Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I see on the forums main page that there are currently ~780,000 macrumors members!

Purely out of curiosity, what's the composition in terms of user titles? i.e. what percentage is newbie, member, regular....etc?

Can a forum admin publish this?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
At the top end, you can see that there are fewer than 50 posters above a "G5" rank.

I don' t think I've seen any stats for the lower ranks.

B

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I see on the forums main page that there are currently ~780,000 macrumors members!

Purely out of curiosity, what's the composition in terms of user titles? i.e. what percentage is newbie, member, regular....etc?

Can a forum admin publish this?

Have to say, I'd like to see the breakdown of this as well.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I'd be interested to see this to, but my guest is around half are newbies who signed up to ask or answer one question or just felt like it and never came back.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Edit: here is what I meant, although it is out of date and made by GGJstudios...

Great, that's exactly what I wanted to see!
Interesting that 6502 and upwards made up just 1.4% of membership in Jan 2012 (assuming that's when the spreadsheet was made). Membership seems to have gone up by a whopping 37% since then (570K --> 780K), so presumably this number is even lower now.

Would be interesting to see an additional column on this spreadsheet which gave the percentage of total posts (over some reasonable time period) made by each rank (6502 and upwards makes up just 1.4% of membership, but what percentage of total posts do they make?)

fiddlestyx

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Minnesota
I'd be interested to see this to, but my guest is around half are newbies who signed up to ask or answer one question or just felt like it and never came back.

I'd say its currently around this. I'm a good example, been a member since 2009 and am only a regular. I just recently started posting more frequently.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011

I'd say its currently around this. I'm a good example, been a member since 2009 and am only a regular. I just recently started posting more frequently.

Much more than half are newbies. Take a look at the link to GGJstudios' analysis in post #5. Shows that 93% were newbie in Jan 2012. I suspect its even higher now.

EDIT: But you were right about ~50% making no more than one post. In addition to breakdown of members by title, GGJstudios' analysis also shows that 59% of members in Jan 2012 had only made 0 or 1 post.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I seem to remember DoctorQ posting something like that at some point. I think something like 80% of registered users were a Regular or lower.

Edit: here is what I meant, although it is out of date and made by GGJstudios...

Thanks for posting this link; I remember reading it when it was first posted, and thinking at the time (sad nerd that I am) that this sort of thing is actually very interesting.

This is true. People come and go - stuff happens in their lives and they drop out for months at a time, and then choose to - or, are in a position to - re-engage with the forum. Not long after I joined MR, at very short notice, I was sent abroad for two years, and more or less ceased posting for a good while, as work commitments took precedence.

In any case, I think many join to get an answer to a specific question when they buy an Apple computer - I know I did - and some stay on for other reasons.

However, one of the advantages of a forum such as this, is that people come and go as they see fit, hence you can sometimes see bursts of online activity interspersed with long periods of silence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.