Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:59 AM   #1
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Netflix? Yes....I know

Hello everyone!

Before I get swamped with people telling me that PowerPC Macs can't stream Netflix, I am aware of that and I mainly have questions as to why PPC Macs are left out of the Netflix loop.

According to Netflix, the minimum system requirements are Intel CPU and the ability to run MS Silverlight, right? That would of course be the minimum system requirements for a desktop of laptop computer running a desktop OS.

Netflix as most people know can stream to all sorts of devices and I know that not all of those devices have Intel CPUs or the same amount of RAM and GPUs required to stream it. With iOS, Netflix is an app and as far as I know does not utilize Silverlight; if it does then ok.

My main question is: is there a way to install a mobile version of Netflix onto a PPC environment that would work in pretty much the same way? With all numerous devices that can run Netflix, I'm surprised that a PPC with enough RAM and CPU speed just simply can't in some way. Thanks in advance.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:11 PM   #2
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

because no developers give a crap about powerpc processors anymore the newest ones are early 2005. Even intel processors from that time are being phased out. And no there is no way to run a mobile version of Netflix on old powerpc hardware.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:50 PM   #3
phr0ze
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
Hello everyone!

Before I get swamped with people telling me that PowerPC Macs can't stream Netflix, I am aware of that and I mainly have questions as to why PPC Macs are left out of the Netflix loop.

According to Netflix, the minimum system requirements are Intel CPU and the ability to run MS Silverlight, right? That would of course be the minimum system requirements for a desktop of laptop computer running a desktop OS.

Netflix as most people know can stream to all sorts of devices and I know that not all of those devices have Intel CPUs or the same amount of RAM and GPUs required to stream it. With iOS, Netflix is an app and as far as I know does not utilize Silverlight; if it does then ok.

My main question is: is there a way to install a mobile version of Netflix onto a PPC environment that would work in pretty much the same way? With all numerous devices that can run Netflix, I'm surprised that a PPC with enough RAM and CPU speed just simply can't in some way. Thanks in advance.
Get an apple TV, wii, xbox, ps3, bluray, or just about any peice of hardware made in the last 5 years and you can watch netflix.
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:57 PM   #4
roxxette
Banned

Apple tv or any other media streaming box, very cheap these days mate.
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:16 PM   #5
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxette View Post
Apple tv or any other media streaming box, very cheap these days mate.
The thing with that is that I also don't have a TV and can't afford one. I do have an Intel iMac that I use primarily for TV-like entertainment, but I was also hoping that there was a way to make my iBook G4 stream stuff.

Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:04 PM   #6
roxxette
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
The thing with that is that I also don't have a TV and can't afford one. I do have an Intel iMac that I use primarily for TV-like entertainment, but I was also hoping that there was a way to make my iBook G4 stream stuff.
Any chance for old monitor you might have ? or maybe a family member have around house ?

Its posible to emulate ios/android apps on mac and windows but the problem is i doubt such have suppor for ppc
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:32 PM   #7
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Any chance for old monitor you might have ? or maybe a family member have around house ?

Its posible to emulate ios/android apps on mac and windows but the problem is i doubt such have suppor for ppc
No luck on either of those. Had to sell my TV, iPad2(plus accessories), AppleTV2, 15" i7 MBP, 80 GB BC PS3 plus all the accessories and games, and entertainment center b/c of a crazy financial period. So in order to maintain mobile computing for school, I bought an iBook G4 and an iMac G5 for my kids(Total for both was $296). The funny thing is that having the iBook and iMac G5 has made my 2009 intel iMac seem like a brand new computer every time I get to use it after my kids are asleep.

And you're right about iOS emulators not being available for PPC, but it also seems like you need the source code as well to even be able to run it; so no luck. Luckily, Netflix is nowhere near to being a necessity.

Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:47 PM   #8
Intell
macrumors P6

I've discovered one way to get Netflix streaming working on a PowerPC Mac, Plex. On your Intell Mac, install the Plex Media Server and configure your Netflix account on it and install Silverlight if you haven't already installed in on your Intell Mac. Then find and download the latest version of the PowerPC Plex branch. Link it to the PMS on the Intell Mac and navigate to the Netflix channel and play a movie. PMS will transcode the video for you from Netflix and send it in a PowerPC friendly format to your machine. Note: This requires a fairly powerful Intell Mac and at least a 1Ghz+ G4 PowerPC to work nicely.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 6:21 AM.
Intell is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:59 PM   #9
roxxette
Banned

Damm ! @Intell Thanks for sharing mate.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:23 PM   #10
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
I've discovered one way to get Netflix streaming working on a PowerPC Mac, Plex. On your Intell Mac, install the Plex Media Server and configure your Netflix account on it and install Silverlight if you haven't already installed in on your Intell Mac. Then find and download the latest version of the PowerPC Plex branch. Link it to the PMS on the Intell Mac and navigate to the Netflix channel and play a movie. PMS will transcode the video for you from Netflix and send it in a PowerPC friendly format to your machine. Note: This requires a fairly powerful Intell Mac and at least a 1Ghz+ G4 PowerPC to work nicely.
Cool! I saw a while back that people were able to run Netflix on Ubuntu using WINE. I assume that this wouldn't be possible on PowerPC as the Ubuntu version is emulating Windows, whereas this would have to emulate a processor.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:55 AM   #11
AdrianK
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Do you have a link for that?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:59 AM   #12
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
Do you have a link for that?
XCode.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:08 AM   #13
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
XCode.
If I remember corrrectly, you have to use Pacifist to get the iOS Dev stuff on PowerPC.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:21 AM   #14
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
If I remember corrrectly, you have to use Pacifist to get the iOS Dev stuff on PowerPC.
Yes, but it's the only way.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:51 PM   #15
AdrianK
macrumors 68020

Quote:
XCode.
Wooops, forgot to highlight "Windows" :P

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs