sit around, wait for the right buyer, list the item on eBay, etc. I do it to get a fast response, have someone show up in a short period of time, and get the thing out of my house.

No idea what the seller's motive was here, but asserting that there would be "no market for stolen goods" if everyone "cared" about...something or other is nonsensical.

Aug 5, 2012
I picked the meeting spot which was inside a Walmart. He wasnt fishy at all or paranoid of cops or anything.

I'm not sure I understand your stance. Is every great deal on Craigslist stolen property? So you walk away from every great deal because you think it's stolen? Well I guess that's fine. More treasures for me then.

OP i wouldnt be worried about all the obvious jealousy here.

You got a great deal and now you can enjoy a great purchase.

Ignore the negativity. Well done for finding such a gem and acting on it.

Docd62

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
:confused:

Stolen goods must be sold well below cost, or not at all? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

I routinely sell items on craigslist for less than I could probably get if I were willing to sit around, wait for the right buyer, list the item on eBay, etc. I do it to get a fast response, have someone show up in a short period of time, and get the thing out of my house.

No idea what the seller's motive was here, but asserting that there would be "no market for stolen goods" if everyone "cared" about...something or other is nonsensical.

If people care if and would not buy something because it might be stolen who would the criminal sell too is the point. They are able to sell because some people don't care and just want it cheap. If they didn't have someone to sell it to why steal it unless its personal use.

Nothing wrong with selling something cheap if you have the right to sell it.

I never said stolen must be sold well below cost, but it is something to think about and is a red flag . Add a some more red flags and I would walk away.

You can justify the buying all you want and maybe every is good. Like I said I wasn't there so I don't know all the facts. I just stated that I don't like the comment about don't care if it was stolen. If that statement have been left out I would not have gotten into this. Just remember theft cost us all even the guilty.

Good day.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Wow didn't know there would be such an uproar on this. Look I understand most people are flaming me for the fact that they think I didn't care if it was stolen or not. If he blatantly said these iPads were stolen which I doubt he ever would then of course I wouldn't touch it because in the end it's not his property to sell and I'd always think the back of my mind it could be taken away from me. However....he never did say that and NOTHING about the transaction seemed fishy at all. It was one of the smoothest craigslist deals I've had because he answered all my questions and stayed in contact with me all day. In the 8 hours from when I first talked to him to when I picked it up he could've searched for more money and left the craigslist ad up. He took it down after we reached an agreement. If you have ever used craigslist it's sometimes a very frustrating experience dealing with people sometimes so when you find someone you think is 100% serious then you just don't want to deal with anyone else. I actually respected the fact that he kept his word which is very hard to find people that actually do that in the craigslist world. In the end though, could it have been stolen? Yes it could've but like I said, in my situation in which the sale went that smooth, there's no reason for me to care to think that. I just think it's so funny that people talk this big game about me being a bad person but if they came across this particular deal I'd love to see them pass on it. Sorry everyone for the post.

It's all good, I've had some fun on this thread, I don't think anyone was trying to be mean. It is an interesting topic really...

----------

The fact he took the ad down is very fishy for one and these people who steal and sell on craiglist are very good at what they do and know what to say and where to meet. But the fact you say you didn't care is the problem. You wanted to get the find of Craigslist that you had blinders on and would over look things. They know this, that why they sell so cheap.

I hope they weren't stolen and hope you did get a great find but I just wish you cared. And yes I would walk away and have.

I don't think it is odd the seller removed the post after the sale. That should be common practice on Craigslist.

trouble747

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
If people care if and would not buy something because it might be stolen who would the criminal sell too is the point.

"Might be stolen" would encompass many if not most of the used items sold on craigslist, eBay, etc...

----------

I don't think it is odd the seller removed the post after the sale. That should be common practice on Craigslist.

No kidding. It's annoying when people don't!

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Wow thats an absurdly low price... Even if this guy was desperate for money or even if they were stolen thats extremely low..... These things sell like hotcakes and are in high demand, he could have jacked up the price way more and sold them within a day on CL. I guess you got lucky or this guy wasnt sure exactly what he was selling.

Docd62

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
It's all good, I've had some fun on this thread, I don't think anyone was trying to be mean. It is an interesting topic really...

----------

He say that the ad was taken down after he made contact for what I believe was something like 8 hours.

Eddie Bombay

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
Yup gotta love craigslist, best deals and steals in town. Got my flawless iPad Mini 64GB for around 400 bucks.

Docd62

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
"Might be stolen" would encompass many if not most of the used items sold on craigslist, eBay, etc...

Not really and all you need is proof of the right to sell. There are many flags to look for. I for one wont buy anything if i have reason to suspect there is fraud. If you want to buy that's your right. Just want people to think first then act.

trouble747

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Not really and all you need is proof of the right to sell.

Which is...what? You don't think that there are thousands and thousands of used items for sale all over craigslist sites and on eBay for which the seller has no purchase receipt and for which no buyer will demand one? I've never once had anyone ask for "proof of the right to sale."

Yeah, it would definitely encompass "many" of the used items out there that are for sale..

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
Another awesome experience using Craigslist. I was able to buy an Apple TV2 with HDMI cord for $80.00 because he upgraded and had no need for the ATV2. Score!!

Docd62

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Which is...what? You don't think that there are thousands and thousands of used items for sale all over craigslist sites and on eBay for which the seller has no purchase receipt and for which no buyer will demand one? I've never once had anyone ask for "proof of the right to sale."

Yeah, it would definitely encompass "many" of the used items out there that are for sale..

Well eBay has the feedback, I read the it before i buy anything there and will pass up a great deal if i don't like what I've read and I'll ask the seller questions. I have sold many things on eBay and been asked to show proof many times. So don't say "no buyer would demand one" unless your part of every sale. Just because you haven't been asked doesn't it doesn't happen. On Craigslist I simple ask for a receipt or some other form if they don't have that I simply ask to see a drivers license. Not that hard to. If they don't to do something so simple I walk away. I have don't this and been asked to do this.

I watch over thousand of dollars every day and have shown that I can be trusted, why because I have a moral compass that I choose to use. If dont choose to use yours well I'm sorry. I've been around the block more than a few times and been around some shady people and done many things I'm not proud of but I pulled myself out before I went to far down that path. I now will do everything I can not to support criminals for I've seen the destruction it can and does cause first hand. As I said crime hurts us all in one form or another.

If you don't care where or how you get your stuff I fell sorry for you. Like someone else posted karma I a bitch.

Enjoy your life.

trouble747

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
So don't say "no buyer would demand one" unless your part of every sale.

Huh? I said: "You don't think that there are thousands and thousands of used items for sale all over craigslist sites and on eBay for which the seller has no purchase receipt and for which no buyer will demand one?"

Where did you get that I was referring to every sale? I quite explicitly was not.

Just because you haven't been asked doesn't it doesn't happen.

Again...what? Where did I say it "doesn't happen"?

I watch over thousand of dollars every day and have shown that I can be trusted, why because I have a moral compass that I choose to use. If dont choose to use yours well I'm sorry. I've been around the block more than a few times and been around some shady people and done many things I'm not proud of but I pulled myself out before I went to far down that path. I now will do everything I can not to support criminals for I've seen the destruction it can and does cause first hand. As I said crime hurts us all in one form or another.

Are you claiming that it's "immoral" to not ask someone to show you a receipt or their driver's license before you buy something from them? That's ludicrous! And not once have I suggested that it's appropriate to "support criminals." I only indicated that it's unreasonable to approach every situation as if you're dealing with a potential thief and stolen property.

If you don't care where or how you get your stuff I fell sorry for you. Like someone else posted karma I a bitch.

Who said that I don't care? I haven't mentioned anything about purchases that I've made, and above I noted: "Of course, purchasing goods you believe to be stolen is probably not the best idea. If it turns out the item was stolen and it's traced back to you, you'll be out the item and your money."

And I'm a state attorney man, I'm not suggesting anyone should break the law or purchase stolen goods. Try responding to what others actually post.

Docd62

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
No but your are suggesting people look the other way and not verify.

You said in your post you said no one would ask for a receipt got a used item will I have and have been asked for one. So your no one is a false statement. As no one implies everyone.

If your attorney then you know that moral and legal is not the same thing.

Also if your an attorney you have no moral compass. Lol. My brother in law is a judge and had very strong moral compass.

My whole point is the op should care if it was stolen and not say its not his problem. As a state attorney you should know that it is everyone's problem.

trouble747

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
No but your are suggesting people look the other way and not verify.

You must be a ball at a garage sale! "Look the other way" implies that one willfully ignore the obvious. I'm stating that it's absurd for a seller to demand proof of ownership in every encounter involving a private sale. It's your prerogative to do so, but it isn't a common practice . . . and in many cases, is going to be viewed as unreasonable by perfectly law-abiding, moral individuals.

You said in your post you said no one would ask for a receipt got a used item will I have and have been asked for one. So your no one is a false statement. As no one implies everyone.

Try reading that again. I stated: "You don't think that there are thousands and thousands of used items for sale all over craigslist sites and on eBay for which the seller has no purchase receipt and for which no buyer will demand one?"

"Thousands and thousands of used items for sale . . . for which no buyer will demand [a purchase receipt]." I'm a little baffled as to how you're reading that sentence and understanding it to mean that I'm referring to every single purchase that will ever or has ever taken place. I was referring to the "thousands and thousands" of private sales of used items that occur in which no request for proof of purchase is made.

My whole point is the op should care if it was stolen and not say its not his problem. As a state attorney you should know that it is everyone's problem.

...and I clearly indicated earlier in the thread that one should care whether or not they are purchasing a stolen iPad, even on a purely selfish level.

Docd62

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
You must be a ball at a garage sale! "Look the other way" implies that one willfully ignore the obvious. I'm stating that it's absurd for a seller to demand proof of ownership in every encounter involving a private sale. It's your prerogative to do so, but it isn't a common practice . . . and in many cases, is going to be viewed as unreasonable by perfectly law-abiding, moral individuals.

"Thousands and thousands of used items for sale . . . for which no buyer will demand [a purchase receipt]." I'm a little baffled as to how you're reading that sentence and understanding it to mean that I'm referring to every single purchase that will ever or has ever taken place. I was referring to the "thousands and thousands" of private sales of used items that occur in which no request for proof of purchase is made.

For the last time I have and have been ask for a purchased receipt on a "used item" so no one is a false statement

I sure most happen without someone asking but I have asked and been ask. Especially if I have reason to question the sale.

trouble747

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
For the last time I have and have been ask for a purchased receipt on a "used item" so no one is a false statement

I didn't say "no one" has ever asked for a receipt. I stated there are "thousands and thousands" of sales in which no one asks for a receipt. Do you understand what that means? It means that there are thousands of buyers that did not ask for a receipt. The sale took place with NO ONE involved in that sale asking for a receipt. It does not mean that "no one" has ever asked for a receipt in any sale that has ever taken place.

Not sure how much more I can slow this down for you...

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI

I sure most happen without someone asking but I have asked and been ask. Especially if I have reason to question the sale.

When I bought a a tv on craigslist claiming to be 2 months old I asked for and got the receipt, when I sold my iphone 4s on craiglist and was selling a brand new condition refurb the person asked for receipt.

Other times a receipt has not been asked for or given, but it does happen on occasion. In this case I might have asked for ipad receipts because of the too good to be true aspect...My 1500 tv was 750 so I was a bit skeptical too, but everything checked out and she just needed some quick cash.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
As a victim of theft, I hope everyone who doesn't care about buying stolen goods gets their goods stolen from them.

I understand not knowing. I understand not wanting to know. I understand trying not to think too much about it. But coming into a public forum to brag about the price and admit you don't care if they are stolen... well, you can go eff yourself. :mad:

Maybe you will feel differently some day when you come home and it's all your stuff that's gone.

Docd62

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Y
I didn't say "no one" has ever asked for a receipt. I stated there are "thousands and thousands" of sales in which no one asks for a receipt. Do you understand what that means? It means that there are thousands of buyers that did not ask for a receipt. The sale took place with NO ONE involved in that sale asking for a receipt. It does not mean that "no one" has ever asked for a receipt in any sale that has ever taken place.

Not sure how much more I can slow this down for you...

Please I don't deserve to talked down to I have not done that to you. It is just two different way of reading the same sentence. Not to mention you reworded your post a min of three times. And does it matter if thousand don't ask. I don't ask for a receipt at McDonald's doesn't make it the best way to do business. But since you decided to make it personal I don't explaining morals to you.

Last edited:

trouble747

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Please I don't deserve to talked down to I have not done that to you.

Nope, just twice accused me of making a "false statement."

It is just two different way of reading the same sentence.

No, not really. There's only one correct way to read the sentence I wrote. You intentionally took a small portion of that sentence out-of-context, and persisted in doing so even after I corrected you. Why, I'm not sure. I suppose because you wanted to accuse me of saying something "false" and couldn't come up with anything else.

But since you decided to make it personal I don't explaining morals to you.

Sorry for calling you out on that BS.

And I never "reworded" my post. Not sure what the hell you're talking about.

Docd62

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Nope, just twice accused me of making a "false statement."

No, not really. There's only one correct way to read the sentence I wrote. You intentionally took a small portion of that sentence out-of-context, and persisted in doing so even after I corrected you. Why, I'm not sure. I suppose because you wanted to accuse me of saying something "false" and couldn't come up with anything else.

Sorry for calling you out on that BS.

And I never "reworded" my post. Not sure what the hell you're talking about.

Here is you first post try reading what you wrote and you call me when you call me slow.

"You don't think that there are thousands and thousands of used items for sale all over craigslist sites and on eBay for which the seller has no purchase receipt and for which no buyer will demand one? "

Then you changed it around not once but twice. Sorry you have no since or morals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.