Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAco

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Google is clueless when it comes to hardware and supply.

I've been waiting 7 weeks for my Nexus 4. Still nothing.

And people are still getting 8-9 week wait times when they order today!

I think Google seriously underestimated demand for a phone so powerful and cheap. I mean seriously Google. By the time your customers get the Nexus 4 we'll be buying the Nexus 5. Google is just a disaster at this. And it's costing all of us time and money. Well, until they resolve their issues they will continue to loose money on existing phones in the market. And that's good. I want them to suffer for their amateur trading skills of physical goods.

It should just stay where it belongs, in software.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Google is clueless when it comes to hardware and supply.

I've been waiting 7 weeks for my Nexus 4. Still nothing.

And people are still getting 8-9 week wait times when they order today!

I think Google seriously underestimated demand for a phone so powerful and cheap. I mean seriously Google. By the time your customers get the Nexus 4 we'll be buying the Nexus 5. Google is just a disaster at this. And it's costing all of us time and money. Well, until they resolve their issues they will continue to loose money on existing phones in the market. And that's good. I want them to suffer for their amateur trading skills of physical goods.

It should just stay where it belongs, in software.

Who's able to order it today!? I would love to put in an order today - even if it took 8-9 weeks.....at least I'd know I'd be getting one at the regular price (and not the crazy premiums on eBay, t-mobile, amazon, craigslist)...

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Do you really believe that Google wants people to buy the Nexus 4? They just want to generate hype out of it, they're trying to maintain the number of devices always sold out. They are losing money on each device sold.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I am shocked at how the Nexus 4 release has been handled. We are almost into the third month since release, and since last month, it has been sold out, and no longer available to order. I could see it being out of stock, with maybe a 2 - 3 week lead time, but there has been no news whatsoever from Google as to when it will be fully back in stock and for sale again ? Both Google and LG have been very silent in the new year about the Nexus 4.

Some say, it has a 8 - 9 week lead time from order, that's ***** crazy :rolleyes:

What's the real story here ? Is LG to blame for not producing enough ? Is Google to blame, for not ordering enough from LG to start off with, thinking it would be a low volume seller ? Does Google not even care it's not available for sale anymore, because they don't make much money off such a low and cheap seller ?

Maybe Google have an all new Nexus 5 coming sooner, after Google I/O in Summer, with Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie ?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
:eek:

https://plus.google.com/114845009227159887898/posts/6SLyZXLaM3r

IMG:
131.jpg

EDIT: Is this likely to be HSPA+ fauxG or LTE 4g?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Well I'm doubting if I'll ever be able to get one of these now.....

So much for testing out Android. I WILL NOT pay the $100+ premiums on eBay or through T-Mobile and everything else off contract is expensive.

Google/LG really dropped the ball.....I'll hold out some hope that they'll restock - but it seems like a pipe dream.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Well I'm doubting if I'll ever be able to get one of these now.....

So much for testing out Android. I WILL NOT pay the $100+ premiums on eBay or through T-Mobile and everything else off contract is expensive.

Google/LG really dropped the ball.....I'll hold out some hope that they'll restock - but it seems like a pipe dream.

I lacked the self control and payed a huge premium to get mine :eek:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I lacked the self control and payed a huge premium to get mine :eek:

*Sigh* - if I have the money I probably will as well.....we just have to see.

If I'm going to pay $500+ for one though I'd likely consider a GS3 or Note 2 or wait for something new....one of the main reasons I like the N4 is the price.

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
Do you really believe that Google wants people to buy the Nexus 4? They just want to generate hype out of it, they're trying to maintain the number of devices always sold out. They are losing money on each device sold.

Nothing you typed is accurate.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
I just don't think they expected such demand. LG is producing other devices at this time other then the Nexus 4. Sounds like they would have to concentrate on the Nexus 4 only to keep up. Samsung seems to have more resources and would of done a better job at handling the demand. Might be the last LG Nexus you see.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
*Sigh* - if I have the money I probably will as well.....we just have to see.

If I'm going to pay $500+ for one though I'd likely consider a GS3 or Note 2 or wait for something new....one of the main reasons I like the N4 is the price.

I paid $415+$10 shipping for mine. I wasn't willing to go an extra $100+ for 8 more gigs of storage. Not worth it. I have other phones with SD card slots and a 32gb 5th gen touch to store the bulk of my media.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I paid $415+$10 shipping for mine. I wasn't willing to go an extra $100+ for 8 more gigs of storage. Not worth it. I have other phones with SD card slots and a 32gb 5th gen touch to store the bulk of my media.

Ya I've started looking for 8gb ones....my problem is still paying a $100 premium over what I could potentially get it for

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
LG deflects blame for Nexus 4 supply issues

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/14/3877318/lg-deflects-blame-for-nexus-4-supply-issues

We've all been blaming LG but maybe it's Google's fault?

Maybe Google didn't contract high enough quantities with LG ? The Galaxy Nexus I believe only sold around 500,000 units in it's first year, or other sites just saying far less than one million G Nex sold, but I could be wrong. And to date around 400,000 Nexus-4's have been produced in the first two months. Maybe Google never expected 400,000 units in the first two months, thinking that would take well over six months to reach that number of sales, based on the Galaxy Nexus sales ?

Yeah, I put the blame on Google, not ordering enough Nexus-4's to be produced. Way underestimating how many would be needed at launch.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The Nexus 4 battery life is decent, but it should be tons better given there's no LTE.

When the heck is 4.2.2 landing? =T

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
This was kind of dumb.

Was at the mall and curious about T-Mo's stock. I asked them if they had any in stock, "yes 7." I was thinking, cool but do they sell it unlocked b/c they only advertised contract prices. Nope, they do not sell it unlocked. I was told if I want to get it off contract I need to buy at $549 and pay for 90 days of monthly 4G, at least the $50 contract. And that they have no unlocked Nexus 4's ... wtf?! Also, $549? Was this guy making **** up?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.